Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

Itasca View generator propane use question

I'm taking delivery this week of a new 2016 Itasca Navion with a propane generator. I don't wish to turn this into the merits of a propane vs. diesel generator discussion.

I'm curious to hear from other Navion (or Winnebago View) owners about the use of the propane generator. We often dry-camp for a week at time and in the past with our previous gas Class C and gas Class A we would run the generator in the afternoon for an hour or so to run the AC and perhaps the microwave to fix dinner. Can I expect a full propane tank to last for the week also considering using it for the refrigerator and a limited amount of stove use (coffee in the morning).

Thanks for any and all advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

2014 Profile View

I have a 2014 Profile View with a Propane Gen. I had the same concerns that you have regards to how long propane would last. I tailgate for 5 hours and i am able to get two tailgate games totaling about 10 hours. Now I do not run the AC or microwave that much, be the Gen does run for a straight 5 hours a shot. I was actually pleased on how long it lasted.

My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I'm taking delivery this week of a new 2016 Itasca Navion with a propane generator. I don't wish to turn this into the merits of a propane vs. diesel generator discussion.

I'm curious to hear from other Navion (or Winnebago View) owners about the use of the propane generator. We often dry-camp for a week at time and in the past with our previous gas Class C and gas Class A we would run the generator in the afternoon for an hour or so to run the AC and perhaps the microwave to fix dinner. Can I expect a full propane tank to last for the week also considering using it for the refrigerator and a limited amount of stove use (coffee in the morning).

Thanks for any and all advice.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #3

LP burn on 3.6 KW Onan is: no load, .4 g/h; 1/2 load, .6 g/h; and, full load, .7 g/h.

Tank is 13 G. Max fill is 80% or 10.5 gallons LP.

Assume full tank, 10.5 gallons & no other LP use: 26.2 h; 16.6 h; & 15 h.

Theoretically! YHMV!

Other than AC, microwave, and water heater there are minimal electric loads so the burn will be light. Put fridge on Auto and it will pick the best source! If you are on generator/shore power use electric for water heater. Use LP to reheat or faster heating. Use inverter to make your coffee and light 110v loads so you don't power up the genny.

Charging batteries is problematic ... It is a low watt/low current draw effort using only a fraction of the genny's output. It takes time...a lot of time to charge a battery set to 100%... LOTS of time. Time means fuel burn albeit low consumption. Get a volts/% charge chart and post near the "One Place" display. When down to about 50-60% charge on batteries, recharge to about 90%. The point is to quickly replace lost charge but not to waste fuel trying to polish the charge up to 100% as it will take forever. Forever = fuel burn.

Hope this helps.

Tags
generator, itasca, propane