Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca vinyl floor covering SCRAP!

I just bought a 2005 Itasca Sunova 30B in Texas. I love the interior. It has low mileage and is very clean. When I came back in Quebec, Qc, Canada, everything was OK. We had low temperature (-28) and when I entered my motorhome, all the vinyl floor covering was completely SCRAP. It is due to lack of possibility to contract and extend, depending the weather. I ask Winnebago if they can do something for me, the answer is NO. They told that the warranty was over, but legal warranty applies in those conditions. Did somebody else had this problem? If so, what was the issue?
fplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplante View Post
I just bought a 2005 Itasca Sunova 30B in Texas. ....They told that the warranty was over, but legal warranty applies in those conditions.
Perhaps "legal warranty" does under Canadian law, but I seriously doubt that it does in Texas - the point of sale. Good luck in resolving the problem at any rate.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I just bought a 2005 Itasca Sunova 30B in Texas. I love the interior. It has low mileage and is very clean. When I came back in Quebec, Qc, Canada, everything was OK. We had low temperature (-28) and when I entered my motorhome, all the vinyl floor covering was completely SCRAP. It is due to lack of possibility to contract and extend, depending the weather. I ask Winnebago if they can do something for me, the answer is NO. They told that the warranty was over, but legal warranty applies in those conditions. Did somebody else had this problem? If so, what was the issue?
Welcome to the forum!

What exactly to you mean by "all the vinyl floor covering was completely SCRAP"? Also not sure what you mean by the "contract and extend".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've read in a TT forum where linoleum flooring split due to very cold temperatures. The forum discussion revolved around flooring installation, where cupboards/cabinets/walls etc. anchored the linoleum and not allowing for expansion/shrinkage due to temperature. This discussion was all conjecture without any factual information provided but I thought it was interesting.
For the OP; sorry that this happened to you, not something you expected. There are a lot of nice peel-n-stick tiles on the market that will look terrific. One thing for you to remember, although the coach is new to you, it is still 6 years old. Some days you are the bug, other days you are the windshield.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would also like to know what's wrong with the vinyl. Something is not right. Having been in the housing business for 40 years, if a buyer called the builder after 6 years and told them the vinyl was scrap--they would fall over laughing. Floor coverings do not have that long of a warranty--anywhere that I know of. Enjoy that new motorhome and take it from the rest of us long time RV'ers--fix it and wait for the next thing needing to be fixed! It a great way to "spend" your retirement! Happy Travels.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Something else must be happening. I camped in -17F last Christmas and had no problems. We were at that temperature almost nightly for 3 weeks. We left the propane heater on all day and night at 65-68.

I wonder if the vinyl got wet than froze and unfroze. Good luck.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Welcome to the forum!

What exactly to you mean by "all the vinyl floor covering was completely SCRAP"? Also not sure what you mean by the "contract and extend".

Rick
I mean it opened in the middle. Coefficient of dilatation is a way to calculate the expansion or contraction of material with temperature. By example, steel change of size 11 parts per millions by Celsius degree. The vinyl floor covering must have of coefficient of dilatation too. The proof is that it is more flexible with high temperatures and it is more stiff in low temperature. I GUESS that when it is fixed with high temperature and is then submitted to low temperature, the vinyl floor covering must have place to move. If it is fixed too tight, the vinyl will crack, that is what happened. Can I send a photo on your forum? Is a vision of horror...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Something else must be happening. I camped in -17F last Christmas and had no problems. We were at that temperature almost nightly for 3 weeks. We left the propane heater on all day and night at 65-68.

I wonder if the vinyl got wet than froze and unfroze. Good luck.
Tom
My motorhome is store for the winter, so Il do not heat. It was ok before the -28 night. No the vinyl was dry and clean.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
I mean it opened in the middle. Coefficient of dilatation is a way to calculate the expansion or contraction of material with temperature. By example, steel change of size 11 parts per millions by Celsius degree. The vinyl floor covering must have of coefficient of dilatation too. The proof is that it is more flexible with high temperatures and it is more stiff in low temperature. I GUESS that when it is fixed with high temperature and is then submitted to low temperature, the vinyl floor covering must have place to move. If it is fixed too tight, the vinyl will crack, that is what happened. Can I send a photo on your forum? Is a vision of horror...
Yes, I'd like to see a photo of what happened to your floor as we have issues with the vinyl pulling up in spots. I'm wondering if yours is similar to ours or what.

You can hotlink a photo to your post by using the icon if the photo is being stored on a photo hosting site online such as photobucket, flkr, etc.

Or, if the photo is on your local drive, you can attach it to your post by using the attachment icon where you upload it to this site as an attachment.

Thanks.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Yes, I'd like to see a photo of what happened to your floor as we have issues with the vinyl pulling up in spots. I'm wondering if yours is similar to ours or what.

You can hotlink a photo to your post by using the icon if the photo is being stored on a photo hosting site online such as photobucket, flkr, etc.

Or, if the photo is on your local drive, you can attach it to your post by using the attachment icon where you upload it to this site as an attachment.

Thanks.
Photo 1: small problem near stairs
Photo 2: large problem in kitchen
Photo 3: zoom of the main problem in the kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	8133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	8134  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinyl 3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	8135  
Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Photo 1: small problem near stairs
Photo 2: large problem in kitchen
Photo 3: zoom of the main problem in the kitchen
There is a crack too in the room...
Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I may be mistaken but in the third picture I don't see any glue. Not sure if that is correct but if it should have been glued down and wasn't than you may have a negotiating point with Winnebago.

Dick
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It is my understanding that RV manufacturers do not install vinyl in the conventional way. Because it is installed 1st, all other components installed hold it down, so no glue is used.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #14

Good grief! Thanks for posting the pix.

No, that's not what is happening to ours. We have the vinyl tiles that are pulling up. The tiles allow a bit of contraction and expansion but are pretty crappy overall.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

That looks pretty nasty - but on the bright side the cost of replacing it isn't high and and easy DIY job. We replaced our vinyl flooring with Allure laminate sold at Home Depot -worth a look.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg5000 View Post
That looks pretty nasty - but on the bright side the cost of replacing it isn't high and and easy DIY job. We replaced our vinyl flooring with Allure laminate sold at Home Depot -worth a look.
I look for something that will resist to very cold weather. I would not like to repair it each year. Does somebody know what will be the best?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I look for something that will resist to very cold weather. I would not like to repair it each year. Does somebody know what will be the best?
we installed allure from home depot over a year ago. it is supposed to be a ''floating'' floor but we made ours semi floating. it is working well for us in temperatures ranging from about 40 degrees f to about 100 f.
there is a thread describing our installation with pictures in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Hmmm, it looks like it dried up and become brittle. I wonder if something not meant for vinyl was used to clean the floor and caused a reaction compromising the integrity of the material.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
we installed allure from home depot over a year ago. it is supposed to be a ''floating'' floor but we made ours semi floating. it is working well for us in temperatures ranging from about 40 degrees f to about 100 f.
there is a thread describing our installation with pictures in the archives of this forum.
I am interested to see that, can you give me the link?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Hmmm, it looks like it dried up and become brittle. I wonder if something not meant for vinyl was used to clean the floor and caused a reaction compromising the integrity of the material.

Good luck
Tom
I think it is really cold weather. One winter day I visited a RV dealer and I have seen something like that in NEW RV. There had been very cold weather and about 5 or 6 RV went the same way (I have visited one, I must trust the seller)