Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb919 View Post
So now let's move onto more pleasant topics. Anyone heading out someplace special or interesting? We are heading to Purina Farms in Gray Summit, MO for a National Shetland Sheepdog show in April. Will get to tour the Budweiser brewery and tour the Clydesdale farm too. Where are YOU headed?

Once we get the Winnebago back from service ... heading to Florida Keys, then Colorado, Utah, Illinois , New Jersey...
bartts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #86

Wow that's quite an itinerary. Would love to go to the Keys. Used to go as a kid and my parents moved to Marathon after my father retired. It's so much different not.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At Forest City now? We are too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartts View Post
Once we get the Winnebago back from service ... heading to Florida Keys, then Colorado, Utah, Illinois , New Jersey...
Hi Bart
We have our Ellipse in WGO service this week. We are not onsite today but will be tomorrow, we should look each other up!

Bill & Jenny
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #88

So Bill, how did the service go there at the factory? Anything new to report?
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago factory service

Quote:
So Bill, how did the service go there at the factory? Anything new to report?
Hey TB, thanks for reminding me!

Several things are worth mentioning...

1. The shower leak does seem to me to be due to installation or design so the plumbing may be a problem I think. You can access under the shower from beside the bed through removing the carpeted platform and holding the bed up.

2. If you Aquahot doesn't seem to be heating adequately and you can document it then keep pressing the issue. Even at the factory they usually stop if "normal checks seem ok". In our case there was some sort of internal boiler thermostat the was off by 30 degrees.

3. It seems to me that there is some possibility of slide gear wear that many of us won't notice. They will replace it if it's bad enough. I can't say how to look for that but both the dealer and the factory noticed it.

4. While on the slides topic I believe there are still some kinds of issues with my vintage of unity ( made in May 2015 but a 2016 model sold in 2017)

5. The entry door has a rubber bumper at the bottom which I've not had anyone there or here explain to me. Maybe Jesse knows. It seems to cause wind noise if misadjusted. They didn't get it right.

6. The Rand McNally GPS is risky deal in my opinion. I'm a EE that works with electronic engine controls. That system seems to be built on a PC platform and has some reset issues like PCs have. I had to take pictures of the screen freezing to show it had issues which was the only way to get the supplier to get serious. They replaced the SD chip for free. The freezing problem still exists but isn't as bad. The WGO position is that the owner has to update the chip as often as every 3 months....including when you first take possession. WGO will not update the chip for free unless you have documented a freeze problem like I had. My experience with the electronics we make is that custom made products with extensive testing will work great. Small manufacturers like WGO that use electronics have a hard time working out all of the bugs. Especially if the supplier they use is small.

7. The design problem where the ceiling lights flash when the water pump runs was fixed. They apparently know that a cable needs shielded (replaced).

8. Doors not staying shut can be the owner not pulling it shut tight (full bath) or the entire wall not being fastened and the door frame widens (half bath).

9. They replaced all multiplexed switch panels that had aged and cracked. Maybe this was from sitting on a hot FL parking lot, closed up for 18 months?

10. Cable that released the mechanism in the sofa for the pull out ottoman was fixed.

11. Drawers above countertop had the slides repaired/replaced

12. Cooktop that was cracked was replaced.

13. Missing TV remote was replaced.

14. A spring for the brake foot-pedal mechanism was replaced/added by FL in a recall.

15. The video/audio multiplex switch (which they call the Matrix) was defective and replaced. That prevented signals from getting to and from sources and receivers as well as the IR operation of the remotes. I could see some of the indicator lights seemed wrong but I had intentionally not tried to troubleshoot.

16. A bad speaker in the overhead was replaced.

Not sure if that's everything but it's most of it. Forest City is really in the middle of nowhere, almost to MN but some very nice people. Iowa is WINDY!!

We wanted a factory tour but those run 4/1 to 10/1 apparently. We did join WIT. The WIT building is worth a visit.

We were very happy with WGO and the people. A nice group that works hard and means well. As in a lot of places there is a mix of people who are experienced but keep working with them and it will be resolved. A good company.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Hint: If you are scheduling a visit to Forest City an attempt to go there in August is recommended. It could be warm (hot) and very busy but the corn is prime.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #91

Thanks Bill. Quite a list that's for sure and we've had different problems that the dealer has taken care of but the Aqua Hot issue is worth noting. We have had more problems the last couple of times with it not staying hot for two showers. Even if we are taking short ones. I agree about hot parking lots and coaches being closed up for so long. We had issues with trim coming off and that's what I think caused it. How and where do you get the SD chip? Our technician updated our GPS with our last service but I'm sure we'll need it again in the next few months. And how do you determine when your coach was actually built?
Thanks for the update.
Tev
Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #92

With a aquahot system be sure all the faucets in your wet bay are off at the handles. If they are opened at all you will experience running out of hot water when you use the shower. At least that is what myself and other owners of our type coach have found. Something about feedback into the system of some sort as I understand it.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Bill. Quite a list that's for sure and we've had different problems that the dealer has taken care of but the Aqua Hot issue is worth noting. We have had more problems the last couple of times with it not staying hot for two showers. Even if we are taking short ones. I agree about hot parking lots and coaches being closed up for so long. We had issues with trim coming off and that's what I think caused it. How and where do you get the SD chip? Our technician updated our GPS with our last service but I'm sure we'll need it again in the next few months. And how do you determine when your coach was actually built?
Thanks for the update.
Tev

Tev
There's a sticker by the drivers seat on mine. It shows build date.

The SD chip is a slot near the dash CD player.

Bill
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #94

We'll take a look and see if we have the same sticker that shows the build date. Wonder if it's located anywhere else? In your post it sounded as if you could pay to get another SD card and that's what I was wondering about. I found the slot location on a trip when I accidently pushed the SD card out, unknowingly, and the GPS wouldn't work! Trial and error, trial and error. It's how we learn. LOL
Thanks,
Tev
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Tev
You have a rubber grommet at the bottom inside at rear of door that is only to keep the screen door from hitting the door when stowed to the door.
When you start rolling from a stop an air activated solenoid on the upper front of the door jam pushes a roller up into a polymer wedge mounted on the door to put steady pressure assisting a good seal at the top of the door while in motion only. This can be out of adjustment which can cause wind noise and/or a loud popping noise.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Process to update Rand McNally GPS SD cards:

- Need a computer with SD card slot - or portable tether
- Go to randmcnally.com, select the 'Support' tab
- Download the 'Dock software'
- Dock your SD card into the computer and register the card (the serial # should show up in the software at the upper right - or it may be printed on the SD card)
- After registering the SD card choose the 'Update' tab and follow on-screen instructions

At my first update the SD card was too small so I received instructions to e-mail the company with the card's serial # - Rand McNally sent me a larger SD card with latest maps at no charge ...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #97

Hey John, thanks for the tip on the AquaHot issue. We'll check that out. Thanks Jesse for your info and you too Steve. Our tech said he updated the GPS for us during one of our long term services. How often do you think it needs updating?
Just got her back from our last warranty service and we're heading out tomorrow for the weekend and the next weekend and then a long two week trip. Woo hoo. Can't wait and hopeful there won't be any major issues.
Tev
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I update my GPS about every 3 - 4 months ... haven't seen any show-stoppers yet. With a good internet hook-up process takes less than 30 minutes ...

Tags
42hd, 42hl, ellipse, itasca, winnebago