RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #1

Inverter???

So I am trying to figure out just how this thing is supposed to operate. If I am plugged into a 50 Amp power supply and I disconnect my house battery supply everything quits working. I am assuming that everything in the coach should work if i have AC power applied whether I have any batteries or not. I bought a rebuilt dimensions inverter from another member on the site. I also don't think I get my 120 volts from the inverter when I remove the AC power. Confused??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #2

I think with my RV, plugged into AC and batteries off, nothing works. I have to have the batteries on for anything to work regardless of supplying AC power or not.

As far as inverter working when AC is removed, it depends on how your coach is set up. With mine, only a couple outlets work when running off of the batteries, but some are set up so most things work.

Yamxer438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #3

Not all inverters work the same, some have built in transfer switches that switch to shore power when the inverter is off, some don't. How they behave depends on the model and how it is hooked up.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #4

You have an inverter/charger. It charges your batteries at times when shore power is avalable.

When no shore power, it creates a limited amount of 120 volt power from the batteries.

When you disconnect your batteries, there is no power to keep 12 volt things on.

In simpler models, with converter/chargers ( no inverter ), the converter makes 12 volt power and charges batteries. You don't have that, leave the batteries on.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have an inverter/charger. It charges your batteries at times when shore power is avalable.

When no shore power, it creates a limited amount of 120 volt power from the batteries.

When you disconnect your batteries, there is no power to keep 12 volt things on.

In simpler models, with converter/chargers ( no inverter ), the converter makes 12 volt power and charges batteries. You don't have that, leave the batteries on.
I did not mean to imply that I would not have the batteries connected. I am trying to figure out the system. seems weird to me that you have to have batteries for the AC side of things to work. I understand what the inverter/charger, transfer switches, etc. are supposed to do, just making sure they are all acting correctly.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
I did not mean to imply that I would not have the batteries connected. I am trying to figure out the system. seems weird to me that you have to have batteries for the AC side of things to work. I understand what the inverter/charger, transfer switches, etc. are supposed to do, just making sure they are all acting correctly.
wstalker,
As Twinboat stated, YOUR inverter/charger has two functions. One, it supplies 12VDC to charge the batteries when your coach is plugged into shore power or, when your generator is ON. And, it will supply 120VAC when you have your house batteries ON, AND, you turn the inverter ON to be able to use those house batteries to INVERT the 12VDC to 120VAC.

But, that 12V charging side of that Dimensions unit DOES NOT supply 12VDC to your 12VDC appliances. It merely supplies the 12VDC to charge the batteries.

Your Dimensions unit should be the 2000 watt version, if, IF you purchased the same exact unit that you had. And, it will allow what's called PASS THROUGH 120VAC to your outlets. In that, the Dimensions does not CONTROL that incoming 120VAC, it only allows the incoming 120VAC to pass right through it, when connected to shore power. Once you disconnect from shore power, your incoming 120VAC is shut down to the coach. If you want 120VAC, you have to make sure your house batteries are ON, and, then you turn the INVERTER ON which, now INVERTS 12VDC to 120VAC you're good to go. Hope this helps some.
Scott

P.S. By the way, in your model year (and years before) your Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger DID NOT CHARGE THE CHASSIS BATTERIES when plugged into shore power. Unless your unit has had some form of modifications or, components installed (aftermarket) to allow for shore power charging of the chassis batteries, your unit does not do it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:

Fire up has explained the function very well.

Your main concern, shown in bold, is because your AC appliances, which I assume are the items in your OP that "quit working," all need a 12v input for their controls. Refrigerator, water heater, and A/C all need a 12v input to operate on their 120 AC power from shore. Disconnecting the batteries via the disconnect switch removes the DC needed regardless of the inverter which, as explained, is passing through the AC power. You should have 120v outlet power at all outlets if plugged into shore.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

I appreciate the input, but as I said before I understand the functions of the inverter. I don't believe I have the 120 volts AC when I am connected to batteries only and am waiting to talk to Dimensions tech support about that. What has me curious is when I disconnect the house batteries one of the things for instance is my air conditioner shuts down. I'm assuming after Fire up's explanation that would be because I need the 12VDC to operate the thermostat function. Fireup, am I on the right page with my thinking? The inverter I have I bought from another IRV2 member after he had it rebuilt from Dimensions but never used. It was the same inverter I had, verified by Dimensions tech support. I have a good knowledge of AC and DC electricity and theory of the same. I'm doing my best not to chase my tail and learn the system without overthinking it.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Fire up has explained the function very well.

Your main concern, shown in bold, is because your AC appliances, which I assume are the items in your OP that "quit working," all need a 12v input for their controls. Refrigerator, water heater, and A/C all need a 12v input to operate on their 120 AC power from shore. Disconnecting the batteries via the disconnect switch removes the DC needed regardless of the inverter which, as explained, is passing through the AC power. You should have 120v outlet power at all outlets if plugged into shore.
Definitely when I use the disconnect switch I lose functions so that clears up my thinking. I'm very surprised that if you have battery issues it can affect so much, but there are lots of surprises so far.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
<snip> What has me curious is when I disconnect the house batteries one of the things for instance is my air conditioner shuts down. I'm assuming after Fire up's explanation that would be because I need the 12VDC to operate the thermostat function. <snip>.
You're understanding seems to be correct, with one possible addition.
Regardless of being connected to shore power, you need good 12 volt power for anything with a control panel to work. So that would be (at least), the fridge, the air conditioner, and probably the water heater. This is the part I think you understand.

The possible addition; if you unplug from shore power none of those heavy draw items listed above will work on AC power, even if the inverter is on and 12 volt is present. That's just too much draw for the batteries to support, so they aren't connected to the inverter (certain very specific designs/models of RV may belie that statement, but those have a massive battery bank and probably lots of solar panels).
Depending on the model of fridge you have, it may automatically switch over to propane cooling, and the water heater might also. So they could give the illusion of working off the inverter, but they really aren't.
The air conditioner is just dead if you not either plugged in to shore power or running the generator.

Tags
inverter