Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question How to Remove Fender Skirts on Adventurer

I have a plumbing leak on my 2000 Adventurer 35B. I am convinced that the leak is from the washer/dryer drain as it runs to the holding tank as it only leaks when water is emptied into the washer drain standpipe.
I want to access the leak which is immediately in front of RH rear wheel well. I tried gaining access from inside without any success. So I want to remove the exterior access panel which is primarily in the basement compartment in front of RH rear wheels.
My problem is that the access panel screws are 90% accessible but the other 10% require getting to the rear portion of the access panel - which unfortunately runs rearward under the body panel over the rear wheels (I'm calling it a fender skirt which I'm sure is a misnomer).
I've removed all visible screws holding the fender skirt and it is free to move inward and outward, but is still held along the top. There are two rivets through the top of the fender skirt but they are pretty well covered by the "skirt" molding that goes around the coach at the top of the basement level.
I've studied the Winnebago parts diagrams and searched this forum without any luck.
My question is how to finish removing the "fender skirt" - hopefully without damage.

Any input is sincerely appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is that you'll find it's hinged along the top just like the compartment doors. Once you've found and removed the screws on the bottom/sides it should hinge up.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chris,

Thank you for your kind response. Unfortunately, I removed all the lower screws and I too thought it might be hinged. But it is not - or at least not that I can determine. The wheel panel ("fender skirt") is fitted into what appears to be two pieces of extrusion. They, like the fender skirt are painted. But they on't appear to hinge.
I am so close but so far from success. I am convinced that is something rather simple as I cannot imagine having a complex procedure to get to an access panel!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

I have a 33 Adventuer and I know exactly what you are facing. The only way to get that panel off is to remove the trim strip above the cargo doors. There are screws in each hinge that screw into the trim piece from inside the cargo bin. They don't allow much room for a screw driver and I would suggest one of the zig zag type screw drivers to remove the screws since the 90 degree angle is very tight. You will have to remove ALL of the single screws in each hinge to get access to the screws that hold the panel on. They will be found under the trim piece once you remove it. I have been warned by some that if the clear coat was sprayed over the trim piece that you must use a razor blade to run it into the groove along the top of the trim to keep it from pulling the clear coat off of your MH. The guy at Winnebago said that after you do the screws that if a sealant or caulk was used, that the trim piece might just be able to be flipped up and held with tape. I'm not knocking Winnebago but this is one labor intensive system and seems like it could have been done in a simpler manner.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

On our coach the "fender skirt" is called a "wheel lip". A tire blowout forced me to replace one several years ago. When you get the wheel lip loose at the bottom and can hinge it up, there's a philips head screw right in the middle of each hinge. It's difficult to see unless you lie on your back and look straight up. Each compartment door hinge has the same setup. I had to remove all of those screws to get the molding free so I could get to the last hinge screws on the wheel lip. My molding strip was probably 18-20 feet long and spanned several compartments. There might be an easier way, but this worked for me. Good Luck!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Inspectorudy and Martind4,

I am sure you have both described exactly what I'm looking at. The process sounds complex and fraught with danger for someone that is not that handy - like me :-(

Now I know now what is involved and I'll have to decide if I'm willing to pay the price. An option would be to not use the washer/dryer :-)

Thank you to everyone that provided guidance!!

Tags
access panel, exterior access, fender skirt, washer/dryer leak