RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Itasca vs Winnebago

I'm positive this has been touched before, but what are the differences in the Itasca and Winnebago brand? Also, I am newly very interested in the Ellipse Ultra line. What are the thoughts on that particular line? It doesn't look like there are that many used ones available.

Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

the itasca nameplate has been retired. but to your point the basic differences were paint, trim and some options on a wimnebago were std on an itasca. think ford vs mercury, buick vs caddy, etc.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

Itasca, many years ago, offered Winnebago options as standard equipment. But in more recent history Winnebago and Itasca were exactly the same except for inside and outside colors. Itasca is being retired.

I have no information about the Ellipse Ultra.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The Ellipse Ultra is the same coach as the Ellipse with only a few differences. The few differences that come to mind are,
Ultra has Gerard awnings, some fancier woodwork trim inside, paint scheme.......and that's about all I can think of really. The rest of the coach is exactly the same.
WBGO did the same thing regarding the Tour and Grand Tour with the exception of the Grand Tour 45RL. The RL is a 45ft coach with a side radiator and even more interior amenities, it also sports 295 tires on all wheels. The others have 295s in front, and 275s on rears. They ALL share the same chassis/engine/transmission.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
The Ellipse Ultra is the same coach as the Ellipse with only a few differences. The few differences that come to mind are,
Ultra has Gerard awnings, some fancier woodwork trim inside, paint scheme.......and that's about all I can think of really. The rest of the coach is exactly the same.
WBGO did the same thing regarding the Tour and Grand Tour with the exception of the Grand Tour 45RL. The RL is a 45ft coach with a side radiator and even more interior amenities, it also sports 295 tires on all wheels. The others have 295s in front, and 275s on rears. They ALL share the same chassis/engine/transmission.
Do they all have the outdoor kitchens? I really like that feature.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Most of them do, some do not. As a rule though, most I've seen do. All are located in the bay just in front of the drive axle, curb/passenger side.
I think this dates back to the 2012s?.....2013 for sure.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I'm positive this has been touched before, but what are the differences in the Itasca and Winnebago brand? Also, I am newly very interested in the Ellipse Ultra line. What are the thoughts on that particular line? It doesn't look like there are that many used ones available.
To be sure you can call or e mail Winnebago Customer relations your question. We did so when looking to purchase our 2013 Adventurer. At the time we were waffling between a Winnebago Adventurer and an Itasca Suncruiser. We knew in the past there had been some cosmetic differences, and some items standard on a Suncruiser that were optional on an Adventurer.

Winnebago e mailed us a list of the differences. If I recall correctly there were 15. 14 of them were badging (where one would say "Itasca" the other would say "Winnebago"). The only other difference was 1 color choice for leather on the sofa, driver's and passenger's seats.

Having said that there was still a $3,000.00 difference in MSRP. When we went to the dealers they were still asking that much more for the Suncruisers than the Adventurers. Since we weren't interested in the different color for seat covers we purchased another Adventurer.

The interesting thing was that speaking to several dealers they said the lower priced Adventurers generally had a higher resale value than the identical Itascas. The reason being more people were familiar with the Winnebago name. It seemed he was right when it came time to sell the 2001 Adventurer we had traded in. With well over 100,000 miles on the odometer they sold it in less than 2 weeks for nearly 1/3 of the price we originally paid for it 12 years earlier.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are identical with each brand offering different colors inside and outside with the same trim level on equivalent coaches. Winnebago evidently used the Itasca brand to establish additional dealerships to avoid violating exclusivity territories of existing Winnebago dealers. This was many, many years ago - others might be able to provide additional details however the rationale was expansion.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

the itasca models offered different exterior colors and interior fabrics and also made some options on the winnebago nameplate std on the itasca nameplate. think lincoln/mercury vs ford. as the years went past the differences became fewer and fewer.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #10

The rear cap on the Adventurer and the Sightseer are different looks like the sightseer is a one piece fiberglass end cap, I'm looking at the 2019 year models.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Bobmac and rk911, I think you are both correct. The only thing I would add, myself being from North Iowa and remembering years past is......I recall in the early days of Itasca it was also marketed as the "highline" of WBGO products. Itascas also cost more back then, than did the Winnebago counterparts.
Everything you guys said is exactly right, I just had that tidbit to add.

Tags
itasca, winnebago