Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 AM   #337

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Allan
Was that a rule for all locations? I've had the membership but haven't tried stopping in one yet.

Bill
Bill, I was told all locations. I checked with Harvest Hosts before purchasing as I cook everything outdoors on our Traeger unless we are in a Walmart and then we look for a local restaurant.

From the website "All RVs must be self-contained.
Your RV must have an interior toilet and built-in holding tanks for waste water (no exterior tanks allowed). Porta-potties are acceptable but must be dumped offsite at an appropriate facility. The dumping of any gray water on Host properties is prohibited. You must have interior cooking facilities. Sorry, no tents of any kind allowed."
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 09:27 PM   #338

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for clarifying. I like the Harvest Host idea but I do worry that very many are located in places where our size big rig can take advantage of them. And I’m not sure I will drive to them to find out. I may have wasted my membership.

Keeping this on topic before a moderator jumps in - does anyone else feel like these rigs are awfully big? I enjoy all the features of my Ellipse but wonder if I need one that’s more like 35 feet.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #339

Oh Bill you are not alone! We have been feeling the same way for a while but when we look at smaller ones we realize we really do like all the features we have. As the saying goes We like what we like. However, I've always thought 36 ft was the perfect size and we might consider one at some point in the future. I like the Newmar New Aire since it has that luxury feel in a smaller coach. No one else does that it seems. Just because we want smaller doesn't mean we want dumpy. The big rigs give us everything we want but the down side is it does prohibit us from going everywhere. Although we aren't the adventurous type that likes to dry camp in the middle of no where. So we have just come to the realization we like to be comfortable, our coach gives us that and we'll just have to give up some locations until we are ready for that smaller coach.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #340

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Keeping this on topic before a moderator jumps in - does anyone else feel like these rigs are awfully big? I enjoy all the features of my Ellipse but wonder if I need one that’s more like 35 feet.
The size is large but not unmanageable. We have not had any issues getting into camp grounds but we try to keep our expectations realistic. Not going to fit in every location we want but very few rigs will that still have enough size to live comfortably (for us) for extended periods.

There may be alternative accommodation a dew miles down the road that are very acceptable.

Our biggest issue to date with some of the campgrounds has been some of them have smaller areas that are level.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #341

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So Gordon or TB do either of you know of a good reference that lists campgrounds that fit our units? Is Allstays reliable?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #342

That would be a great tool wouldn't it? I use Trip Wizard and look at campground reviews. Most of the time I can figure out if the coach will fit. These days we've been even more concerned with not only the length but with the pad. The amount of rain we've been having makes it imperative to be on a concrete or asphalt pad. Not grass or anything too soft. Been there done that and it isn't fun. We are currently traveling to FL and stayed in a state park in MS. I've come to the conclusion we won't do that unless we've been there before and KNOW what it's like in and out of the park. Their idea of a pull thru being ideal is not the same as ours. Many times a back in is preferable. 60 degree wheel cut is fabulous and we can maneuver very well into a back in. Generally State parks will indicate the length of rv allowed. I haven't used Allstays since it's only available on apple/iphone products I think. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #343

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Right Hand Side Mirror (42HD)

Hi all!

We're new owners (about a month) of a 2017 42HD. So far, so good. My main complaint so far is that the exterior passenger-side mirror seems to be poorly placed. I am unable to see the bottom right hand portion of the convex mirror. I contacted both WBGO and the mirror manufacturer (Lang Mekra) and they don't have longer mirror arms or extension risers, either of which would put that portion of the mirror in easier view. I'm a six footer so not "height challenged"! Has anybody else run into this issue? Maybe other year models have different dash boards or different mirror mount locations to eliminate this problem.

And, for recent comments about listings for big rigs, we heard about this book the other day: Big Rigs Best Bets Campground Directory - 19th Edition.

At $29 + $10 for shipping it's not cheap. And we haven't had this long coach long enough to need to use the book.

Cheers!

Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #344

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike The passenger mirror height has been a common complaint for at least 5 years. Like yours - our bottom 4 - 6" is not visible without practically standing at the wheel. There is an owner who is trying to fab up an extension. If I hear anymore will share...

Congrats on your new coach!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 AM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Mike View Post
Hi all!

We're new owners (about a month) of a 2017 42HD. So far, so good. My main complaint so far is that the exterior passenger-side mirror seems to be poorly placed. I am unable to see the bottom right hand portion of the convex mirror. I contacted both WBGO and the mirror manufacturer (Lang Mekra) and they don't have longer mirror arms or extension risers, either of which would put that portion of the mirror in easier view. I'm a six footer so not "height challenged"! Has anybody else run into this issue? Maybe other year models have different dash boards or different mirror mount locations to eliminate this problem.

And, for recent comments about listings for big rigs, we heard about this book the other day: Big Rigs Best Bets Campground Directory - 19th Edition.

At $29 + $10 for shipping it's not cheap. And we haven't had this long coach long enough to need to use the book.

Cheers!

we have same issue and have made same phone calls with same results. we have a 2016 42QD Ellipse. sad to think mirror has this issue. i am 5.6 and thought a taller driver would be OK. it sure is pain. enjoy your coach.
drurytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #346

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago passenger Mirror location problem

Guys, as you can see my mirror is easily viewable - in fact I was holding the camera about chin height. So I wonder if the positioning of your mirror on the outside is actually incorrect for your unit...i.e. not a design problem. Note that I have a 2016 HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50E6F7FA-D70F-4630-84C6-25F58660D935.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	246615  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 AM   #347

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the pic Bill ... can we trouble you for some exterior pics showing the mirror mount?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #348

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
mirror issue

On my 2014 the arm rotates forward and backward on a "hinge". I am assuming you've either tried this or your model doesn't have the "hinge"?
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #349

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies folks! Yes, our mirrors are hinged. I rotated the mirror about 4 clicks to the left today (towards the centerline of the coach) which allows me to see more of the bottom right corner of the convex mirror.

The mirror mount is bolted into a recessed area of the fiberglass front cap. The recessed area is just barely bigger than the mirror mount. The conclusion there is that the mirror is mounted where they intended.

I'll keep fiddling with it during our next trip in early June and try fine-tuning the rotating of the hinge as we travel.
Again, thanks for the replies!

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #350

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
So Gordon or TB do either of you know of a good reference that lists campgrounds that fit our units? Is Allstays reliable?
We have the Good Sam atlas of campgrounds. Most of the time we will call the number and ask if we will fit. Generally if they list a pull through I am fairly confident we can wiggle in.

We have a 279 wheelbase with a 60 front cut so it makes it more manageable.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are getting into something you are not comfortable with, stop and take a walk. It may not get worse but if it does you don't have to back up as far.

Tags
42hd, 42hl, ellipse, itasca, winnebago