RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #113

No I'm sure Maytag wouldn't cover any of the others but it would be nice if they did. Like Sears service techs can do maintenance on many different brands. We have an extended service too on the rig but I don't think it covers any of the appliances. Will have the husband check on that with our coverage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
alternate bleach input method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Update on my post re: T-valve: still in design: plan is to add an in-line t-valve to the main water line exiting the pump.

A poster on another thread recommended the following - I tried it, it works - no need for T-valve, etc.

To fill the fresh water tank from a container of water if not hooked to city water:

- Turn winterizing valve on; place antifreeze syphon hose into container of water
- Turn tank fill valve from 'normal' to 'tank fill'
- Turn on pump

Kudos to the OP (whose name I couldn't find again) ...
So this allows use of portable fresh water tanks then!

AND in re-reading this it seems to me that there is a really simple way to add bleach to your tank by using the same winterizing hose to pump the bleach mix into the tank. Then when turned back to normal mode the bleach goes through the filter and cleans it. That takes care of all sections except the city water hose connection.

Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Tb919.. update on ice maker fix. Techs came out to me, replaced the ice maker with older model. And new wire harness. They stated that they have had lots of issues with the newer style ice makers so they are replacing them with an older model. It works great now and my ice tray stays full all the time. Now I can enjoy my whiskey on the rocks as often as I like.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #116

So since I just purchased a new 2016 Ellipse 42HD, I figured I would learn some more about the coach. Pulled up the installation manual for the Aqua-Hot system on line because I was curious how it works. Definitely not what I though it would be. I figured I would post a photo in case anyone else is curious like I was.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	157677
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes that is interesting. If it is supposed to show the positioning of the heat exchangers then it's wrong. The living room one is in the island and the 1/2 bath and bedroom ones are positioned wrong.

I can tell you where they are located in my 2016 model Ellipse HD. So is it intended to show accurate placement of the lines and exchangers or just that they exist? If so is it the wrong model or year?
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
So is it intended to show accurate placement of the lines and exchangers or just that they exist? If so is it the wrong model or year?

This particular diagram was just a representation of the system, not exact diagram.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #119

akcretired-thanks for the update. We're getting ready for a two week trip so don't have time to get her in but will definitely do it when we return. Interesting that the newer model doesn't work as well as the older one. We'll see how it works on our trip but I'm taking an ice tray along just in case I need to make more ice. Husband likes his mojitos! :-)
Btw, I've wondered if you retired from AKC? If so, in what capacity if you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb919 View Post
akcretired-thanks for the update. We're getting ready for a two week trip so don't have time to get her in but will definitely do it when we return. Interesting that the newer model doesn't work as well as the older one. We'll see how it works on our trip but I'm taking an ice tray along just in case I need to make more ice. Husband likes his mojitos! :-)
Btw, I've wondered if you retired from AKC? If so, in what capacity if you don't mind me asking.
AKC represented my rate/job title in the US Navy. AKC = aviation store keeper Chief Petty Officer, retired after 21 years of service.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #121

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Helo_Pilot View Post
So since I just purchased a new 2016 Ellipse 42HD, I figured I would learn some more about the coach. Pulled up the installation manual for the Aqua-Hot system on line because I was curious how it works. Definitely not what I though it would be. I figured I would post a photo in case anyone else is curious like I was.
Attachment 157677
Recently (as in last week) discovered there are three heat outlets under the bed in our QD. Early in the game we had used the area at the foot of the bed to store things in plastic bins. Found we had covered two vents with one of the bins. Had not been an issue but what a difference it made.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Recently (as in last week) discovered there are three heat outlets under the bed in our QD. Early in the game we had used the area at the foot of the bed to store things in plastic bins. Found we had covered two vents with one of the bins. Had not been an issue but what a difference it made.

I had thought that the setup was radiant floor style heating at first after initially hearing about Aqua-Hot. I never imagined it as a heat exchanger system.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #123

Thanks akcretired for the info. Never knew that.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL

Does anyone know if you can charge the chassis batteries off the built-in charger? The manual says it will but it appears like the only time my chassis batteries are charged is when the engine is running. When I read about the battery minder in the manual it says it makes decisions to charge the batteries. I can't see where it is actually charging the chassis batteries. The chassis batter voltage appears to just go down as I'm using generator or shore power.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 AM   #125

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat exchangers in Winnebago

Quote:
I had thought that the setup was radiant floor style heating at first after initially hearing about Aqua-Hot. I never imagined it as a heat exchanger system.
Yes they appear to be all heat exchangers. I met an experienced factory rep who told me last year WBGO is looking at the idea but is slow to adopt new things (that's good IMO). I see that new Grand Tours appear to have floor heat.

While on the topic as per Gordon, my 2016 HD has an exchanger under bed, one behind main bath commode, one next to half bath commode, one under fridge, one under island and one in front cap by stairwell. In using the MH this winter we found excess heat in half bath and insufficient heat in bedroom and stairwell - bedroom floor and entry/driver area floor was cold.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
On some models the in floor heating is an option, some come standard. I am not sure if Winnie has any in floor optional or standard.

We considered it during our needs and wants determination but decided that having in floor would be nice but the use would be problematic for our situation. We snow bird in an area where we only use the heat to take the chill off some mornings. Heat in the morning, air in the afternoon. Having the floor as a heat sink could make it more difficult to regulate the heat. By the time the floor has heated to take the chill off the residual heat in the floor could warm the coach to require the air to come on sooner.

Normally only have the electric on for the aqua hot (diesel burner only if in really cold temps). Will turn the heat on in the morning and leave it on until the fans cycle off because the low limiter shuts off the fans to wait for the electric to catch up. That provides enough warmth to take the chill off to be comfortable in the morning.

I solved the morning cool floor issue with a pair of UGG sheepskin slippers.

Tags
42hd, 42hl, ellipse, itasca, winnebago