Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Installing a a Motion-Sensor Porch Light

The problem I'm having is getting the existing light off the side of my RV. I got the screws out and an outer frame came off. That left a flat plate that holds the bulb and wires remaining attached to the RV by silicone or something else. It's held very tightly to the RV surface. I tried to get a small screwdriver under it in hopes of lifting it off, but it's held pretty well. I'm afraid of scratching the paint. Any suggestions on how to lift that plate off? The rest of the installation seems like it'll be relatively easy, but if I can't get all of the existing one off, I'm stuck? HELP!!!
Sandi
Old 08-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you by any chance have a heat gun or hair drier avaiable to warm it up before trying to pry it off?

Also make sure there are no small screws or rivets holding the plate to the body.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You can try a plastic spatula or a putty knife. Also try a hair dryer to help soften the caulk. Does the new light fixture have a larger base? Perhaps a few scratches close to the old base will be covered when the new one is hung.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You can try a plastic spatula or a putty knife. Also try a hair dryer to help soften the caulk. Does the new light fixture have a larger base? Perhaps a few scratches close to the old base will be covered when the new one is hung.
Good suggestions. I used a razor blade and carefully ran it around the base to cut the sealant/adhesive. It will take some prying, though. Just use a very small screwdriver and make sure it is under the base, then force it off. You don't care if you break the old base, right?

BTW, are you installing the Starlights, or another product? I love my Starlights but wonder what others are using.

~Steve
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Use an Exacto knife or something similar to carefully cut the caulk around the existing fixture. Then take a plastic putty knife to scrape off the remaining caulk. Or you can simply place the new fixture over the old caulk, since it usually bigger and will cover the old area.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlowe11 View Post
Good suggestions. I used a razor blade and carefully ran it around the base to cut the sealant/adhesive. It will take some prying, though. Just use a very small screwdriver and make sure it is under the base, then force it off. You don't care if you break the old base, right?

BTW, are you installing the Starlights, or another product? I love my Starlights but wonder what others are using.

~Steve

Yes, it's a Starlight.
Sandi
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Heat it up...carefully, blow dryer....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Success! I finally got the plate off with a putty knife. I can't believe how much gunk Winnebago used. It took so much longer to get the old one off than installing the new one. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sandi

Tags
install