Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G. When I first got it, the inverter charged both banks of batteries, engine and coach. After the inverter went bad and had to be replaced, the new one is only charging the coach batteries. The repair shop tells me that is the way its supposed to work and he doesn't really believe me that it used to charge both. Anyone out there with a Winnebago that has had the same problem? Does your inverter charger charge both sets or only one?
Wildturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G. When I first got it, the inverter charged both banks of batteries, engine and coach. After the inverter went bad and had to be replaced, the new one is only charging the coach batteries. The repair shop tells me that is the way its supposed to work and he doesn't really believe me that it used to charge both. Anyone out there with a Winnebago that has had the same problem? Does your inverter charger charge both sets or only one?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Inverters produce, of course, 120 volts ac and therefore don't charge batteries at all unless they have a dc output as well. However, if you think about it that doesn't make sense and is not really done. Let's see, the battery supplies 12 volts to run the inverter which makes 120 volts ac, which is then then changed to 12 volts dc through the 12 volt converter and this charges the batteries? Do you see the problem? Now if all these things were just a little more than 100% efficient this would be a great system.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Even in the high-end coaches (Vectra & Horizon pre- 2006) only the house batteries are charged from the inverter/charger; this has been a subject of much discussion around this forum. For every rule there is an exception, so maybe somehow yours was charging both banks for some reason.

All batteries are charged from the alternator - perhaps you were thinking of this?

Welcome to the forum.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My '02 Ultimate Advantage has the Intellitec Bi-Directional Isolator Relay controller. This board prioritizes the charging by controlling the battery isolator relay. If the ignition is on the chassis battery has priority and once the chassis batteries reach a certain level, the coach batteries are switched in to be charged by the alternator. When on shore power the reverse is true. Look HERE for a description of it's operation.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll have to check to see if the coach has one of those bi-directional isolator relay controllers. I know when we have been parked and plugged before the problems, my engine battery always stayed charged up. Since the repairs it is losing power so I guess I'll have to find a trickle charger to keep them up.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

OK.....the plot thickens....

When I purchased the coach I remember reading somewhere that Winnie was putting "Trickle Charge" on it's coaches....

While I've not yet had the coach back to the dealer for the warranty punch list yet,I have been reading the MANUALS....ALL 3 OF THEM, and I have also searched the Winnie web site.

Other than the battery charging function of the Dimensions unit,there's NO mention of a Trickle Charger....

In the brochure it says the following....
"Battery Charge Control automatic dual",as well as making reference to "Converter/Inverter/Charger DC/AC 2000watt with remote panel."

To me that sounds like two seperate units....

I've been all over and under the coach and haven't found any presence of another charger.

Any ideas?

I do intend to address this at the dealer level,just wondering if anyone knew.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Interesting...

I have an '06 Winnie Journey and when I'm plugged in, the "OnePlace" battery monitors show 13.5+ volts for both House and Chassis batteries. When I unplug, they both go back down to 12.6 (or whatever...)

I too have "heard" that this model year has built-in Trik_L_Charge units, and I *think* I saw a one-line reference to it in one of the bazillion pages of manuals that I got with the unit.

But, of course, I have not actually seen that little sucker... (Anyone know where it lives?)

Steve

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Steve,when you read the Dimensions section of your manual,you'll see the reference to the charging side of the Dimensions unit.

I've not found any literature to support the presence of a Trickle Charge either...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm not familiar with the newer Vectra units, but I understand that the Battery Isolator Relay is in the compartment at the front left (driver's) side. Look around in there for the Intellitec box. It is about 3" by 6" with the Itellitec label. Mine is mounted on the aft wall of the compartment while the relay itself is located on the forward wall.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Not wanting to pirate the thread but I recall that Mr. Canfield has installed the Xantrex Echo Charge. Since reading about it I have been considering the same but need to justify the exchange on Canadian $. I assume this is a potential solution for Wildturkey as well. May I ask John to comment on the product now that he has it up and running?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

There's a recent thread on the 2006 models coming with the trickle-charge and a dealer bulletin on installing the unit on prior models.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

OK - Trik-L-Start found.

On my 06 Journey it lives on the front circuit breaker panel in the generator access area.

FWIW...

Steve

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Steve,I'll check it in the morning..