Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been "out of the loop" for some time but I was just reading the WIT May magazine and in the Service Tip article they mentioned an aftermarket installation of the new monitoring system.
This probably has been discussed in this forum . Can someone direct me to the discussion?
Is this a job a "normal" person can do or do we need to take our coach to a dealer for installation?
I know you guys are great with answers, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!!

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been "out of the loop" for some time but I was just reading the WIT May magazine and in the Service Tip article they mentioned an aftermarket installation of the new monitoring system.
This probably has been discussed in this forum . Can someone direct me to the discussion?
Is this a job a "normal" person can do or do we need to take our coach to a dealer for installation?
I know you guys are great with answers, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!!

Old 06-03-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I installed a SeeLevel external sensor system in my coach. It wasn't all that hard to do. You may want to check this out as it offers a digital readout accurate to 2% rather than the Empty-1/3-2/3-Full reading.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hello Cruzer!!!
I knew you would have a solution!!! You just love to tinker!
I went to the website and there are so many different models. Which one did you get? Or better, which one would be the right one for our Adventurer?
Winnebago in their magazine also lists a bunch of different options, why the many variables?

On a different note, I know you do a lot of camping in the west, Have you gone to Nova Scotia and PEI??

Old 06-03-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ellen,

Saw an interesting ad for another monitor system here.

Give them a look-see.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Ellen,

I installed two panels in the Bus. They have a number of different setups. Basically, the external sensors are the same. You stick on on the outside of the tank (after trimming them to length) and pick the panel (or panels) that you want. I use a 712TT panel upstairs and a 711 in the basement. You can add as many panels as you want. I used the basic 711 panel in the basement because it gives me readouts on my 3 tanks as well as battery voltage. That way I can tell what I have while I am refilling or dumping. If I ever need to do a short gray dump I can dump some water out while still retaining enough to flush the sewer hose after the black tank dump the next day or so. If I need to do laundry (yeah right, like I'm the guy who does laundry ) I can make some room in the gray without totally dumping it. You can lock the display to read as you fill or dump so you don't have to run inside and check.

For the main inside panel I use the 712-TT or 712-LT. I began with the 712-TT, which gives fresh water, gray water, black water, LP tank, and battery levels. It also features a full time display of the interior temperature. When you push the button, it displays the outside temperature (they include a remote sender for that as well). I have an outside temperature display on the dash so I mounted the remote sender into the basement water service compartment. That way I can view the basement temperature in the water service area, which is nice for winter camping.

Later on I noticed that they also offered a 712-LT. This looked like a 712-TT except they added two small rocker switches, one for the water pump and one for the LP hot water heater. I relocated the water pump switch to be used as the 120 volt (through a relay) hot water heater switch. Now I don't have to go into the compartment over the entrance door to get at the water heater switches. However, the 712-LT was originally developed for OEM use in Airstreams so it does not have the outside temperature feature and the inside temp only display when you push the button.

I'd pick the 712-TT as a prime panel and you can always add the 711 in the basement if you want it. They are all SeeLevel II series panels, it's only the feature levels that vary. The newer 713 series is a buttonless system that always reads but I'm thinking that could pull battery amps when boondocking. By the way, they can use the existing sender wires so you don't have to pull all new wires to the tanks.

The company has been around a while, making tank monitoring systems for serious industrial applications and petroleum distribution indistry applications and it is all quality trouble free stuff. When you call them you get an intelligent person on the other end who will provide good answers to any questions you may have.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adventurous:
....On a different note, I know you do a lot of camping in the west, Have you gone to Nova Scotia and PEI?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I haven't been up that way yet. We toying with the Canadian Rockies idea for next summer (either that or Oregon and California redwoods area) but some day we'll hit that area. The west is just so big and we can't seem to get our fill of it yet.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There was a discusion some time back about it. The neat thing about the Winnebago system is that it is a drop in replacement - this is based on my discussion with customer service.
The panel and sensors are replaced and the existing wiring and connectors are used. If you do a search on my user name you should find the topic. As I recall th ecost was less than $200. I intend to install it on my coach when I get the bucks.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There was a discusion some time back about it. The neat thing about the Winnebago system is that it is a drop in replacement - this is based on my discussion with customer service. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called Winnebago yesterday and the only info they gave me is that I needed the G-Series and that I have to order the parts through a dealer. No info about cost or amount of difficulty was available. What do you mean by drop in installation?
I called a dealer and he looked up the cost of the parts needed. Total $141 but he had never put one in, figured it could take 2-3 hours.
Sooooo is this a do it your self job?

Clay I'll see if I can find the discussion you mentioned. I figured when it was first introduced it must have generated some interest!!!

Cruzer, you make everything sound so easy!! I remember when you had your Suncruiser you did all kinds of rewiring and other stuff!! Thanks for the explanation of the Seelevel installation. I'll see which way w'll go!!

Old 06-05-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

By drop-in replacement I mean the display panel is replaced with one that fits the same space and uses the same connectors that are there already. You have to stick sensors on the sides of the grey, black and fresh water tanks. The sensors then plug into the same connectors as the existing sensors did. Ventline makes the panel and MSC makes the sensors. These are active electric field effect sensors - they have electronics built in.
I plan to do the installation myself. On my coach the only tank that is a little hard to gain access to is the grey water.
It's behind an access panel on the right side behind a storage bay door below the kitchen window area and I have to remove about about eight screws on the panel and a few screws on the storage bay door. The door has to come off to get easy access to some of the screws on the panel. It's not a big deal though. I have already done it and put it back. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem before I bought the parts.
I was going to get the system from a dealer but since I have to take the unit in to the factory in Aug for warranty work, I plan to get it there. If you are at the factory I believe you can buy stuff like that directly - just not on the phone or via mail. Anyway that's the way it worked last year when we were there.

The only caveats I am aware of are that the wires should not be coiled up, so you need to get sensors with the right length of wire on them. Winnebago has various lengths available. The wires can be cut and spliced for the correct length according to ESM, so if one is a little long it can be corrected. It would be easier if the wire is the right length though. Also the sensors need to be about an inch or so away from metal.