Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Infotainment Center GPS System antenna issue

Our 2014 Itasca Ellipse Infotainment Center w/ 10-inch LCD experienced a GPS issue at the 5-hour point in our full day travel. The accuracy of the system tracking of our location relative to the moving map appeared to have us off course and paralleling the road, kept recalculating the route, and loosing heading. Pulled over at the next Rest Stop and called Camping World Elite Services, of which is suppose to be our 24-hour support center for any and all issues. They advised me to go to the nearest repair location, and had no further guidance, wow, they were clueless. I asked if they could transfer me to a Winnebago tech or the GPS manufacturer and the gal was clueless. So, I contacted the Infotainment center manufacturer directly, which in our case is River Park Inc. and asked for Technical Support. A guy by the name of Phil answered that call, and he turned out to be very knowledgable of the system, as well as my actual coach installation, and had dealt with the same issue a few times before. It was suggested to be one of three causes, either the antenna attached to the dash frame under the dash cover fell loose and is getting poor reception, the antenna cable has been routed incorrectly and chaffed against the dash frame rails and shorting to ground, or the antenna connector plug (a blue plastic RF connector) immediately behind the 10-inch monitor is loose. Four sheet metal screws release the dash cover over the speedometer and with a flashlight the blue antenna was easily seen, and with a little gentle pressure the connector was squeezed together tighter and wallah, the GPS snapped correctly to the current map coordinates and heading. Being a former avionics tech being behind the instrument panel was a simply task, and problem solved. Also, the River Park tech was more than ready to send a replacement antenna under warranty and no cost in the mail should it be necessary, very nice guy, really knew his stuff, not only about the system, but the specific motor-coach installation of that equipment. Anyway, 30-minutes later we were back on the road.
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
ChrisKW, thanks for the info, our will flash sometimes and fail to connect. I am waiting on the Ipod cable that didn't get installed, when I install the cable I will check the other connection.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

ChrisKW - thanks for your post. My GPS started doing the same thing yesterday. The GPS kept telling me to go to the designated route over and over again. Zoomed in and the GPS thought we were on a side road although we were on the route it had designated. After some time it corrected itself. Thought the map was incorrect for the area we were traveling. Will look for loose wires behind the screen and hopefully it will save me a trip to the dealer!!
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that's what I call Tech Support. Too bad you didn't get it from the MH manufacture.
You would think our coach manufacture would be more familiar with the coach they built.