Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

HWH hydraulic help

Sorry but this might be long, I recently purchased a 2000 winnebago adventurer 35u. 1st time rv'er, but an avid diy'er. The previous owner said his last time out the living room slide wouldn't extend, I noticed a little fluid leaking from the rails. Got it home and tried it, checked the fluid ( empty ) after filling it hit the button, one side moved the other nothing. After checking further I noticed a piece of carpet lodged under the end that wasn't moving. Removed that, tried the button again and the 2 cylinders were way outta sync. I manually retract it back in and bleed the lines. Tried again and noticed the leak has worsened. Removed the cylinders and had them rebuild. I hooked them up uninstalled to sync them up and they went in and out 2 times on the 3rd cycle they stopped about half way out. They won't go back in or out any further? The motor runs, I believe the pumps working, It acts like one of the solenoids isn't closed. When it was all hooked up and i manually retract the slide I tried it and it didn't move, so I rechecked and tightened the solenoids and it moved. Could I have damaged the solenoid by tightening to tight? Not only does the slide rams not move I also tried the Jacks and nothing is working? I'm stumped...
Ed.Kratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #2

Hi
I think given that you have solved your leak issues I would get an Ohm meter and check the coils on each solenoid you should show resistance on the coils and both should be about the same, if you see no resistance then the coil is open and will need replacing. If the coils are showing the same resistance I would then see if your getting voltage to the coil extend the wiring so you can energize while being in a safe place. If no voltage work your way back to the switch.
Good Luck hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #3

This sounds like among other things you might have a shuttle valve problem. I'm going to look for my notes about when I had a similar issue. In the mean time, maybe AZPete will give his trouble shooting advice.
Stan
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

I have a 2004 35U with HWH system. Not sure about the slide issue. My jacks are not working. Pump runs with load. Replaced the shuttle valve with no change. All troubleshooting points at 4 bad solenoids. Each solenoid 15amp fuse was blown. It started out with a lazy jack coming up. I didn't know at the time and I sure do now. If you run the system too long you risk burning out the solenoids. I'm not sure but in store mode it might be all solenoids stay active until all jacks report up. I think the system should be designed that each solenoid turns off as its jack reports stored. And that each jack solenoid be on a timer so as to not stay engaged longer then a few minutes. The slides solenoids are not as much a risk as you control how long they are engaged.

These solenoids are not cheap. They can be rebuilt but that's wasn't much less then the quote I got on new ones. Mine have the little manual release valve you open with the hydraulic tank cap. The new solenoids have cantilever release valves. New ones can go as fast as the ones you replaced if your not careful about shutting the system down if engaged for more then 5 minutes or so.

All my troubleshooting was related to jacks. I didn't see any mention about fuses for the slide solenoids. You might want to look into that as well as take an ohm reading on yours? Mine all tested about the same yet they still blew the fuse. I did speak with AZPete as well as Chuck at Stuarts Service. 800-826-6267 He was very helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Thanks, gentleman for your advice. I checked the resistance on the solenoids and they seemed fine. Called Chuck at Stuarts Service, He was very helpful. He had me bypass the shuttle valve and try to extend the rams and it worked, a little slow but it worked! He's sending me a new shuttle valve. One thing I noticed when I went to reinstall the rams into the slide was when I unhooked the hydraulic lines the fluid looks milky and bubbly, like there is a lot of air in the lines? Hopefully when I get the new valve I can run the air out of the system.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I had solenoid problems, but at someone’s suggestion I cleaned the ground cluster coming from the pump/solenoids going to the frame. They seemed ok , but afterword, it worked as expected.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #7

Can you describe how he had you bypass the shuttle valve? Like to know for future reference.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed.Kratz View Post
Thanks, gentleman for your advice. I checked the resistance on the solenoids and they seemed fine. Called Chuck at Stuarts Service, He was very helpful. He had me bypass the shuttle valve and try to extend the rams and it worked, a little slow but it worked! He's sending me a new shuttle valve. One thing I noticed when I went to reinstall the rams into the slide was when I unhooked the hydraulic lines the fluid looks milky and bubbly, like there is a lot of air in the lines? Hopefully when I get the new valve I can run the air out of the system.
A "milky color with bubbles" indicates water mixed into the oil. This would be a great time to flush the lines with new oil, then bleed air out of the system by operating the jacks, refilling tank, repeating until oil level remains at full. That is the only way to purge air from the system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
Can you describe how he had you bypass the shuttle valve? Like to know for future reference.
Well on my pump manifold, on the top is where the shuttle valve is. It has a metal U-shaped line attached from the shuttle valve to a 90 degree elbow, remove the line and cap the elbow, allowing you to run your slides only but you can't run your jacks. It worked for me anyhow.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
Commercial Member

ray is right. the pump fluid has been contaminated. was this coach in a flood? if so, you also need to check the park brake booster tanks, rear end fluid. any fluid canister that holds fluid for water in it.
i have found this a lot after hurricane katrina, and the recent hurricane in houston
if you have oil lubed front hubs check them.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, hydraulic