RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb919 View Post
I don't know bartts about those shelves but whatever you do DON'T put books there. See previous comments about the book eating slide. :-) I'm not sure they aren't just decorative or a place to put knick knacks and such. I keep the remotes for the TV there at the end. Seems a good place to always find them.
Would like to know if there's another spot to turn the inverter on too but I don't think so. It does sort of switch over to inverter though if you've been on shore power while traveling for a bit. Mine did and I don't know how that worked but you do need to have it for the frig.
Layman's terms for most of this stuff is always appreciated because there's so much to know and learn it's tough to go through all the manuals. We just keep plugging away at it and mostly learn by trial and error but that has to stop now since the year "grace" period is coming to an end!
I found the info for locking the dishwasher drawer but it didn't work so I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing. Pressing the lock button until it long beeps and then just remember to lock it before going off full power or the gennie. Akcretired, let me know what you do.
Tev

Thanks for the observation on the inverter. I noticed mine shut off but I didn't notice as to how often it did.

If I don't find a better usage for the shelves I'm just going to put some kind of a glass or screen in front of it to keep things there - it's too ideal for books.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #44

Quote:
I noticed the kick panel issue too. A rug that's a bit high and just getting used to it helped me. We bought an extendable broom that we keep in one side of the husband's wardrobe. Not ideal but it's easily accessible. I can't figure out what the cabinet next to the drawers in the galley island is for, can you? As for the water fill. Ours is located next to the water hose reel and there isn't any carpeting there. Husband likes to let someone else do the work and worry about things like that but I'm sure that will change. :-) Thanks for starting this thread!
Tev
Jenny here...of Bill & Jenny...my DH posed the original question about the fill port for city water & toekick space. Regarding the cabinet next to the kitchen drawers in the peninsula: that works perfectly for our keurig coffee maker. I was delighted to find that it stows there for traveling.

One minor annoyance for me is that the kitchen faucet is such a tight curve in the gooseneck portion that the water is easily splashed onto the counter area behind the faucet. I've learned to adjust by using the pull-down feature of the faucet when rinsing dishes, etc. , but feel that a wider curve to the faucet so that the water flow hits more in the center of the sink would have been preferable.
Love the convenience of the dishwasher, and have been pleased with its performance, too.

Another thing I've been quite happy with is the convection microwave oven...specifically it's curved back and door (interior). This extra space allows the use of some of my larger baking dishes, as they rotate easily during cooking. Tip: the Pampered Chef stoneware deep covered baker is a favorite! I use it for lots of stuff, and particularly like the PC Chocolate Lava Cake recipe.

turkeyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Through trial and error I have found the inverter can be turned on and off using the Magnum controller in the control panel. It is the button on the left.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #46

Jenny, I totally agree about the gooseneck faucet-it drives me crazy and it might be something I'll ask my DH to look into changing. Or have someone else do it. :-) I love the curve of the micro/convection oven too but I'm still not adept at cooking in the convection oven. Need to read more about it. Wanna share that recipe for the lava cake?
The glass over that shelf is a great idea since it is a perfect spot for books.
While we like the appearance of the two dining table chairs they are very tall and interfere with viewing the tv at times so we took them home and have now started using the foldables from the basement. We don't need them as extras and they are much easier to move during traveling although our dogs don't like them as much since they aren't as easy to jump on to get to the big window to look out!
TB
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Update on my post re: T-valve: still in design: plan is to add an in-line t-valve to the main water line exiting the pump.

A poster on another thread recommended the following - I tried it, it works - no need for T-valve, etc.

To fill the fresh water tank from a container of water if not hooked to city water:

- Turn winterizing valve on; place antifreeze syphon hose into container of water

- Turn tank fill valve from 'normal' to 'tank fill'

- Turn on pump

Kudos to the OP (whose name I couldn't find again) ...

Great idea
bartts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #48

Quote:
I use the closed cabinet for my plates and bowls. They're Corelle and kind of thin. I put some bubble wrap between the plates and they are quite secure.
Ha ha ha glad I'm not the only one who destroyed some books in the open cabinet with the slide! I put the remotes in the area closest to the aisle and a few knick knacks in the other areas.
How about that cabinet on the island next to the drawers? Any good use for that?
Tev

I purchased a cuisinart coffee maker that I use Keri cups in and can also make a regular full pot of coffee it just fits in the cabinet very nicely
AudreyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Jenny, I totally agree about the gooseneck faucet-it drives me crazy and it might be something I'll ask my DH to look into changing. Or have someone else do it. :-) I love the curve of the micro/convection oven too but I'm still not adept at cooking in the convection oven. Need to read more about it. Wanna share that recipe for the lava cake?
The glass over that shelf is a great idea since it is a perfect spot for books.
While we like the appearance of the two dining table chairs they are very tall and interfere with viewing the tv at times so we took them home and have now started using the foldables from the basement. We don't need them as extras and they are much easier to move during traveling although our dogs don't like them as much since they aren't as easy to jump on to get to the big window to look out!
TB

Anyone know if the folding chairs are available for sale anywhere at a reasonable price? I like your idea of leaving the tall ones home, but we need the set of 4 for when friends visit.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
Anyone know if the folding chairs are available for sale anywhere at a reasonable price? I like your idea of leaving the tall ones home, but we need the set of 4 for when friends visit.

We had planned to look at that very thing. We found the standard chairs too tall. We are visiting Winnie factory in two weeks. We can ask. The claim is all parts can be ordered...
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #51

Thanks for sharing on the faucet issue.
As for the Chocolate Lava Cake recipe...here it is:

1 standard chocolate cake mix: mix up according to package directions

1 can prepared chocolate frosting

I use my Pampered Chef "Deep Covered Baker" for this.
Spray interior well with Pam or similar no-stick spray.
Pour the prepared cake mix batter into the baker. Then using a regular teaspoon, dip frosting from the container and drop into the cake mix. Use all the frosting, and just plop it throughout the batter.
Put the lid on the baker. Microwave the cake for about 10-12 minutes on full power. It will have risen to mostly fill the baker, but will still look fairly moist, not dry like a cake typically looks when baked in a standard oven. As long as it's pretty firm all over, it's probably done, but you may have to adjust your time for your particular oven.
To serve, scoop out with a large serving spoon into a bowl, then add some vanilla ice cream. It's a fudgy/gooey/delicious dessert that's ready to eat in 15-20 minutes...and you definitely want to add the ice cream!
Man, oh man! Is it ever yummy. Best served warm, but next day at room temperature is pretty darn good, too.
If you don't have the deep covered baker from Pampered Chef, you could probably use a deep bowl, or a large Corningware baking dish w/ lid. For those unfamiliar with the Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker, it's a stoneware baking dish that's glazed on the outside, but unglazed on the inside. It's a size that will accommodate a baked chicken, or about a 5-lb ham. I love mine so much that I bought a 2nd one to take on the road. Tip: its hand-wash only, though, but it's worth the effort, in my opinion.

With respect to the comment about the convection oven: don't be put off by it. I find that I can bake my usual recipes just the same as my regular oven at home. It takes a little getting used to in getting it pre-heated, then add the food, & set the timer. The oven needs to have you open the door to add the food & then tell it to bake for your specified time. If you don't tell it to start after adding the food, it doesn't know what it's supposed to do next, it seems. Just think of it like when teaching a little kid to do something: Step 1. Step 2. Step 3.

You'll get it!

Anyway, try the cake recipe & let me know if you like it. I suppose you could try other flavors with compatible frosting, but in my book, chocolate trumps all others. Hope you enjoy it!

-Jenny
turkeyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:57 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Gordon; If your Magnum is the same as mine the 2800 model, it what's called a hybrid inverted in that if you're hooked up to 30Amp service you can turn the inverted ON while hooked up and if you draw OVER 30 amps then the Inverted will pick up the extra amp requirement. Say the A/C's on and the DW goes to reheat/nuke something, the inverter will pick up the extra load instead of the Power Management system shutting down the A/C till the microwave turns off. I didn't know this feature for the first 2 years I had our unit.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyMS View Post
I purchased a cuisinart coffee maker that I use Keri cups in and can also make a regular full pot of coffee it just fits in the cabinet very nicely

Just realized it is Hamilton Beach coffee maker
AudreyMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Gordon; If your Magnum is the same as mine the 2800 model, it what's called a hybrid inverted in that if you're hooked up to 30Amp service you can turn the inverted ON while hooked up and if you draw OVER 30 amps then the Inverted will pick up the extra amp requirement. Say the A/C's on and the DW goes to reheat/nuke something, the inverter will pick up the extra load instead of the Power Management system shutting down the A/C till the microwave turns off. I didn't know this feature for the first 2 years I had our unit.
We have a 2800 inverter so I hope it is the same. It is great to know this feature. Not often we hook up to 30 amp. The last time we were at a 30 amp campground it snowed!

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #55

Help everyone! One of the firefly switches has gone out and the book with the info was left at home. Ugh. It's the one next to the sofa that powers the TV and the overhead sofa lights along with a few others. All the others are working. Any ideas about how to get it going? We're out for the weekend and also had leveler issues. First they wouldn't retract and after discussion with the tech at the dealership we got three up. Called Coach Net and they were set to come out but I started the engine and tried the one level again and it worked. Now we are on a slight pitch forward but don't want to try to level for fear they won't all retract again. Just one more thing. Anyway, any help on the firefly would be appreciated!!
Tev
Old 02-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Link to manual.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0s1o7gz3g...anual.pdf?dl=0

Tags
42hd, 42hl, ellipse, itasca, winnebago