Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL

There are fewer of the HD or HL layout and we decided to have a thread to look at items of interest. Obviously QD or other Winnebago folks are welcome!

To kick off I'd say we really like this design but there are always some mods that could help. These are design improvements needed:

1. Fresh water fill is hard to get to and when overfilled will douse a carpeted compartment...I'm working on a fix
2. No kickpanel space for your toes in masterbath vanity is a constant challenge. I'd like comments if someone has any. Might be fixable
3. No place for a broom or anything long handled and narrow. A broom closet. The space by the washer/dryer might be made to work.
4. Floor in bedroom and drivers area is definitely cooler than other areas. I understand the lack of basement in the front but the bedroom seems like it should have warmer floor.
5. Some manufacturers tout using the generator when pulled out to stand on to wash the windshield. I wouldn't do that on this unit but it would be a bonus to add a way to make it strong enough.

Other thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #2

I cut off the broom handle to just fit under closet bar. Then used one of those coated long "noodle" flexible ties from the hardware store. Wrap tightly a few times around top of handle and extend loose end up into a hook over the bar. Works great and the broom is easily accessible. Have fun out there!
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the issues with filling the fresh water tank. With our Journey all I need to do is flip a valve on the water panel near where the city water hook up is to "fresh water fill". There isn't even a way to fill my tank with a hose without removing a 2" plug on the top of the tank that's not meant to be removed an on a regular basis. When the tank is full using the normal fill procedures it'll overflow out the overflow tube onto the ground.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the issues with filling the fresh water tank. With our Journey all I need to do is flip a valve on the water panel near where the city water hook up is to "fresh water fill". There isn't even a way to fill my tank with a hose without removing a 2" plug on the top of the tank that's not meant to be removed an on a regular basis. When the tank is full using the normal fill procedures it'll overflow out the overflow tube onto the ground.
Well....I have was going to say "most" but actually ALL RV's I have seen have a gravity fill for fresh water. I've only had this unit 2 weeks but do not see a gravity fill that is convenient. There are various reasons, not the least of which is that it's how I would add bleach water for sanitizing. Having only a 2 inch plug thats at the rear of a carpeted compartment asks for trouble with filling or adding bleach. Given that it's back there (and it doesn't have enough height for a funnel) it's not just possible but likely you will spill or overflow onto the carpet. I've done that twice in just two weeks of ownership. Additionally when you fill from the city input the use of water in the coach is impacted...with gravity fill you don't. I can explain that if I need to but I assume most readers understand.

I can say more on this but ...
Old 02-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #5

I noticed the kick panel issue too. A rug that's a bit high and just getting used to it helped me. We bought an extendable broom that we keep in one side of the husband's wardrobe. Not ideal but it's easily accessible. I can't figure out what the cabinet next to the drawers in the galley island is for, can you? As for the water fill. Ours is located next to the water hose reel and there isn't any carpeting there. Husband likes to let someone else do the work and worry about things like that but I'm sure that will change. :-) Thanks for starting this thread!
Tev
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some convenience mods we made:
- Slide out garbage can in far right under sink cabinet
- Slide out racks under both sides of rear bath sink
- Window awning on passenger side forward window
- Off-the-shelf water softener system
- Cut ~ 2" piece off the left edge of the panel in the storage bay that holds the water tank (let's me see how much water is in the tank)
-- Note: if you pull the panels in this bay and the one just forward you'll be amazed at the space that's behind them
- Up-sized the plastic bins under the slide out storage tray (same brand - next size larger)
- Maxx-air vent over the fantastic fan
- Folding coffee table for the living room
- Added 1280W of solar (and loving it)
- Switched out over head-of-bed puck lights for flexible stalk lights with individual controls

Working on these:
- Slide out racks for over-the-sink cabinet and rear bath left-of-sink cabinet
- Add t-valve and length of hose after the water pump (this will enable the water pump to pick up water using the winterize hose and pump it directly to the water tank)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Improvements and Issues: Winnebago/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42HD or HL

Questions. Did you mean you added an awning to the big window on the HD that's over the dining table? Doesn't the patio awning cover that?

Can you say more about what you did with the water pump and T valve? Not sure I followed that.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re: awning: window awnings over the large windows help with heat gain / glare when you're not using the patio awning, or can't. An issue you may have with your HD is that the forward arm of the patio awning is too close to the window to allow install of another awning arm.

Re: T-valve: still in design: plan is to add an in-line t-valve to the main water line exiting the pump. Then - with the winterizing valve turned on, the antifreeze pick-up line can go into a jug, etc., and pump the water through the pump to the t-valve which would divert the water through the added water line to the gravity fill port on the water tank. If you also cut out the edge of the panel that's on the side of the tank you can watch the water level and save overflows.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #9

Sounds like you might have the QD model? There isn't any space in the rear bath to install slide out racks on either side of the sink in the HD. I think you are right about not being able to install another awning over the big window but the patio awning works great to block out the glare and heat. Plus that would be one big awning!
Tev
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correct - QD model ...
Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill the common procedure for adding bleach to these system is, 1) unscrew the city water filter canister, remove the city water filter from the canister, 2) pour in required amount of bleach into filter canister and screw back in place, hook of hose to city water connection 3) turn valve to fresh tank fill position, and 4) fill fresh water tank. The bleach will be picked up out of the canister and flushed into the fresh water tank.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clarifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Bill the common procedure for adding bleach to these system is, 1) unscrew the city water filter canister, remove the city water filter from the canister, 2) pour in required amount of bleach into filter canister and screw back in place, hook of hose to city water connection 3) turn valve to fresh tank fill position, and 4) fill fresh water tank. The bleach will be picked up out of the canister and flushed into the fresh water tank.
Lindy (not sure if this is your first or last name sorry)
My experience with previous MH had the filter as the last point before entering the inside plumbing. I know that because that is where I plumbed in the water softener. The filter and pump were next to each other AND the city water connected in between the pump and the filter.

It made sense because I assume we all want both city and tank water to go through the final filter. If the water filter is the last point before going to the coach with my new unit (done the same way) then the bleach would not go to the tank. If this new unit is the same then I have to add bleach directly into the tank through the gravity fill or the plug we have found. I haven't looked at the plumbing diagrams or traced down all lines (yet) but maybe I can ask questions:

Seems like I'm asking,
-is the water filter on the pressure side or the suction side of the pump and
-why would water from the filter go to the tank?

I think what you are saying is in the way you do it the lines inside the MH get treated with bleach but not the tank.
-Or are you saying the "city water fill line" is connected AFTER the filter and goes through the filter backwards when you fill the tank? That means that any time you fill the tank from city water you are back-flushing the filter into the tank.

Am I missing something?

Bill
Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill when water from the fresh water tank the house filter is not in the water loop at least on our 2102 Journey. This is why when filling the tank I use the city hook up and then flip the valve to "fresh water fill" then the water is filtered before going into the tank. As to the bleaching system I described, I've been doing that for 4 years and yes I can smell the bleach in the faucets after I draw the bleached water from the fresh water tank. The sequence of plumbing seems to be, City hook up, to filter, to house, or if the fresh water fill valve is flipped then it's city hoop up, to filter, to fresh water tank.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmm ok this is turning into some good info. I think I need to look into the Ellipse plumbing further since I want to reinstall the softener I took from the Bounder. I want all water to flow through it.

As we have talked I can see that my need isn't as great but I still want to be able to fill the tank and use water inside at normal pressure. That required a gravity fill before because the pressure is greatly reduced inside when in the "fill" position. The loss of pressure still occurs with the Ellipse. My tank filling usually occurs when the DW is cooking breakfast....

So I need a plan to keep the DW happy (and cooking my breakfast) while filling the tank. I have several ideas on that.

Thanks Lindy

Bill

Tags
42hd, 42hl, ellipse, itasca, winnebago