RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

Jeep failure

This is a 2017 jeep wrangler has anybody experienced this kind of problem before or close to it. If this is a problem we all need to know about this for those who tow jeep wranglers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B27104A-AD79-4719-9B78-C0D41F92CC07.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	272162  

Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #2

Sorry, I can’t read the text of what happened. Can you summarize?

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Sorry, I can’t read the text of what happened. Can you summarize?
Click on the picture - it gets bigger.

The Jeep snapped an axle while being towed causing an almost deadly wreck.

Makes me wonder if the transfer case was really in neutral, or 2H.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
This is a 2017 jeep wrangler has anybody experienced this kind of problem before or close to it. If this is a problem we all need to know about this for those who tow jeep wranglers.
You should just have to TAP the photo with your mouse to enlarge and click on a second time to enlarge more.

"He was saying that the drive shaft broke and flipped the jeep, almost killing them. Then almost rolled them down a 30-foot hill."

Lucky no was killed, but I'm wondering if they may have been on some off-road trail and bent the drive shift and it came apart over time. Maybe a good idea to check/inspect the under bottom after every off-road trail.
Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #5

A few of the JL's from certain dates have a well known frame welding issues, but I've never seen a problem like this before.

I suspect Dogman is correct. I'm a Jeep guy and spend a lot of my time off road in a Jeep. I see people overload these things and then beat hell out of them regularly. They are tough, but not indestructible. Frankly, the Dana 44 rear axle is probably undersized for putting larger tires on and loading four passengers in to go wheeling. The pictured vehicle does indeed have oversize tires.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

Even worse, the Jeep looks like a non-Rubicon 2 door so it may only have a Dana 35 in the rear.

There are conflicting statements, the FB post says the axle broke and then further down in the thread here is an apparent quote that talks about the drive shaft. Not the same thing. In any case the Jeep has (had) larger tires and a lifted suspension so the owner can't really blame Jeep if something broke.

The driveshaft on the 2 door is pretty short and typically needs to be changed with more than 2-3" of lift because of the CV-style joints. If the driveshaft breaks at the transfer case and falls down it can cause a really nasty accident. There is a reason driveshaft loops are required in most drag racing classes.

I'm stereotyping but looking at the fancy wheels I'd guess this Jeep was built for show, not go anywhere.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Looking at the pic.. the right rear tire/wheel is out of kilter.. so broken axle or axle to hub failure.. will just stick to the old mb's
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The posting states he had an axle break, not a driveshaft, don't have the Facebook listing I'm just going off of the picture. They quit putting Dana 35's in Jeeps back in the TJ (2006). All JK/JKU's now have Dana 44's in the rear and have had since 2007.

Addressing the axle issue, the Dana 44 does not use a C-clip like many of the Chevy and other Mopar products but uses an axle retainer similar to a Ford 9" rear axle. After looking closely at the picture my guess would be the left axle shaft broke at the wheel flange which caused the loss of control. I have seen these fail off-road due to heavy bouncing and or stress from getting wedged into the rocks but it's very rare. The damage could have happened off-road and then finally failed on the highway.

Another reason to upgrade axle shafts if you plan on heavily using your rig off-road. I don't see how it could have broken off while on the pavement other than hard impacts with potholes or curbs that again, could have damaged or cracked the axle shaft and then the failure occurred at speed.

Properly setup these Dana 44 rear axles are pretty stout and have a very low failure rate. Glad no one was killed or severely injured but it's hard to condemn an entire product or product line based on one ill reported incident.

If looking at a 1/2 ton Mopar or Chevy or Ford for that matter the owner will be experiencing a similar setup with all as they are semi-floating rear axles. The only way to really take this out of the equation is to step up to a 3/4 or 1-ton truck that has a full-floating axle OR install a full-float conversion to a D44.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

It reads to me like they snapped an axle while going down the road... no mention of being towed.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Where does it say the axle snapped while being towed?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
I see people overload these things and then beat hell out of them regularly..
My ears were burning John. ;-))
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #12

….on a similar note--while towing 2006 Wrangler, had the retaining pin on the differential cross/carrier shaft come loose....shaft slipped out of bracket and took out the differential gears and cracked the carrier frame.....didn't know it happen until we stopped for the night in Tucson....ended up missing jeeping at Q-site that year but ref the pic above, it could have been so much worse.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could just as easily happen to any other make
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
My ears were burning John. ;-))
I've heard a guy could spin the whole axle tube on Pickle if he isn't careful

RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote