Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Jacks, Diagonally Opposed Jack Malfunction

I recently had my HWH leveling jacks in my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U malfunction. What was strange was that neither the left front and right rear jacks would work. I'd had the motorhome in the shop to have some front slide-out hydraulic hoses replaced. Everything worked before taking it to the shop, and it worked OK the first time I tried it at home but at some point both jacks stopped working and were both in the stowed position.

I was puzzled since, at least with my non-automatic system, two diagonally opposed jacks would never operate together. It would always be both front, both rear, both left or both right. Also, since it was two jacks instead of one, it was unlikely they, or their associated valves would fail at the same time.

I decided to look for electrical issues first (less messy and easier) before embarking on a lengthy troubleshooting sequence and discovered that a two pole connector at the top of the main pump/control unit was disconnected. I surmise that it had been disconnected during servicing, reconnected but not latched so it later came loose from vibration. After reconnecting and latching it, everything was fine.

I'm don't know why two, diagonally opposed jacks would have a common electrical connection but the fact that they do gives us a handy diagnostic tool. If you have two diagonally opposed jacks not working at all, look for a loose electrical connector before embarking on more complex troubleshooting.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Great stuff Cam. Glad you got it sorted out and glad you posted the info here for the rest of us to digest. These little tips may help someone in the future who has a similar issue.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I had 2 or 3 solenoids replaced on mine after some were damaged during a mobile service adventure. After I got it home the jacks worked, but something didn't seem right ... jerky and strange. I figured out that the jacks were working in pairs corner to corner rather than on each side. The tech had crossed wires when he hooked them up. Make sure yours are working in proper pairs!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Commercial Member

on hwh systems, diagonally opposed jacks do not work together. both fronts, both rears, both left side or right side works together. thats so the chassis is never warped during leveling. we level on planes instead of corners.
check the operators manual for correct sequence of operation.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

azpete,

I realize that the diagonally opposed jacks never work together, but why would one connector (two wires in, two wires out) affect only a diagonally opposed pair? This is clearly what I experienced. At first, I thought that two plugs had been switched, but, if that was the case, the other plug would have connected to the remaining diagonal pair.

I'm wondering if the plug in question contains ground wires, in which case it wouldn't matter how they were paired up.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Commercial Member

yeah, there is definitely a wiring problem. the wiring diagram in the back of the manual should help. the two wires in each solenoid plug have one hot and one ground. the grounds are common, with some of the systems using the grounds within the control box to control retracting. but not extending.
the signal for each solenoid to open also comes thru the box. i would check the wires in the plug on the back of the box for the solenoids to see if any of them are loose, check the plug to see that its properly seated. has the control box been removed lately, or unplugged. there are some boxes that the 12 pin plug can be plugged in upside down. check the wiring diagram to confirm the right position. use the wire numbers and position in the plug to check.
please call me if i can help. 1-602-549-3638 or pfmaddox@att.net
paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks