Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Rain-rain-rain here. 1.15 inches so far today! Supposed to rain all week. What a great opportunity to check the coach for leaks.

Everything looked great as we did our inspection in the coach until Jane felt water on the carpet under the forward part of the bedroom slide. Not much, but we are zero tolerance for leaks!

Looking at the outside/forward part of the bedroom slide where it was leaking, I can see where a little water could be channeled in in spite of the two or three flaps. I need to think about fix possibilities here when it stops raining. Our "quick fix" was to retract the slide.

Anybody have any ideas here?

I was also curious if the AE patio awning would dip and dump the water as advertised. I put out the awning and in a few minutes like advertised it dipped and dumped. Problem was it didn't dump all of the water and I wasn't willing to continue the test and risk a catastropic failure

The saga continues... but hey - it's part of the deal

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Rain-rain-rain here. 1.15 inches so far today! Supposed to rain all week. What a great opportunity to check the coach for leaks.

Everything looked great as we did our inspection in the coach until Jane felt water on the carpet under the forward part of the bedroom slide. Not much, but we are zero tolerance for leaks!

Looking at the outside/forward part of the bedroom slide where it was leaking, I can see where a little water could be channeled in in spite of the two or three flaps. I need to think about fix possibilities here when it stops raining. Our "quick fix" was to retract the slide.

Anybody have any ideas here?

I was also curious if the AE patio awning would dip and dump the water as advertised. I put out the awning and in a few minutes like advertised it dipped and dumped. Problem was it didn't dump all of the water and I wasn't willing to continue the test and risk a catastropic failure

The saga continues... but hey - it's part of the deal

-John

Old 05-31-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

John,
We had the same thing. We found a piece of foam rubber that was doing some kind of wicking from the outside to the carpet. It was on the outside of the slide opening but attached to the coach. Sherri just pulled off about two inches and the wet carpet went away.
Walt
Old 05-31-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

I saw the rain booth at Winnebago Industries, you could drown something for sure with the amount of water that they impact on the vehicle however the slides are closed.

If where you are it's raining sideways it may just happen that something may leak but it shouldn't.

We haven't experienced any leaks so far. Part of the routine "default" maintenance items that you receive at Winnebago Industries Customer Service is a free roof inspection. If you have any leaks elsewhere a trip back to the mother ship may help.

I suggest that at some point everyone should make an effort to visit Winnebago Industries and have a little maintenance performed on the coach while touring the plant.

Call and make an appointment ahead of time.

I will write more about my "tour" and Winnebago Industries within the next few days.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

John,

That big blob of rain has cleared us down here in SW FL and the sun is out. When it clears there, be sure to get those awnings extended and dried out. Stuff really likes to grow on rolled up wet awnings in our FL envirounment.

At least you've only got one leak! Haven't had any with mine, but my previous Southwind had a leak in the same spot. As you suggested, all it took was a little adjusting and securing of the flaps in the corner.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kiwi:
John,
We had the same thing. We found a piece of foam rubber that was doing some kind of wicking from the outside to the carpet. It was on the outside of the slide opening but attached to the coach. Sherri just pulled off about two inches and the wet carpet went away.
Walt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walt - Bingo I think! I found this triangular piece of foam on the bottom corner of the bedroom slide which was preventing a seal of the gasket flap from the wall corner of the coach to the wall of the slide. It is curious that the other corner of the bedroom slide did not have this piece of foam and you could see where it had been peeled away apparently by the factory. Now this joint looks like all of the others on the slides!

DriVer - We had a factory tour at the end of March and the rain booth was amazing! I am suprised that this leak wasn't discovered then. Maybe it just took hours of steady rain for the water to inflitrate. I would like to take the coach up there next spring. I'm sure we will have this or that to be tweaked/fixed.

Tom - thanks - when we see the sun I will get the patio awning out to dry. That is a good suggestion.

-John

Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

Hopefully whatever you did with the triangular piece will fix the problem. I had a leak similar to yours that only occurred in a heavy driving rain. My dealer found what he said was a hard piece of plastic shaped like a bowl in the lower corner that emptied the water onto the carpet. Checked it with the last rainstorm and so far so good.

DriVer said the slides were closed when the units go to the rain booth. That's fine for checking the seal around the outside edge of the slide but that seal is irrelevant when the slide is out. IMHO I would think they should also check the units with slides out
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
DriVer said the slides were closed when the units go to the rain booth. That's fine for checking the seal around the outside edge of the slide but that seal is irrelevant when the slide is out. IMHO I would think they should also check the units with slides out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They check all the seals with the slides in as a routine thing. I am sure in R&D that they have checked to see if the design will hold up when the slides are out.

About remaking the rain booth wider, fuggetabout it, I don't think they're going to do that. The focus there is the windshield, roof, the end caps and walls. Did you know that during the rain test, the booth is in a dark environment and a Winnebago employee is aboard with a flashlight looking for leaks after every motorhome comes off the line.

I was standing on a cat walk over the top of a motorhome that had previously come out of the booth. Boy those roofs are sure white! From there the motorhome goes over to Stitchcraft and then Ship Out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

John,

We've had humongus amounts of rain down here since you removed the foam wick. Have you had a chance to retest in your tropical rain booth?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Tom,

Not a lot of rain today as yet - about 1/2 inch. I checked the coach this morning and we had a little leak in the same corner of the bedroom slide, but I don't think it was as bad as before I pulled out that foam piece.

It appears that the little leak is caused by water dripping on the bottom of the slide and then running in the little channel formed where the trim moulding joins the bottom plate (the bottom of the floor, outside). The horizontal rubber flap at the bottom of the slide floor doesn't fill in this gap and this is a direct channel for a little water to wick in.

I probably should take a picture and post it so everybody knows what/where I'm talking about in case they have leak problems.

I had another little leak that I noticed in the ceiling above the bedroom TV. We have the TV hyper-extended in preparation for removal, and I noticed a little water coming through an oblong channel cut in the headliner and through the styrofoam where a 110VAC wire runs in the headliner to somewhere. It appears the leak origin is from a tiny corner of the rear ladder leg mount where it turns and screws into the top of the coach. A corner of the mounting pad was NOT sealed (obvious since you can see the black pad) and the QC people missed this.

I now have this gooped up with polyurathane (sp?) caulk and this should fix this problem.

--John (who appears to be working through the little problems)

Old 06-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

John, I would like to commend you on the way you are going thru the coach and fixing those little problems. You are proceeding the right way and not losing your cool over some deficiencies. I think everyone will agree it takes about a year before you fix everything and are satisfied with your MH. Good luck and keep these interesting posts coming..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

That's why I don't get the 1 year warranty, It's just not long enough! Forrest City is along way away $$$.Things should just work right.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Hey John,

Any way of getting your new baby in range of the pond cam so we can help watch over it for you
Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Tom,

I suppose I should call it the "stealth" coach. I looked first thing after we got it parked on the web cam and you really can't tell what's back there. I had to lower the camera resolution because I was having trouble viewing the pond while we were travelling.

You can try the cam here. See if you can spot it!

Oh - just click anywhere on the picture to move the camera.

John

Old 06-02-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

John -

At the CCW limit of the cam, I can see a bit of a shape back there in the woods, but the sun angle is really interferring right now. And, as you said, the resolution is too low to zoom in more than x1.0. I can see what looks like a pale green two story structure around at the CW limit, but don't see any RV shapes there verry stealthy...
Old 06-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Tom - I changed the resolution of the camera late yesterday to its highest quality setting and it still didn't make much of a difference due to a particular tree being in the way. The tall green structure is my barn/shop and the coach is right in front of it. I painted the barn dark green so it wouldn't dominate the scene.

**Leak Update**

Fortunately early last evening while we were on the coach we got a very heavy dump of rain for at least a half an hour.

Discovered that my bedroom slide leak is still there although I think I'm on the right track for curing the problem.

And unfortunately (or I suppose fortunately) Jane found the window on the street-side slide (right behind the driver's position) leaking profusely . The window will need to come out and be resealed. Now I get to schedule a Winnie repair. This should be interesting

Winnie should really have the slides open in the rain booth.

-John

Old 06-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Here in Forest City we have at least a half dozen Vectra/Horizon coaches and one Jouney with leaky bedroom slide seals waiting for service.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:06 AM   #18
Jim
Winnebago Owner

I had a leak at the lower front corner of the bedroom slide..after many hours of spraying and testing i believe the water was coming from the outside corner of the slide and not the rubber seals..when the slide is extended,if you look at the lower left corner as you face the side of the slide,you may see a gap where the 2 pieces come together..i believe water was entering there and running along the inside of the channel into the rv..i plugged it with rope caulk and have had no leaks since..jim
Old 06-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Jim - great tip - thanks. I'll give that a looksee today.

John

Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

John, is your coach a Winnebago with an A&E awning? There is a problem with A & E Awnings and most Winnebago DP. The awning does not go out far enough because the canvas is to short, which does not let the awning drop down far enough. The way to tell is if you awning arms are extended straight out (almost flat) or are they slightly bent. If slightly bent then your material is to short and the arms cannot lock out properly allowing the wait of the water to push the awning rear slide arm in all the time. Sometimes the awnings will buckel in the middle from the weight of the water and slam back against the R/V.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote