Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
is this a problem

When I an retracting my bed room slide it works as expected but while retracting I hear a solid bump as the room closes its last 2 inches of travel,,is that a problem or some what normal???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
When I an retracting my bed room slide it works as expected but while retracting I hear a solid bump as the room closes its last 2 inches of travel,,is that a problem or some what normal???
Definitely not normal. You might check under the bed ad see if the stuff there has loaded down the floor panel under the bed. If you don't see anything obvious you may need to remove the floor panel under the bed and see whats going on under there. That panel removes fairly easily and it exposes the mechanism under the bed that controls the slide.

You might also remove everything under the bed and lift up the bed. Watch and listen as you bring the slide in and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

Is the bed in the slideout or the closet?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #4

I get that every once in a while when I hold the close or open button too long after it closes/open. Sounds like the gear is being allowed to slip a notch so it doesn't break anything.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofakleez View Post
I get that every once in a while when I hold the close or open button too long after it closes/open. Sounds like the gear is being allowed to slip a notch so it doesn't break anything.
I believe his 2002 Adventurer has HWH hydraulic levelers and slides, our 2003 Adventurer does.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

check the glide blocks, and the stop bolt under the bed. maybe one glide block is missing or loose. make sure the stop bolt is tight.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
mre

Yes that's what mine did before it completely failed.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
check the glide blocks, and the stop bolt under the bed. maybe one glide block is missing or loose. make sure the stop bolt is tight.
Tks for the come back,,do you know of a PDF or a You-tuber doing this operation or maby just a short recording of this procedure..I would like to know what Im diving into before I jump TKs Terry
Old 12-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #9

You could be hearing the bump as the rubber seal flips when its almost closed. The rubber seals do get stiff in cooler weather and can get quite loud when they hit the 2" angle aluminum that the outside flange of the slide out is mounted on. When they are new they flip almost immediately and more silently however when they get old, cold and stiff they can be quite loud.

Still check it out as there could be other issues and if they are really catching badly it may be time to replace them.

On the Super Slides of that era which have the basement hanging from the slides there will be nylon glide blocks which wear down especially where the front wheel slings dirt when the owner removes the mud flap since those tended to make noise when driving. Replacing those involved putting out the slide half way and jacking it up from the outside edge being careful not to put too much pressure on the top of the slide where it meets the roof and using a saw to cut the pin of the old nylon glide so you can more easily remove it and then sliding a new one in place. You may have to shorten the pin on the new glide block and use a bolt and washer from below to lock it into place after drilling and taping the new glide block to accept the bolt.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I will check my nylon slide plates for wear,,the living room unit slides like a dream its the rear bed room that makes the bump and there is not to much visible under the slide to make a good evaluation. I will look under the bed and smoke it over as was suggested..
Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
I will check my nylon slide plates for wear,,the living room unit slides like a dream its the rear bed room that makes the bump and there is not to much visible under the slide to make a good evaluation. I will look under the bed and smoke it over as was suggested..
The bedroom slide does not have the basement attached and uses a different single piston system with its mechanism under the beds false bottom.

The 2001 and 2002 Adventurers all use the same basic mechanism for the bedroom slide which is mainly supported by two 2X4 blocks with a plastic shoe that slides over the carpeting and is guided by the center rail attached to the floor under the bed. This is why they recommend using the clear HWH Hydraulic Fluid instead of the ones with the red dye in them since even in the event of a minor leak the red can badly/permanently stain the carpet.

You can look up you parts manual from this link (see page 158 for the 35U):
http://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm