RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

I am having a probiem with my heat pump, I ran it over the weekend and after it was running for a few hour it would click off and the gas heat would come on. With the switch still on electric heat.I went out to inspect the heat pump unit and saw some water dripping from the bottom like the ac was on. I switched the termostat back to gas after a few hours. When I switched back to the heat pump it seemed to work ok. The next night I had the same problem. We keep the termostat set at 70. I opened up the side panel to see if I have access to the pump/basement ac. I dont know how I can pull the unit out without damageing it. Thats if it can even be pulled out at all. Can someone help me out with this. When the heat pump is on the heat works great and then just shuts down and will not kick back on at all at this point. All fuses are ok , just seems like at some point it is over heating and shuts down till it cools down,for a few hours then seems to be ok again. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #2

I am having a probiem with my heat pump, I ran it over the weekend and after it was running for a few hour it would click off and the gas heat would come on. With the switch still on electric heat.I went out to inspect the heat pump unit and saw some water dripping from the bottom like the ac was on. I switched the termostat back to gas after a few hours. When I switched back to the heat pump it seemed to work ok. The next night I had the same problem. We keep the termostat set at 70. I opened up the side panel to see if I have access to the pump/basement ac. I dont know how I can pull the unit out without damageing it. Thats if it can even be pulled out at all. Can someone help me out with this. When the heat pump is on the heat works great and then just shuts down and will not kick back on at all at this point. All fuses are ok , just seems like at some point it is over heating and shuts down till it cools down,for a few hours then seems to be ok again. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am having a probiem with my heat pump, I ran it over the weekend and after it was running for a few hour it would click off and the gas heat would come on. With the switch still on electric heat.I went out to inspect the heat pump unit and saw some water dripping from the bottom like the ac was on. I switched the termostat back to gas after a few hours. When I switched back to the heat pump it seemed to work ok. The next night I had the same problem. We keep the termostat set at 70. I opened up the side panel to see if I have access to the pump/basement ac. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron, If the temperatures outside drop below 40 degrees the heat pump will stop working and switch to the gas furnace automatically. You did not specify what the outdoor temperature is but pherhaps this is your senario. If not pherhaps others have additional suggestions
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ron

Yes, the unit can be pulled after disconnecting some duct connections and wiring. But that would not tell you anything at all unless you are a trained service person with appropriate test equipment.

I agree with Harry ...it sounds like the unit is doing as it is designed to do and going to LP furnace operation. The temp at which it will do that varies on mine anywhere from about 34 to 40 degrees depending on the humidity. If you had water dripping out the bottom, you apparently did have higher humidity. I have noted water dripping from my unit when in heat pump mode of a few rare occasions when the humidity was high.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #5

I hope the following info from the Svc Manual comes out ok. I took it out of a PDF file.

Heat Pump Example To Bring On Gas Furnace As Backup Heat

Setpoint Indoor Temp. Operation
70 70+ No functions occur
\\\ 69 Heat Pump turns on (Primary heat source)
71 Heat Pump turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Heat Pump turns on
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Heat Pump not able to satisfy Thermostat) (First strike for backup heat counter)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Heat Pump turns on
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Heat Pump is again unable to satisfy Thermostat), (Backup heat counter reaches 3rd strike and Heat Pump is locked out for 2 hours), backup heat counter is reset if Heat
Pump is running for more than 20 minutes and does not call for backup heat
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Gas Furnace turns off (Becomes Primary heat source)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat Satisfied)
\\\ After 2 hour lockout
69 Heat Pump turns on (Resumes as Primary heat source)
65 Gas Furnace turns on, Heat Pump turns off (Becomes Primary heat source) (Heat Pump is locked out for another 2 hours)
71 Gas Furnace turns off (Thermostat Satisfied)
\\\ After 2 hour lockout
69 Heat Pump turns on (Resumes as Primary heat source)
71 Heat Pump turns off (Thermostat Satisfied) (Backup heat counter is
reset any time Heat Pump satisfies thermostat setpoint and does not need Gas Furnace)
The word "DIFF" will display on LCD when backup heat is operating and the heat pump is locked out. There is a 30 second delay between
Stage 1 and Stage 2. There is also a 3 minute anti-short cycle delay time for cooling.

The manual indicates heat pump will shut off between 25-40 deg F.

The water you see is frost melting off the outside coil. This is normal during heat pump operation & will depend of humidity.

There is a freeze thermister located on the outside coil, it opens at 18 deg +/- 3 deg, and closes at 38 deg +/- 3 deg, actual coil temp.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #6

Thank you all, the temps outside were about 35 degrees that weekend. Now I understsand why the heat pump shut down. Its a relief to know that it nothing more than the cold weather. Thanks again Ron

Celebration Florida