Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installing additional roof air, Onan 5.5KW breaker questions

Hi, on my 2006 Winnebago Voyage, I am in the process of installing a new roof air in an existing Fantastic Roof Vent, and need some help. This install will supplement the undersized 24,000 BTU basement air conditioner (two 12,000 BTU compressors).

I have run a 12/2 w/ground from the new roof air (not yet installed) directly to the breaker box using a new 20 amp breaker. I have 50 amp shore power, an Onan 5.5KW generator, and a 50 amp transfer switch.

On 50 amp shore power, the 3 compressor loads will be ok, but on the Onan generator, there are two breakers.....a 30 amp and a 20 amp. I'm wanting to make sure the 3 compressor loads are split up on these two breakers. How do I split up these loads on these two Generator breakers? Are the Generator loads split up through the 50 amp transfer switch? I'm not necessarily wanting to run all three compressors at the same time with my Onan 5,500, I just want to make sure the 3 compressor loads are split up on the TWO generator breakers.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
Hi, on my 2006 Winnebago Voyage, I am in the process of installing a new roof air in an existing Fantastic Roof Vent, and need some help. This install will supplement the undersized basement air conditioner.

I have run a 12/2 w/ground from the new roof air (not yet installed) directly to the breaker box using a new 20 amp breaker. I have 50 amp shore power, an Onan 5.5KW generator, and a 50 amp transfer switch.

On 50 amp shore power, the 3 compressor loads will be ok, but on the Onan generator, there are two breakers.....a 30 amp and a 20 amp. I'm wanting to make sure the 3 compressor loads are split up on these two breakers. How do I split up these loads on these two Generator breakers? Are the Generator loads split up through the 50 amp transfer switch?
It is easy to find which side your breakers are on. Throw one breaker on the gen. If the AC still works wire the other AC lead to the dead side. If the AC quits wire to the live side.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

You won't be able to run 3 compressors with a 5.5kw gen.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
It is easy to find which side your breakers are on. Throw one breaker on the gen. If the AC still works wire the other AC lead to the dead side. If the AC quits wire to the live side.
Ok great! How do I make sure my new air install goes to the "vacant/unused" generator breaker? Is this accomplished through the 50 amp transfer switch?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With a 50A service (as supplied by Winnebago) the L1 side feeds one compressor and the L2 side feeds the other compressor. This is on shore power or on generator. Check out the wiring diagrams for your coach, I believe you will find that this is the way your coach is configured. The L1 side also feeds the remaining 120 volt circuits in the coach. If you attach it to the L2 side (recommended) you will be near the edge of the capabilities of the current available (especially on the generator) but several folks are running this setup and have not reported problems.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Gene for the helpful post!

Tags
onan, roof