Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
It is common knowledge among Class A & C RVers that the full width flaps often cause damage rather than preventing it. The primary variable is how far it is from the road at ride height. Mine is apx 6" at ride height. That means it rarely if ever touches the road surface except when going through dips. But I still removed it for an Alaska caravan, and warned a Class C owner that his flap was too low. He continued as it was, and by the time we got back to the US his toad needed a total repaint and it was difficult to see through the windshield ... no cracks, but covered with sand-blast type pits. I have noticed when my flap is off the toad and rear of the coach may get dirtier when driving in rain ... but of course, in that situation, "dirtier" is a relative term. The rubber portion of mine has become unsightly due to damage from an oil leak blowing back on it. I am ready to hang it on the shop wall when we get back to home base ... probably outside.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #16

Maybe that’s the difference with mine and makes sense. I’ve looked at the bottom edge and there is no indication of scraping, so it’s not a scrape/ kick-up culprit. I’ve always felt that it’s actually a better barrier for rocks kicked up being further back from the tires. Seems the flaps on the tires are useless. I guess properly hung, as it were, will actually help

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #17

Seems with that larger flap moving forwards, the turbulence would be directly behind the flap.
There is a constant flow of air to the front, with air circulating in the rear.

Think of sweeping a dirty garage floor. (almost)
Watch the turbulence behind the broom.
Might be a bad compare.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
Seems with that larger flap moving forwards, the turbulence would be directly behind the flap.
There is a constant flow of air to the front, with air circulating in the rear.

Think of sweeping a dirty garage floor. (almost)
Watch the turbulence behind the broom.
Might be a bad compare.
Well,
Your analysis is somewhat correct. The primary difference is, you're applying very slow and virtually minute amount of air movement, vs the much higher speed and volume of air in and around that large debris flap. Not only that but, in about 90% or more coaches out there, there is also the fact that there's a rather large engine fan that is helping to created additional turbulence and toss things around back there. So, the forward movement of the coach, (at whatever speed we're talking here), the proximity of that large flap in relation to the ground/freeway/roadway etc. and, the fan. All in all, there's quite a bit of turbulence back there and, as has beens stated, there seems to be a general consensus that with the flap, CHIPS, without the flap, NO CHIPS.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Mine was in the storage compartment when I bought this RV. I put it on and found it had been bent in the middle and didn't hang correctly. I added some reinforcement and rehung it. Didn't care for it so it's been sitting in the shop several years.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I once rented a 07 Winnebago sightseer drove it across country and was told by an officer in Illinois that it was a requirement that the rear axle not be visible from behind.

And that may be why they are provided? Don't know if is but.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #21

Big mudflap

My Journey had the flap with large, heavy sheet of stainless steel. Another vehicle lost it's driveshaft in front of us and, among other things, the flap metal parts
were really bent badly. I've removed the stainless steel sign and replaced the bent mount (with angle from a bed frame) and rehung just the rubber part. 7k+ miles later, all is good. My 4Runner sits high, and I don't notice any chips. I'm wondering if I should remount the flap closer to the rear, but I'd have to extend my slobber tube.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
I once rented a 07 Winnebago sightseer drove it across country and was told by an officer in Illinois that it was a requirement that the rear axle not be visible from behind.

And that may be why they are provided? Don't know if is but.
IM,
Well, this by far is the most far fetched idea I've read in a long time. Axles are visible on a ZILLION trucks, RVs, cars, pickups and more, EVERYWHERE in the U.S. Not to mention, in about 99.99999999% of the RVs out there, the diff is pretty much tucked up in its environment. Especially on Diesel coaches that sit much lower than most gas coaches. Boy, I'd like to see that infraction in writing. If, IF, it exists, I will stand corrected.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
My Journey had the flap with large, heavy sheet of stainless steel. Another vehicle lost it's driveshaft in front of us and, among other things, the flap metal parts
were really bent badly. I've removed the stainless steel sign and replaced the bent mount (with angle from a bed frame) and rehung just the rubber part. 7k+ miles later, all is good. My 4Runner sits high, and I don't notice any chips. I'm wondering if I should remount the flap closer to the rear, but I'd have to extend my slobber tube.
Well,
If you read most of this thread, and there's plenty more, it states that about 98% of the folks, including myself on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, have removed it completely and, our chips problems are almost all but gone. If you want your full length flap there, by all means, keep it there. Mine's been gone now for well over a year, maybe two and, I wouldn't put it back on if someone paid me to.
As for your slobber tube, you mentioned you'd have to extend it if you moved your flap. Well, most slobber tubes of that era already have been extended to keep the oil mist from potentially coating the CAC and radiator fins. But, maybe yours has already been extended somewhat.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Fire up,

I agree with you, and I did not engage the officer as he was conducting a canine search of the outside of the rv at the time.
No citation given as he was just fishing.

Tags
itasca