RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #1

RE: Winnebago Journey 2001 32T, Serial No. 10P65B256087, VIN 4UZAAGBV51CJ29785

Since buying this RV in May 2004, we have experienced intermitent sounding of the chime warning alarm without any instrument panel warning lights on including the jacks down warning light.

Incidents include: (1) while highway driving, the chime warning alarm sounds, after a few miles the alarm goes silent and doesn't sound for the trips remaining 174 miles; (2) while highway driving, the chime warning alarm sounds one ding, is silent for 5 - 10 seconds sounds another single ding and then is silent for the remainder of the trip; (3) sometimes when starting from stop after having the parking brake applied, the chime alarm sounds for 3 - 4 miles even after taking extraordinary steps to idle the engine 3 - 5 minutes with parking brake released to insure adequate time for inflating the air suspension air springs.

Since the audible chime warning alarm may be much more than an annoyance, we need to have the problem identified and repaired by an authorized Winnebago dealer. Paying for this repair is my responsibility and not the issue. Having stated that, it is my concern to take every sensible step to minimize the repair cost of an intermitent problem by trying to narrow the scope of the possibilities.

Any previous experiences or suggestions to help isolate this problem before taking the RV to the dealer for repair would be appreciated. My concern is the problem solving confusion for the dealer technician that may be caused by the fact that this is an intermittent problem and the same chime warning alarm sounds for RV subsystems from different vendors including: (1) HWH Touch Panel-Controlled Leveling System, 310 Series; (2) Neway suspension air springs inflation; and (3) Air Brake System.

Thanks,
Newbie4now

newbie4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #2

RE: Winnebago Journey 2001 32T, Serial No. 10P65B256087, VIN 4UZAAGBV51CJ29785

Since buying this RV in May 2004, we have experienced intermitent sounding of the chime warning alarm without any instrument panel warning lights on including the jacks down warning light.

Incidents include: (1) while highway driving, the chime warning alarm sounds, after a few miles the alarm goes silent and doesn't sound for the trips remaining 174 miles; (2) while highway driving, the chime warning alarm sounds one ding, is silent for 5 - 10 seconds sounds another single ding and then is silent for the remainder of the trip; (3) sometimes when starting from stop after having the parking brake applied, the chime alarm sounds for 3 - 4 miles even after taking extraordinary steps to idle the engine 3 - 5 minutes with parking brake released to insure adequate time for inflating the air suspension air springs.

Since the audible chime warning alarm may be much more than an annoyance, we need to have the problem identified and repaired by an authorized Winnebago dealer. Paying for this repair is my responsibility and not the issue. Having stated that, it is my concern to take every sensible step to minimize the repair cost of an intermitent problem by trying to narrow the scope of the possibilities.

Any previous experiences or suggestions to help isolate this problem before taking the RV to the dealer for repair would be appreciated. My concern is the problem solving confusion for the dealer technician that may be caused by the fact that this is an intermittent problem and the same chime warning alarm sounds for RV subsystems from different vendors including: (1) HWH Touch Panel-Controlled Leveling System, 310 Series; (2) Neway suspension air springs inflation; and (3) Air Brake System.

Thanks,
Newbie4now

newbie4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
The only thing on my 05 Journey with an audible alarm that chimes is the jack down warning. All the others (so far) are some form of electronic sounding buzz or beep.

My first reaction is you have a intermittent hot short that's causing voltage to be applied to the hot side of whatever device creates the chime sound. That device is probably at the end of it's own circuit like a radio speaker would be in relationship to a radio. If this is the case then to behave the way you describe the hot short would have occurring somewhere along the hot (not black) wire leading to that device, probably near it. Based on your description the hot source would have to be coming from something in the chassis electrical system that is only activated when the ignition is on and maybe only under certain conditions.

Do you ever smell the "hot wire smell" when this occurs? That would be a sure sign of a short. Lack of a smell means it's more subtle and might mean the problem, including a short, internal to a sealed component.

If your up to it you can try making heads or tails of the Winnie electrical diagrams http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...001_Wiring.htm and consider getting under the dash to trace some wires. You might find all you need is some electrical tape.

If it comes down to going to a dealer then I suggest to help minimize dealership hours you and call Winnebago Service Administration at (800)-537-1885 with your coach serial number and ask for advice including whether there are any TSB's that might fit your symptoms.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Intermitent problems can be tough to find, as they are hard to fix when things are working. The best help I can offer is to advise we had a similar problem with our 03 Horizon. While on a trip our chime went off and kept sounding off for 1000 miles. We had to turn the radio loud enough to over ride it for sanity. It would quite only when we were stopped and set the park brake. We finally made it to a Freightliner dealer who found the chime box had shorted and reversed polarity. The FL dealer said they had experienced several that had failed. You may want to check with the FL people rather than Winni but I would guess it to be your problem. Good luck!
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:04 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: The problem with intermittanta problems is that they must exist for correction to be efficient. That means that you (not WI) may have to do the troubleshooting. If I were in your shoes I would find out 1. Is the jacks down alarm activiated by anything else? A phone call should answer this. 2. Where and what is the circuit board that activated this alarm? 3. I would then try to find out what happens when it activates. Maybe a bad connector, relay, electrical switch etc. By the way, those area the things are most likely to cause a failure.

Good luck.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:39 AM   #6

Had this occur and the fix for us was to turn on the leveling system and ten stow the jacks. Wait until the system shut itself off and then proceed. Keep the motr running when the system is storing. Don't shut the system off, wait for it to do that. It is about 5 minutes.