Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am having problems with the famous duct work separation. Has anyone ever removed the end cap to repair the duct work? Or maybe you have an idea on how to repair the duct work without removing the end cap, please share...
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am having problems with the famous duct work separation. Has anyone ever removed the end cap to repair the duct work? Or maybe you have an idea on how to repair the duct work without removing the end cap, please share...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have not heard of anyone taking this on themselves. And personally, I would be extremely careful about letting a dealership do it ...I would have to have a great deal of confidence in their service dept. Those I am aware of have taken their rig to the factory in Forest City IA when removal of the cap was required.

You might want to at least discuss it with Winnebago Owner Relations at email [email protected] or telephone 800-537-1885. They should be able to help you understand what you are dealing with, and may have suggestions on a capable dealer if you want to go with that option.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
I am having problems with the famous duct work separation. Has anyone ever removed the end cap to repair the duct work? Or maybe you have an idea on how to repair the duct work without removing the end cap, please share... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you see the separated ducts by the main A/C outgoing air duct.. looking up from underneath the coach?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mine had a seperation at the bottom of the duct that I could reach up to while lying under the coach. Someone here suggested "eternabond" tape so I ordered a 6 inch wide roll and it worked great.

If the duct seperates at the top then I'm off to Iowa for the fix. I don't think I would ever let a dealer try that one.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just recently, I checked my duct work for any leaks. I had re-taped the joints that I could reach from below and from inside the engine access compartment last year. In looking up inside the rear cap with a flashlight, I don't believe there is room to make repairs at the top. I also inspected the rear cap, wondering if I could remove it (with some help) if I just had to. Certainly looks like a major job that would require a very good shop or a trip to Forest City.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jtharley:
Mine had a seperation at the bottom of the duct that I could reach up to while lying under the coach. Someone here suggested "eternabond" tape so I ordered a 6 inch wide roll and it worked great.

If the duct seperates at the top then I'm off to Iowa for the fix. I don't think I would ever let a dealer try that one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can I buy Eternabond Tape?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You can go to this web location and buy it. They tend to have some of the best prices.

www.bestmaterials.com

Look under the heading "popular products" and select eternabond repair tape.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Shortcut to Eternabond

(edit): Redirected above link per Admin. (and prices ARE cheaper)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

How doi you know it is leaking at the top? Mine had a leak at the bottom and I fixed it with duct tape, the grey roll. In fact it makes sense to leak at the bottom as that is where the vibration is. I would tape the botom end anyhow plus at the angle going up. Before taking off the cap I would verify that it is leaking at the top by using a pole with a flag or material that would blow in the wind. Then I would make a trip to Forest City and let them repair it.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Where can I buy Eternabond Tape? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please consider buying your product from our primary sponsor; RVUpgrades.com.

Thank you!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I did the first repair on the lower duct with "duct tape" . After about 300 miles of driving in the rain the tape was half off and didn't work so well for me.

The eternabond is incredible! This product will make it a one time fix and by going in from the underside AND from the rear grille compartment you can get quite a ways up the duct just to be sure.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I just reviewed RVUpgrades.com Eternabond offerings. Their selection is broader and prices better than anywhere else I've seen posted.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I just returned from Lazy Days in Seffner. They found the leak and offered to repair for $1200.00, this involved removing the end cap and completely retaping and covering duct with mastic. I elected to come home and make the repairs myself. I understand you can reach a bit higher by removing one of the lights. Winnebago should be ashamed of themselves for using such flimsy tape.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
I just returned from Lazy Days in Seffner. They found the leak and offered to repair for $1200.00, this involved removing the end cap and completely retaping and covering duct with mastic. I elected to come home and make the repairs myself. I understand you can reach a bit higher by removing one of the lights. Winnebago should be ashamed of themselves for using such flimsy tape. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder if removing the rear camera mount panel would allow top access?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have had to retape the bottom A/C duct on our Vectra, I have been checking the top and wondering why a hole could not be cut in the paneling behind the rear TV and reach the duct from there. Of course the TV would have to be removed, but I think this would be a cheaper option. Has anyone done this or looked at it? Oh yes I used regular A/C duct tape and it is still good after a couple of years.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
I just reviewed RVUpgrades.com Eternabond offerings. Their selection is broader and prices better than anywhere else I've seen posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya think? Eternabond products
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy S:
I have had to retape the bottom A/C duct on our Vectra, I have been checking the top and wondering why a hole could not be cut in the paneling behind the rear TV and reach the duct from there. Of course the TV would have to be removed, but I think this would be a cheaper option. Has anyone done this or looked at it? Oh yes I used regular A/C duct tape and it is still good after a couple of years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may be wrong here, but I think the wall behind your TV is not just paneling but the same sandwich wall as the sides...luan, foam insulation, outer skin.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Completed the repair to the duct today. Retaped from the to as far as I could reach upward. Found out that you can remove the panels from the top and right side of the enclosure and is pretty much accessible. Use 2" eternabond and Gorilla duct tape. The gorilla duct tape is a great product, tough and sticky. Used a stick with a piece of ribbon and check all the remaining duct, no leaks. Leaks were from the bottom to about half way up. Thanks everyone!