Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
RKL

is surge protector repairable?

I have a portable Progressive surge protector EMS-PT50C. It is showing a high voltage 158V on L-1 and a low voltage 98V on L-2. It will not allow current flow....At the pedestal I have 125.8 and 125.6V readings. It reads the same on 3 other park pedestals...Does anyone know if these units are repairable....The manual says if a surge damages the unit, replace...I don't think I had a surge condition that I know of...thanks RKL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would contact Progressive. The say the will repair or replace units under warranty so I would be asking about repairs. Also by giving them the exact sequence and error codes they may be able to tell you what is wrong.

Progressive Industries
414B Airport Boulevard
Morrisville, North Carolina 27560
Phone: 919-462-8280
Fax: 919-462-6132

Email: info@progressiveindustries.net

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9AM to 5PM EST.

It is you, our customer, that has made Progressive Industries a business success and we are here to assist you with our products in whatever manner necessary.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
RKL

is surge protector repairable?

bdpreece...thanks I will contact them ...RKL
Old 05-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may or may not be an issue with the surge protector however I have seen ExACTLY that kind of readings on my house believe it or not, and not on a progressive dynamics product but on some very high quality volt meters.

The problem was an open ground

So, first job.. Using a hand held volt meter or using a series of adapters measure the voltage at the pedistal.. To do the adapter method you will need a plug in volt meter or a Kill-A-Watt (Which is about a kilo-buck worth of meters in a 30 dollar box) Adapt down to 15 amps and measure the voltage.. I'm guessing you will see right about 120 volts. which is normal.. Alas you can only check one leg this way

now, check for an open NEUTRAL wire on the power cord for the Surge Guard... IF.. that is, the case can be opened. Beyond that, and a visual for burned trace, you should not need to do.