Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

How to repair delamination?

Does any one have any practical ideas on how to repair small areas of what may be delamination? I don't mean "trade it" or sell it.

Is there a way to correct the problem, if only for a while.

I've thought of pop rivets, and wondered if those would work.

I've read that gorilla glue can work, but a real problem to apply and keep pressure on.

I'm sure others have had such problems and am looking for a possible way to reduce or repair.

Please don't tell me to contact the dealer. Their response was - not our problem. And please don't tell me to contact the manufacturer. Their response was - $34,000 to replace.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

G L Arnold

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year and model do you have and where is the delamination? I have some on the outside where the shower is. It was caused by a skylight that cracked and leaked in the spring.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pop rivets won't work. Fiberglass is glued to foam. I have some de-lam just above the right side window. going to remove the window and inside trim and try glue and clamp with wood. I'm hoping to try this in the next couple of weeks. Going to update with photos once done.
If you would like to see a cross section of the wall, look at the panels under your dinette. This could help in finding other types of glue

A friend of mine had some sidewall de-lam and he drilled a small hole above the area that he needed to repair. Pumped in glue. Then he clamped it by parking close to a wall and putting a cargo type clamp that puts pressure outwards between the rig and wall. It worked ok for his unit. You can still see some de-lam there but it's hardly noticeable.

If you could post some photos of the area in question, it would help.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Delamination is pretty much accept it and move on. Be sure and get ther water leak stopped though.

The wall is generally built with a fiberglass or Filon outer skin glued to a layer of luan (plywood), glued to the wall metal and foam. This is either vacuum bagged or pressure pinched to form a bond. The foam is sensitive to the type adhesive use as many will melt the foam. So a water based glue is best. Some times you can drill a small hole in the upper edga of the bubble and then apply pressure tot he spot to flatten it out and hope it will dry flat.

Park next to a solid wall , inject the glue intot he hole, cover with waxpaper and a flat board. Now rig a brace to push on the board and leave it overnight.

If it is extensive delamination, the wall is repladed on the coach or the whole outeskin is removed and reapplied. The big probem with the delamination is you have no idea as to the damage within the wall and did the rater run on down and start rotting the floor.

To get a wall removed and replaced is some where between $5 and $10K. On our Pace Arrow, the insurance covered it as roof damage due to ice (?) and spent $21,000 in 1997 and the coach as never right afte that.

Best of luck,
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #5

Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to help it hold together. The factory said $17,000 each to replace the sidewalls, for the pop bubble problem (different from the small delamination areas). Hardly worth it.

One area, just below the passenger side front window, is about a foot tall, foot and a half long. I've even considered drilling a hole clear through and using a bolt with big flat washers on each side.

Sounds like the hole, glue, and bracing is the way to go.

Thanks for the help, folks.

As always, this is a good place to get information.