Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

My uncle has a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer and is having trouble with his speedometer. It bounces between 0 & 60 while his is driving. We are looking for a wiring diagram for the instrument panel and have been unable to find one for that year model. It is on a chev chasis and the Chevrolet dealer want $95.00 an hour just to check it out with no guarntee they can fiund the problem. Any help or ideals would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Texmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My uncle has a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer and is having trouble with his speedometer. It bounces between 0 & 60 while his is driving. We are looking for a wiring diagram for the instrument panel and have been unable to find one for that year model. It is on a chev chasis and the Chevrolet dealer want $95.00 an hour just to check it out with no guarntee they can fiund the problem. Any help or ideals would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Texmeme, welcome to the forum.
Is the coach going about 60 mph or does this happen at lower speeds also? You may have to pull dash to see wiring behind it, check for loose wiring to dash panel and for a loose bunch of white gnd wires to a common gnd location to chassis frame. You could have a defective trans cable to dash from trans to dash or it could be loose at one of these locations. You will have to get dirty under coach. Check these out and let us know how your making out. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Texmeme, try to determine if the alternator is operating properly. Its been a few years back, but on a 94 I owned then, a failing, not failed, alternator produced symptoms like yours. Also at times, the speedo would act like a tachometer, sometimes showing 80 mph while going thru a school zone.. Im not an "amps and volts" guy, but I was told that a failed diode was causing the problem, and a new alternator cured it....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, I'll pass on the info.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The speedo cable unscrews from the speedometer and from top the trans, I had the same problem in a truck, the cable was dry, use white grease and put it back. Good luck
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Powdered graphite works better than white grease.

Best regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote