Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John...... I can see both directions are the same no matter which inverter is installed... I suppose it will boil down to performance, like when anyone compares a Ford to a Chevy.....

I see John your in North Dakota..... Stay warm....
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Hello LeeB,

I’m not too sure you need to worry about the statement ‘then will continue
“trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate’ if you leave the original batteries installed. What this means is that the batteries are under a ‘float’ condition. That’s good. Would a good AGM battery bank be better, you bet. If that is what you are going to install, then I would strongly suggest installing a 3 stage battery charger that has settings for AGM batteries. Normally, all batteries will self discharge. That is what is meant by “trickle” charging at a very low amperage rate. It’s just that AGM’s self discharge at a much lower rate. And usually need a higher charging voltage. The forth stage is equalization which isn’t every applied to AGM’s.

The advantage of a three stage, are increased amperage to restore full charge but the last stage is still float. It just takes a lot longer to top off the batteries when float is all you have.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Listed below are the specifications that we have available on this charger. This is in fact a 3 stage charger, the bulk, absorption, and float. For further information on this charger you would need to contact Winnebago.

VOLTAGE LIMITS
WITHOUT LOAD: 13.6 VDC MIN / 14.1 VDC MAS

WITH LOAD OF 55 AMPS DC: 12.9 VDC MIN / 13.1 VDC MAX

Just to check I send a note to my friend at Winnebago.
"According to our Electrical Engineer, it is only a single stag charger"

I like your choice of charger, I will probably do the same when we get our Adventurer this summer.
I'm sorry for falling off the cabbage truck, but this reply is confusing to me. Are you saying that Schumacher, the maker of the converter/charger that Winnebago now uses is really a there stage charger, but your frind at Winnebago is saying that it is a single stage charger? I know that the manual talks about the charging current chaging based on the battery's state of charge, but the Winnebago manual states in a couple places not to leave the coach plugged in.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

DeWat, Sorry for the confusion, I have done a lot or research on this converter/charger and I was sure it was a single stage charger. So when the guy at Schumacher just gave me max and min voltages even though he stated it was 3 stages I had my doubts. So I emailed my contact at Winnebago an sure enough it's just a single stage charger and that's why Winnebago said not to leave the coach plugged in.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks John...... I can see both directions are the same no matter which inverter is installed... I suppose it will boil down to performance, like when anyone compares a Ford to a Chevy.....

I see John your in North Dakota..... Stay warm....
We left North Dakota two weeks ago. We are boondocking in the desert 20 miles north of Yuma on the Colorado river. Mid 70's today.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
We left North Dakota two weeks ago. We are boondocking in the desert 20 miles north of Yuma on the Colorado river. Mid 70's today.
Good Timing......
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
DeWat, Sorry for the confusion, I have done a lot or research on this converter/charger and I was sure it was a single stage charger. So when the guy at Schumacher just gave me max and min voltages even though he stated it was 3 stages I had my doubts. So I emailed my contact at Winnebago an sure enough it's just a single stage charger and that's why Winnebago said not to leave the coach plugged in.
Thanks much! I had a live conversation with Winnebago today. Because of the new chargers/converters, they are not going to go "on record" and give any official nods, but said that I should be okay as long as I monitored my batteries regularly. They also told me that when I turn the house switch off, the batteries do not charge, so if I really get concerned, just turning the house off is a lot easier than unplugging... especially since everything inside will still work direct from the shoreline.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote