Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
HWH Jacks

A friend of ours is in Las Vegas and can't get the drivers front jack up. It's a 2000 Journey. He's tried to lift it and wont budge. Fluid is toped off.

Any ideas?
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
A friend of ours is in Las Vegas and can't get the drivers front jack up. It's a 2000 Journey. He's tried to lift it and wont budge. Fluid is toped off.

Any ideas?
To lift it manually, you need to manually release the pressure of the correct solenoid, there is a solenoid for each jack, it either has a nut to back off or a lever to lift up. Cant remember exactly, but if it has the nut only back it off 1 turn.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #3

Fluid topped off can be an issue . Fluid should only be checked or added when all jacks are fully retracted, there has to be room in the tank for the fluid to return from the jack .

Then there is the manual retract info , it would help to know what series of HWH system the coach has .
Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Fluid topped off can be an issue . Fluid should only be checked or added when all jacks are fully retracted, there has to be room in the tank for the fluid to return from the jack .

Then there is the manual retract info , it would help to know what series of HWH system the coach has .
If it won't budge at all, then, from what I understand, you need to work the pressure release.
If it won't come all the way up, and he is still getting the warning, he should be able to lever up the jack with a 2x4 or shovel. But you need to make sure the retract function hasn't timed out. Turn on, select store, and try and pry up.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #5

It is a nut on the orginal style solenoid and a lever if it the solenoid was replaced with the newer style.

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
They got it up now and headed to Kingman. The tank was bone dry! After a few cycles the jack came up. They also have a heating problem but thats another story. Thank you all for the quick response!

Dave
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
Commercial Member

he must have a large leak somewhere. fluid or not, if the leveling system was in retract mode, it should have come up. the alarm system on the hwh leveling system is not effected by the fluid level. only a jack extended more than 1/2 inch will cause the jack down alarm.

power gear systems uses a float inside the tank for their alarm. not hwh. even at that, its a low fluid alarm, not a jack down alarm.

in an emergency, and the jack is almost up, you can disconnect the jack down switch at the top of the jack assembly. that shuts off the buzzer.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #8

Correct me if I am wrong:

* Hydraulic pressure is used to extend the jack
* Spring pressure retracts the jack

So if all but one jack is not coming up, then the line has pressure in it, assuming the obvious.

Therefore, you need to verify you still have 2 good springs connected to the jack-foot; and if you do then the only other option to raising your jack is to relieve the line pressure by turning the "T" handle on the solenoid... so the spring can do it's job and retract the jack.

My HWH jack solenoids are located under my steps in an Itasca 40AD. Yours maybe located elsewhere.

Note: I suppose it's possible you have something that clogged the Shuttle Valve that maybe blocking the pressure from escaping. If this is the case you need to clear and bleed the line.

Lifeline: What happens when you start the engine... and with you your foot on the brake... and then you put the transmission in gear... what happens to your jack?

I'm asking because moset HWH systems have an "Override" feature that retracts jacks when you put the transmission in gear. (This is just a Lifeline. It may or may not work?)

Fishing Trip: Can you cycle your jacks in hopes of "clearing" the line so it retracts properly?

Keep us posted on you HWH model number and what you did to fix your problem. Thanks!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

I also have a HWH jack on a 2001 Journey which will not come up. It will only come back up by using a floor jack. It makes a noise going down and when you release the jacks all except
the left rear comes up. The shaft my be bent. Are these rebuildable or where are replacements available?
crsangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #10

Did you try cleaning the jack with WD-40 and cycling it a few times?

But first, and while I have not confirmed you can do this, I read once that you can run Q-tips inside the jack seal to clean all the junk that has accumulated in there.

You know: There are some jobs you WANT to pay for and this maybe one of them.

Let us know what happens and good luck. ...and be save if you crawl under your rig!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
As I understand it (based in part on my experience) the seals on the cylinders become tight restricting the movement. WD40 helps but doesn't eliminate the problem. I had this problem and decided to replace all my cylinders. Expensive but well worth it! All my jacks retract quickly even in freezing weather.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

HWH jacks

I have tried WD40 even taken them off.I didn't get any further along due to a trip planned, so it went back on. I know anything that can be put together can be taken apart. My question was has any one taken one apart and are repair parts available.
crsangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsangel1 View Post
My question was has any one taken one apart and are repair parts available.
Yes I have taken one apart. You are correct, not impossible.

Proper repair parts are not available. I concur with Craig (Rcdukes), the lip/rod seals get tight and the springs can't retract the jack. I scoured the internet and a few hydraulic shops for replacement seals. No luck finding an exact replacement. My assumption is they are a proprietary part, like much of the other components of the system. I have heard folks say they have had local shops repair their jacks. I assume one of two things is happening. One, the tight seals aren't being replaced, but are being honed out (I have heard one mention of this being done), or two, that shops are using a seal that fits and works, but isn't an exact replacement.

A thread with some more information.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Why not contact HWH. I have found them great to work with. They make the parts in their factory in Moscow, Iowa. You can even get a free inspection (if you are planning to be on rt 80 in Iowa) if you make an appointment.

Tags
hwh, jacks