Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How to check batteries?

I tried to see what the water levels were on my house batteries only to discover that there is virtually no clearance. Is there a trick any of you could share? The basement door opens up to about 10-15 above horizontal.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6419.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	175912

norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I use a dental mirror and a flashlight to see down into my chassis batteries. If you haven't removed them in a while, you could remove them and check when out on the ground. Be sure to photograph or label all wiring first. When they're out, you can clean terminals, cases, and the battery mounts in the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

My battery trays slide out. Check on side by front corners for release latch. Can't imagine unhooking or hooking up batteries in that confined area. Short circuit waiting to happen.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering/marine-rv

On Amazon, likely also at local auto parts store, RV parts dealers. Worth it.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, if not on slide out tray and accessible, then a watering system is well worth the investment. Had one on a previous coach. Literally 30 seconds to fill the batteries - took longer to get out the bottle of distilled water.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
I tried to see what the water levels were on my house batteries only to discover that there is virtually no clearance. Is there a trick any of you could share? The basement door opens up to about 10-15 above horizontal.Attachment 175912
Install AGM batteries.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #7

Suggest having a closer look for a latch to allow that tray to roll out. If it does not, I'd be getting it modified or replaced to do so.

In the meantime, if in fact it does not slide out, find the guy that designed it that way and give him a firm tap along side the head with a nice solid piece of hardwood.

Sliding trays like this one are readily available from RV Parts stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	176204  
Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
How to check batteries?

Looks kinda like mine ..... Look closely the front piece the top is a bar that lifts up slightly releasing a catch on ea side then the unit slides out . It has probably rusted and corroded so it won't lift easily ( Ask me how I know) spray some lube on the right and left side latch attached to that bar and a little light hammer persuasion to push the bar up and free the latch on each side.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The tray DOES slide out. Where it is stored, it is not easy to pull it out. That is not the issue. When the tray is pulled out all the way, the door is just inches above the batteries making it very difficult to check water levels.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are those the original door struts? I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon with a similar setup. However, my door goes quite a bit higher. Perhaps you could replace the strut with one to help it open farther? Good luck!

John
JohnandRenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
The tray DOES slide out. Where it is stored, it is not easy to pull it out. That is not the issue. When the tray is pulled out all the way, the door is just inches above the batteries making it very difficult to check water levels.
Well,
Checking the water levels is a fairly important maintenance item. If it's difficult to get the tray out, well then, it's difficult. But, the very simple remedy at the minute is, RELEASE THE STRUTS. That will allow for the compartment door to swing much higher. It may in fact, swing to 180 degrees and, for the time it takes you to slide the tray out and perform a maintenance check on all the batteries, you could duct tape it to the body of the coach while it's in the 180 degree opening. At least that's what I'd do if they hadn't been checked in a while. You do what it takes to get something like this done so those batteries don't go dry.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

FIRE UP nailed it. Release the struts and push the door up as high as you want.

They make these RV door catches in a variety of sizes, colors and styles. One to match just about any motorhome. You could add one or two of these and it would make life much easier.

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent ideas! Thank you for making my life a little easier. ;< )
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Please do NOT use duct tape on your coach ! painted or not, it CAN pull the finish off...

but ditto on the flow-rite watering system every time I hook it up I appreciate it !

Tags
batteries