RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Itasca Ellipse 2014 Rides Rough

Just purchased this beautiful coach. Our first trip across I80 and every little bump was magnified to a loud shudder. Any ideas?

DougD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
First off, if you have not already done so, look at the tire manufacturers chant and find the recommended tire pressure for each position on the rig. Then fill the tires to that when cold.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD56 View Post
Just purchased this beautiful coach. Our first trip across I80 and every little bump was magnified to a loud shudder. Any ideas?

Doug
My coach did the same when new.
I took it to Freightliner in Gafney SC. for service They adjusted the ride height and as an upgrade they moved one ride height valve from the rear to the front which I am sure added to the fantastic difference.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

Pretty sure is not the tire pressure. When I picked mine up all tires were at 120 and it rode and handled good. Probably like stated above a ride height issue.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

They do ride rough...ain't no Cadillac
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

You should not need 120 all around. On my 2011 I run 110-115 front and 100 on the mains and tag.

One suggestion, too much weight on the tag means your mains are light and forces a lever action (pivot) around the mains putting more weight on the front. More weight on the front means you meed more air in the front to safely carry the weight and thus harsher ride. Go visit a certified CAT scale. Weigh each axle (not corner). If you are carrying too much weight on the tag, have a Freightliner shop adjust it. On my 2011 tag is rated for 10K and from the factory it was carrying almost 8K in weight.

This works best if the scale is near a FTL dealer so you can circle back and forth a few times to get your axle weights properly adjusted (Brooks Oregon for instance has a local FTL dealer and Pilot with CAT scale.

Good luck.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Jesse, I'm curious about the valve upgrade you speak of. All I know of on the Maxum chassis we share is two valves in back and one up front. Could you provide some details?
Not attempting to hijack this thread, PM me your answer if not appropriate here.....on the other hand, the info may be beneficial to all Maxum owners.

Many thanks.

To the OP: congrats on the Ellipse. In addition to the previous points, I would also have all of the chassis grease points checked. There are several throughout, including the independent front suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Doug
My coach did the same when new.
I took it to Freightliner in Gafney SC. for service They adjusted the ride height and as an upgrade they moved one ride height valve from the rear to the front which I am sure added to the fantastic difference.
Jesse
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Jesse, I'm curious about the valve upgrade you speak of. All I know of on the Maxum chassis we share is two valves in back and one up front. Could you provide some details?
Not attempting to hijack this thread, PM me your answer if not appropriate here.....on the other hand, the info may be beneficial to all Maxum owners.

Many thanks.

To the OP: congrats on the Ellipse. In addition to the previous points, I would also have all of the chassis grease points checked. There are several throughout, including the independent front suspension.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4910128
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the link Jesse.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca