Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Five2o,

Thanks for the input but my manual specifically states WD 40. AZPete told me the WD 40 cleans the shaft and lubricates the seals.

I've always used silicone spray on past MHs and did the first time on this DP as that is what I had in my tool chest. After talking with AZPete reading my HWN manual I switched to WD 40. Still the jacks are slow and getting slower and 2 almost never come all the way up without assistance.

WD is a good cleaner but poor lubricant. Silicone won't hurt anything and no harm if it doesn't improve performance...Corrosion X wont affect any rubber etc but will lubricate.

My rear jacks never need lubrication...the fronts get sticky/slow from time to time,,,right now in -15 weather they still operate fine. Just try it there is no down side.

You can't "over extend" the jacks...they are fine fully extended.

Air dryer needs replacement every 3 years...no reason to physically drain air tanks unless something is broken.

Anyway this is all just my opinion of a lot of use from my motor home over the years, no reason to use any of it...keep the rubber down!
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
rrtribble;

I believe cbeier & FIRE UP have given you correct information. My operating manual says to turn the engine off and turn the ignition switch to accessory. Hit the HWH power button twice to start automatic level process. The first thing the unit does is dump the air to the air bags. After the air is dumped the 2 jacks on the lowest side will drop until they have lifted that side to level to turn out the 2 lights on that side. Next if the front or back lights are on the jacks on the remaining off level side come down until those 2 lights go off. If there is still a jack that is still not firmly down the unit will drop that jack until all 4 jacks are down and all 4 sides are level. HWH always uses 2 jacks simultaneously on the same side to avoid twisting the frame. This has worked for me the past years. Trying to dump the air with the engine running is wrong as has been stated.

In regard to the air drain lanyards there should be 3. When I purchased my Horizon I could not find mine either. When I had my first service done I told the shop to find them for me. They found all 3 tucked sway in the frame rail where Freightliner tucks them when they manufacture the chassis. The box builder is supposed to reroute the lanyards to the passenger side near the front wheel. In this case WGO failed to do so.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
rrtribble;
... Trying to dump the air with the engine running is wrong as has been stated....
Actually, at least on our Freightliner chassis as long as you're not in gear you can dump the air (in the suspension) with the engine running. The airbags won't refill until you either put it in gear with the engine running or hit 'Store' on the HWH controls.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Interested to see what you find. At least with the OP's and my Freightliner chassis it should operate the way I described.
Ok I fired the old girl up. After that I shut it down. I pumped the brake until front and rear to 60 psi. Result air bags full. Then pumped the brakes down to zero....Result Air bags remained full.

So thanks I learned something.

On the dumping I check my Endeavor manual the procedure includes dumping before lowering jack.

I checked my 210manual (Straight Jacks) and it also dumps before lowering jacks.

I think dumping is necessary because with inflated air bags not only do your jacks extends further your springs are stretched further. So when the pressure bleeds off after a day or so and you retract it might retract hard and hurt the jacks. So I will follow recommended procedure.

The other Item I mentioned about the back brake was all wrong. Don't know what I was thinking other than with inflated tanks and emergency brake actuated, the MH could move if you accidently plush the button. I have done this at least once while working at the console. So I like to deflate my tanks.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Ok I fired the old girl up. After that I shut it down. I pumped the brake until front and rear to 60 psi. Result air bags full. Then pumped the brakes down to zero....Result Air bags remained full.

So thanks I learned something.

On the dumping I check my Endeavor manual the procedure includes dumping before lowering jack.

I checked my 210manual (Straight Jacks) and it also dumps before lowering jacks.

I think dumping is necessary because with inflated air bags not only do your jacks extends further your springs are stretched further. So when the pressure bleeds off after a day or so and you retract it might retract hard and hurt the jacks. So I will follow recommended procedure.

The other Item I mentioned about the back brake was all wrong. Don't know what I was thinking other than with inflated tanks and emergency brake actuated, the MH could move if you accidently plush the button. I have done this at least once while working at the console. So I like to deflate my tanks.
Hey Greystroke,
Question for ya. in the last part of your statement above, you say: ".....other than "inflated" (I think you mean FULL) and, emergency brake "actuated"....the motorhome could "move" if you accidentally push the button....

I'm not sure I get your meaning of emergency brake "ACTUATED". Do you mean RELEASED? Or, do you mean APPLIED? If, in your statement, you mean APPLIED, that coach isn't GOING ANYWHERE. If you mean RELEASED, yes, you can move it all over the planet until you APPLY it. And, as stated, if your tanks are FULL, your parking/emergency brake will remain RELEASED until your air tank system (all of them) drops to around, 30-45 psi, depending on each individual system, how accurate the gauges are and more.

At that point, it will auto-apply, all on it's own. Or, those parking/emergency brakes will apply if you manually do it, even with full tanks. Hope I'm not being too redundant here or, taking the risk of sounding like you're not aware of how your coach works.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Greystroke,
Question for ya. in the last part of your statement above, you say: ".....other than "inflated" (I think you mean FULL) and, emergency brake "actuated"....the motorhome could "move" if you accidentally push the button....

I'm not sure I get your meaning of emergency brake "ACTUATED". Do you mean RELEASED? Or, do you mean APPLIED? If, in your statement, you mean APPLIED, that coach isn't GOING ANYWHERE. If you mean RELEASED, yes, you can move it all over the planet until you APPLY it. And, as stated, if your tanks are FULL, your parking/emergency brake will remain RELEASED until your air tank system (all of them) drops to around, 30-45 psi, depending on each individual system, how accurate the gauges are and more.

At that point, it will auto-apply, all on it's own. Or, those parking/emergency brakes will apply if you manually do it, even with full tanks. Hope I'm not being too redundant here or, taking the risk of sounding like you're not aware of how your coach works.
Scott
Ok here is the statement you have problems with.

…...other than with inflated tanks and emergency brake actuated, the MH could move if you accidently plush the button. .

Lets change this to
…..other than with pressurized tanks above 45 psi and emergency brake knob pulled to lock the brakes, the motor home COULD move if you accidently push the emergency brake knob thereby unlocking the brakes.

Hope this is better for you.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Stuck in IL this winter so working on DP to do some little things. Stacks have been sticking off and on so contacted AZPete. Have been putting jacks down and spraying with WD40 and retracting. Still have 2 jacks that are intermittent. BIG PROBLEM is that the last 2 times when I ran engine and filled air bags the Manual Air Dump button on the pad doesn't do anything. When I hit auto level it does not dump the air tanks so jacks go down a the raised height but when I retract the jacks after about an hour or so the front of my DP drops on the frame with a thud before retracting jacks. Rear of DP did not drop.

Since buying DP last May I've only used the jacks when dumping on the road to get level - had engine idling during the dump - and here at home on the concrete pad. Mostly overnighted on grass, gravel or blacktop 1 night at a time so never put jacks down.

Air bags inflate and pressure holds at about 140psi. If I park without jacks air suspension gradually decreases over 3 to 5 days depending on temps.

Made appointment with HWH, Moscow, IA for 4/8/19 but they don't honor my ESP so I'll have to pay and then work with Compass for refund. Thought about calling Winnie as they do honor it.

2nd Problem - Manual says to turn front tires to left and you will be able to release air tanks using cable in wheel well. Finally found cable stuffed into chassis rail. Worked it out but no way do I want to pull it as I am physically in the wheel well trapped between the tire and coach. Only one cable so tried driver's side and found another there.

How do ya'll do it?

Thanks in advance - Richard

Noticed your comment on HWH. I made 2 trips to both HWH and Winnebago. Here’s my take if it’s HWH jack or slide mechanism problem. Go to HWH they are knowledgeable and efficient on their products. I saved $2000 and 2 weeks over what Winnebago quoted me on a HWH assembly by driving to Moscow. Work took less than 3 hours.
Margaritaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Margaritaman

Thanks for the info on your visit to HWH. I have an apt for 4/8/19. Hoping weather will allow using DP while waiting on service. Not planning on taking Toad at this time.

Since so cold and snowy (but we missed the last 8+ inches now looking at rain turning to ice tomorrow - yuk!) I have had time to do some reading as my eyes allowed after surgery. Guess what I learned?

On my Lippert pad I just pressed Auto and down they went, Pressed Store and up they came. At the dealer when I picked up DP he pushed auto and tanks emptied, you could feel it settle on the chassis, followed by the jacks going down. Sooooo, in reading my manual and checking online I learned that to get Auto to work right you have to press it "TWICE". Once has about a 20 sec pause then jacks begin going down buy no tank dump. Manual button requires holding until tanks dump. Wow! I even had this underlined in my manual but it never took. Old age I guess.

Maybe when the weather breaks in a couple of weeks and it gets up to above freezing I'll go out and try it. If all works then the only problem I have is the jacks sticking, which may just be the result of them not being used for so long, and location and use of my lanyards to check tanks for moisture. Found 2 but am told it has 3. Still have to figure out how to reach them with tires straight in wheelwells. We'll get there!!!!

Enjoy your travels and stay safe ya'll - Richard
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Slow jacks probably are not a concern unless your talking over 4 or 5 minutes. Call and ask the service manager at HWH.
Lanyards are both front and back of right front wheel on mine.
Margaritaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, problem