Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it!

The weather warmed up today here in Springfield, IL and my EZ-Drain plug, nipple and plastic tubing came in so I taped the slobber tube hooked vacuum to oil fill and taped in place. Turned on vacuum, crawled under DP and removed oil drain plug with no oil coming out - not even a drop! Inserted EZ-Drain plug and crawled out from under DP and turned off the vacuum. I was patting myself on the back when I leaned over as saw oil coming out of the RZ-Drain. Under I went and turned it off. Seems that when I was checking everything out I had opened the valve.
Back under the DP with my hose and gallon jug I drained out another 3 quarts of oil and wiped up some of the oil.
Climbed out from under DP and started engine and drove rig forward so I could clean up my mess only to realize I had left the gallon jug under the DP and now oil was flowing out of it. 2 qts of oil on my concrete quickly turned into 3 qts and surely STUPID was written on my forehead.

After an hour my oil dipstick is reading right on the full mark so I should not be seeing any more slobbertube excrement.

In April I'll take another oil sample for testing. With 152K miles on it the test results were good. We'll see how things go but changing oil nest time should be a breeze as long as I can remember to removed jugs BEFORE moving DP. Oh well, live and learn.

Have a great day - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

Pour generous amount of dawn dishwashing detergent on the spill and scrub it a little with water and brush but dont rinse. Youll be amazed at how clean it will be in a few days.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Jon C. Forgot about the dawn. I;m just laughing at my mistakes and when I told my wife she laughed too.

Have a great day - Richard
Old 11-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Cheap cat litter goes a long way in cleaning up oil on concrete too.
Well, I suppose the expensive stuff would work too, but why would you want to use that for this purpose?!?
Old 11-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Cement powder - not concrete mix - will absorb a lot of the oil and leave the cement white again.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

try pouring gasoline on a thick layer of cat litter. It helps "liquify" the oil so the litter can absorb it better.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Pretty sure that you've described exactly how the shop would do the job you accomplished.

As far as clean up of the cement goes, previous posters didn't go far enough with their suggestions, IMO.

What you do is get a 1 foot square of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood. Dump one scoop of cat litter on the oil spill (pouring gas on it is optional, not really needed). Place the plywood square on top of the cat litter. Step on the square and keep pressure on it as you swirl it around on the oil spot.

When you've done that for a couple minutes, you won't be able to tell there was ever an oil spot there. Sweep up the cat litter and toss.

Some brave souls take a run at the plywood square, jump on it with both feet, and ride it across the oil spot on a layer of cat litter bearings. Broken arms and legs can be the result, but it's hilarious fun for those watching.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Pretty sure that you've described exactly how the shop would do the job you accomplished.

As far as clean up of the cement goes, previous posters didn't go far enough with their suggestions, IMO.

What you do is get a 1 foot square of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood. Dump one scoop of cat litter on the oil spill (pouring gas on it is optional, not really needed). Place the plywood square on top of the cat litter. Step on the square and keep pressure on it as you swirl it around on the oil spot.

When you've done that for a couple minutes, you won't be able to tell there was ever an oil spot there. Sweep up the cat litter and toss.

Some brave souls take a run at the plywood square, jump on it with both feet, and ride it across the oil spot on a layer of cat litter bearings. Broken arms and legs can be the result, but it's hilarious fun for those watching.
Had to LOL about those cat litter bearings!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #9

Richard,
When you stop laughing, and get your floor all cleaned up spic and span, you ought to think about epoxing it. I know, I know, it's a few bucks but, when done, it's the almighty remedy for anything and everything that will EVER spill again. I've had oil spills, anti-freeze spills/leaks, transmission oil spills etc. and don't have a single drop of evidence any of it ever happened. And the coolant leak was there for days and I didn't know it 'till I pulled the rig out to wash it. T

That stuff wiped right up like it was sitting on glass. Anyway, sorry for your "accidental" occurrence but, I'm also happy that your vacuum operation for the changing to your valve, worked as good as mine did. Wasn't that a kick to completely remove that original plug and not lose a drop?!!!!!!!!!
Scott

The pics show before and after. Without a doubt, the best improvement to the garage, EVER!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060415.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	228000   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	228001  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

WOW Awesome garage, im jealous!!!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott,

Great looking garage. I'm envious!!! Had to put off constructing mine this winter due to some issues with S&B but planning on getting it done next year in the Spring.

Will be cleaning entire pad, 100'x20' before erecting. Thinking of going 24'x60'. DP is 36' but would like workshop area. Will power wash before its erection then look at applying epoxy. Did that in the aircraft hanger back in the 1960's and worked great. It wasn't all that hard - just rolled in on and let it dry. Only negative I can remember was that the floor was slick, especially when wet, and mine is sure to get wet as I plan to come and go in the winter. Maybe we can transition to going the whole season someday. LOL

Richard
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
WOW Awesome garage, im jealous!!!
Jon,
Thanks for the nice comment. I do get a ton of nice comments when folks come over for a visit. Most of the wives say, "wow, this is nicer than the INSIDE of our house"! I run a mop over it about once a week.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Scott,

Great looking garage. I'm envious!!! Had to put off constructing mine this winter due to some issues with S&B but planning on getting it done next year in the Spring.

Will be cleaning entire pad, 100'x20' before erecting. Thinking of going 24'x60'. DP is 36' but would like workshop area. Will power wash before its erection then look at applying epoxy. Did that in the aircraft hanger back in the 1960's and worked great. It wasn't all that hard - just rolled in on and let it dry. Only negative I can remember was that the floor was slick, especially when wet, and mine is sure to get wet as I plan to come and go in the winter. Maybe we can transition to going the whole season someday. LOL

Richard
Richard,
When our house had just finished completion and we made an offer on it, I'd considered doing the garage floors myself. I figured, "how hard can it be"? Well, we'd gotten to know the builders pretty good and, I talked to one of them about doing the floors. He said he had a friend that owned a company that did floors, houses and all kinds of painting, rock facia and a whole lot more.
The wife and I thought about it and, told him to have his buddy give us a call. He did and we met them at the house, later that afternoon. He had about a hundred samples of various floor colors, spots, flakes and more. When it comes to anything INSIDE the house, I get overruled REAL QUICK on most things. But, this is MY GARAGE. So, I PICKED the colors.

I come from a 35 year career of fire truck driving and operations so, I asked about the addition of the two yellow lines you see. He said no problem but, just to let him know EXACTLY where the lines are to be placed. So, I drew out a schematic and emailed it to him. Because the floor, like the house, was brand new and no one had ever even driven on it, it was the best possible time to apply the epoxy coating.

His price, along with the fact that, we were moving from San Diego CA to Lake Havasu City AZ and I knew it was gonna be kaos for weeks after the move-in, and it was gonna be weeks after the move-in before I could get to the job and, the floor would have been driven on, was a fair price and, it's guaranteed to not flake or chip for five years. We have about 6 months left on that warranty.

I don't mind saying, we have right at $3,700 in that floor, including two, epoxied yellow stripes. The stripes were applied BEFORE the final two coats of clear were applied. Those stripes are on there for the duration. I only use the drivers side stripe when backing in, not the passengers side. Using that stripe, and mark on the stripe right below my drivers window that marks where the vertical centerline of my left front tire stops, allows me to place that coach, within a quarter inch of the same spot, every single time I back it in.

Now, I do use the passenger side stripe when I drive the coach in forward. My little "MAN CAVE" work area is in the back of the RV garage. I have a TV, stereo and all my tools, welders, work table and more back there. So far, in the almost 5 years we've lived in that house, that scenario's been perfect.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040442.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	228040   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020550.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	228041  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Garage

Here's photos of our garage/pole barn. 40x60, fully insulated. We live in Coach full time. I would love to put the same type of flooring in as the previous poster but I think it might cost a fortune.

BTW, we have a well and dump station through the concrete into a full sized septic system. We also have a furnace that we keep set at about 60 degrees. The Coach heating systems keep us warm in the high 60s inside the living space.

This project was started in mid August and we moved in late October. We had sold our home of 38 years the end of July and are now "full timers".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	228044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	228045  

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	228046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	228047  

Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #14

Thank you for your service Scott! Hero’s in my book.