Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How to stop step from extending

I know how to keep the step in an extended position with the door closed, but is there an option to prevent the step from extending when I open the door?

The other day I parked by a curb that was taller than the step, would have been nice to leave the step retracted.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

The only way I know of is to rig up a toggle switch that totally cuts 12 volts from reaching the step motor. Never tried this but I guess it would work. If you steps are controlled by a magnet, find that location and put a magnet near the sensor but in reality, hooking up a toggle switch would be much easier.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every Type A MH I've ever had has had a switch next to the door that turns the steps on or off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Every Type A MH I've ever had has had a switch next to the door that turns the steps on or off.
With all due respect, doesn't that switch only keep the steps from retracting once they have extended? That's what mine does.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My step switch has 2 positions. On, meaning auto mode based on the position of the screen door and Off, which fully extends the steps and leaves them in that position regardless of the position of the screen door.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
With all due respect, doesn't that switch only keep the steps from retracting once they have extended? That's what mine does.
Mine too. It's a safety thing. Prevents occupant from "free flight". Wouldn't want it any other way.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

I think it has changed over the years, but I know I can keep my steps in or out via the switch on my '04 with a Kwikee step. Only catch is the "first out" feature where after the ignition has been cycled, the step will go out once, even with the switch in the off position. It's all in my Kwikee manual.

My routine to keep my step in:

Open the door, with the switch on, so the steps go out.

Close the screen door, steps go in.

Reach in through the slide opening and turn off the switch.

Open the screen door. Step stays in.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I think it has changed over the years, but I know I can keep my steps in or out via the switch on my '04 with a Kwikee step. Only catch is the "first out" feature where after the ignition has been cycled, the step will go out once, even with the switch in the off position. It's all in my Kwikee manual.

My routine to keep my step in:

Open the door, with the switch on, so the steps go out.

Close the screen door, steps go in.

Reach in through the slide opening and turn off the switch.

Open the screen door. Step stays in.
I'll give that a try, thank you.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My step switch has two positions. With the key off, the upper position makes the steps follow the door, and the lower position makes the steps stay out. With the key on, the steps always follow the door, regardless of switch position. If you remove the ignition signal from the step control module, the lower position will allow the steps to stay where they are, either in or out, while the upper position makes the steps follow the door. CAREFULL, two errors can occur: 1, dangerous fall out of the coach when the steps are retracted and someone exits, and 2, driving away with the steps out.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #10

I just went out and tried that. Nope. It will only stay extended.
I have been real close to high curbs and almost having the steps bang into the curb, almost. Another place to have a Very Visible note of some sort to watch the steps so they don't hit the curb, like I have for my slide locks by the control panel. " REMOVE LOCKS ". Pink sticky note until I find something better.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

On our coach, the magnetic switch is attached to the door frame in an exposed position. I seem to remember placing a small magnet on that switch, so that the screen door position no longer mattered. It turns out that the magnet attached to the head of a Philips Sonicare toothbrush works for this application.

So, engine's running, and you see from the inside that the curb looks high or close. You apply the magnet, open the door and climb down to the ground. If all is clear, climb back in, remove the magnet. If all is not clear, break out the stepstool or small ladder and transit the door as needed. Shut off the engine. Reverse process to leave.

It takes some time for the steps to open fully. The instructions warn not to step onto the steps until fully open. Hopefully, that delay and your eyes will keep you from falling out the door should you forget to remove the magnet.

I follow "tderonne's" process to keep the steps in after the first time they go out. No stopping that first time, without the magnet.

Of course, with the engine running the steps will go in and out with the door, each time, without the magnet. This is regardless of the position of the wall switch.

You could add a relay to the 12V power line go the steps, with another switch to the relay, and immobilize the steps completely. Would be nice to have that switch lit in a different way, to attract attention, to prevent falls out the door. Same with leaving a magnet in place. :-0
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
So my other issue and reason for wanting to keep the step retracted, I once parked by a curb. The height was good enough to open the step but as the air escaped from the suspension, the bus lowered and the step was stuck on the curb.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #13

On ours i can keep the step in but i have to hit the house battery disconnect switch before opening the door.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
On ours i can keep the step in but i have to hit the house battery disconnect switch before opening the door.
That's a very good idea, thank you.