Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #1

Itasca Questions

We're just wrapping up a 2,000 mile shakedown cruise in our newly acquired 2007 Itasca Ellipse 40TD coach with the Cummins 400 HP engine option. With 41k miles at purchase it is in excellent condition inside and out. I have questions for owners of similar coaches.

1) At 65 mph, turning just under 1,700 rpm and pulling a 3,000# Jeep Wrangler, we're getting only 5 - 6.5 mpg in desert driving. Our old coach, 1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A with ISB 275 Cummins, got 8 - 9.5 mpg under the same driving conditions. What fuel consumption are other Itasca owners getting?
2) When we prepare to vacate an overnight setup, with engine speed set at 1,200 rpm, air pressure builds very slowly, hesitantly reaching something less than 100 psi, and it takes a very long time for the coach to rise to ride height after retracting slides and leveling jacks. After all that happens and we get under way, air builds to just under 100 psi and stays there until we park and setup again. Is this normal for that model?
3) The coach had never had a satellite system installed and we had a Winegard dome installed on it. The tech that installed the dome says there was only one coax available inside the roof to connect to the dome, although the coach came with two TVs inside and both have two coaxs available for connection, and the build sheet states that it is "Satellite ready". The tech says Winnebago wired coaches with one coax at the roof connection and "split that off into two coaxs" to feed the tv system. Sounds fishy to me! Is that true, or is that BS?
4) In the left rear corner of the bedroom a cabinet/shelf has obviously been removed from the wall. It appears it was "torn from the wall". I assume this was a cabinet for TV related items. Any information on that and does anyone have a photo of what the item looked like?

We're now headed home so we can address all of the items we have on our fix/change list. Any other information on this coach will be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A few answers....

1. Mileage. We replaced a 1998 Monaco with mechanical 8.3L with our present 2004 Winnebago with 8.3L electronic ISC. Towing the same car, same route, etc. we now get 7-7.5 instead of 8.5-9. Your numbers do sound a little bit low, but much depends on wind, towing, etc. Just offering numbers for comparison.
2. Air pressure. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere (to me, at least). Again the old Monaco would take something like 5 minutes to go from fully flat to full pressure and all bags inflated. The 'new' Winnie takes maybe 3 minutes (much faster). I'd say there is a slow leak somewhere in the air pressure system - based on ownership of far-too-many DPs historically.
3. Winnebago posts the tv wiring for their rigs on their website. http://www.winnebagoind.com - look under the Resources tab at the top, then Wiring Diagrams - Motorized. Select the year, then coach, and the schematics are there. You will know for sure what was originally installed - but (again my experience), there is no telling who did what after that. I cannot fathom why, but RV owners seem to love removing disconnecting wiring (including under the dash) and leaving things disconnected/unlabeled - leave those who come behind scratching their heads if the system ever needs attention.
4. To find photos, one good place that has worked for me is Youtube. Do a search on the make, model, and year, and many times you can find someone showing a demo of your exact model.

Best of luck!
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #3

We get 8 mpg towing a Honda CR-V . The air pressure in our coach builds up too more than 100 psi on both guages in less than 5 minutes. The air ride system takes about a minute to fully inflate. Our MH is 40 ft 2006 Itasca Horizon on FL Evelution chassis with 8.9 turbo 400 and Cummins 3000 tranny.

Your air pressure symptoms seem suspicious to me. You should have more than 100 psi while traveling.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #4

I can only speak of the air system.

There is a problem that needs attention. The pressure should and needs to build up to around 120 psi on both gauges. That is the pressure that signals the air dryer to unload and eject any moisture.

If the air dryer is not purging, your air system will accumulate excess moisture, that can damage the rest of system.

It may be the air dryer filter that is blocked and causing your problem.

Unless you can do do the repairs your self, I would limit driving it, except to a repair shop. Although it seems to stop OK, you need full air pressure for a panic stop.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

We have a 2008 40TD with Magnum Chassis and 400 ISL. Milage improved to in the 9 plus range with change to Toyo M177 over original tires. Computer shows range of 9 to mid 10 range towing Ford Edge on level cruise. At times in the 8's, but how I drive is a big factor. I drive 60mph and use cruise control as much as possible. Above 60 is the point of dimishing return. Burn more fuel and the few minutes gained are not worth it. Of course the computer shows 3.5 on steep hills and 150+ downhill. I never need more than 1/2 to 2/3 throttle on hills with that 1200# of torgue.

Tire pressure at 100psi is a sweet spot for us on the MH. Running the Toad at 35.

We installed the Winegard Traveler and also learned that there is one cable from the roof to the selector "box" under the main TV. Our bedroom TV is on the sidewall above the window. There is a washer/dryer with hose plumbing/hot water tank related items above that in the left rear corner.

The air pressure inflates up to around 100 psi from full dump in a couple of minutes at normal warm up idle. You can hear the air pressure "purge" release outside as it regulates. The outside gage at the hose connector shows over 125 to 130psi. The ride height immediately raises all the way when selecting the brake off and either D or R on the transmission.

FYI. With that coach you do not need to run the engine while extending jacks and slides. I have all the manuals which give us options, which may be different from other coaches on the forum.

We purchased our MH June 2013 and as with any the learning curve is steep.

If you need more info email and I'll be glad to get you what I can.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca