Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The instructions for leveling by HWH says to hit the air dump button first. I get no settling of the MH. Shouldn't it drop a couple of inches?

I can see the purpose of dumping the air, i.e., less distance for the jacks to travel. But I get no indication of any lowering of the MH. Is this normal?

James

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The instructions for leveling by HWH says to hit the air dump button first. I get no settling of the MH. Shouldn't it drop a couple of inches?

I can see the purpose of dumping the air, i.e., less distance for the jacks to travel. But I get no indication of any lowering of the MH. Is this normal?

James

Annapolis, MD
Old 06-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

James,

Yes, the MH should lower a few inches. It doesn't "drop" and, unless you're looking for it, it may be hard to perceive. Take a good look at the vertical spacing of tires in the wheelwell before you hit "dump" and after. If you don't see a change, something is wrong.

Although inconvenient, this is not a "trip-stopper". The bad problem is when the airbags are down and won't air up - can't be driven in that condition.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

James,

Just noticed you're new to the forum - Welcome!! There are a bunch of Journey (and Meridian) 36G owners on here that have probably seen about every problem.

If you're sure your unit is not lowering, probably the best place to start checking is at the HWH control box. Look under the lip of your top step and you'll see a single nut on a shaft. Remove that nut and you can lift the step and look straight down on the whole HWH package.

At the front of the package is the control box. There are several cables plugged into the back of it. Toward the top of the box is a brown 12 pin connector. This is the one that contains the dump function output. Make sure it's plugged in securely. The front of the box has a transparent cover and there are a couple of LEDs in there that indicate if the dump function has activated. If they are on, the problem is downstream from the control box to the dump valve. If not, look back toward the driver's control panel.

This and lots of other good info is in the back of your HWH manual.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tom for your prompt response.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Take a good look at the vertical spacing of tires in the wheelwell before you hit "dump" and after. If you don't see a change, something is wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have thought of that. I was just looking from the cockpit. I'll get out and look in the wheelwells before and after dumping tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Although inconvenient, this is not a "trip-stopper". The bad problem is when the airbags are down and won't air up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>\

What are the indications of "airbags are down and won't air up" and when exactly do they "air up."

I have some experience with boats and all of the things RVs have in common but the air system is entirely new to me.

James

Annapolis, MD
Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

James,

After you start the engine and get the air pressure up to 75# or so (when the low air buzzer stops), push the "store" button on the HWH panel. This stores the jacks, if they are down, and also adds air to the bags which brings you back up to normal ride height. Again, it's a very gentle movement, so get out and take a look. You should soon learn to recognize when the bags are up or down.

If you try to drive with the air bags down, at about 10 mph or so you'll swear you're riding a bucking bronco! This is because, if the air bags aren't aired up, you basically don't have a suspension system and it's rough ride.

I didn't know zilch about airbags either when I bought mine, but you only have to use them a couple of times to become very comfortable. Your dealer really should have told you all this...mine did and made me comfortable with them right away.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

James:

On my '02, as soon as you hit the 'ON' button on the leveling panel, the air begins to dump.
The drop in height is pretty noticable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a '04 Meridian 34h. I can hear mine when I dump. It makes a whistling sound.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesOne:

James </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To dump air:
1) Turn off engine. (it won't dump while running on mine.)
2) Put key in accessory position
3) Turn on the HWH panel
4) Open the drivers window (optional)
5) Hit the dump button
6) Listen to the woosh of air through the optionally open drivers window.

Do not drive with air bags not inflated.
I think I may have pinched a bag doing this -- not sure.

To inflate: Start Engine... build up pressure. First air goes to brakes holding tank, then to bags.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Walt,

I'll try it tomorrow with the option of opening the window and with my hearing aides in.

I have it back to the dealer on Friday to fix ALL of the things found on my pre acceptance inspection. I'll have them demonstrate the dumping.

I just bought it new last week. Oh, by the way, after spending six hours on the inspection, the only thing I could find wrong was my key remote will not unlock the door. The dealer already has the part and will install it Friday. I sure can't complain about Winnebago's or the dealer's quality control.

Thanks to another thread on this forum, I did find the extra long screw in the electrical compartment protruding near the muffler. The dealer was amazed that it was there and more amazed that I found it. They have put it on their PDI list to check their future sales.

We just returned from a two night shakedown cruise with everything working perfectly.

James

Annapolis, MD
Old 06-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
James,

I'm jealous. Your dealer must have an excellent PDI checklist/process. After our two day shakedown we came back with a list of 15 issues, a couple of them fairly serious/safety related. In the three months since we've had another half-dozen issues but are down to working the last known problem with no new ones showing up.

What model/floorplan coach do you have? You might want to think about updating your signature file if you don't want to get asked this a lot.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I didn't get over to my MH today to check the dump. Tomorrow for sure. My daughter has a horse show this weekend so we will camp out there with no connections for two days.

We plan to leave for California July 5. I have been trying to get a GPS installed. Looks like now I will be paying time and a half to get it installed on a Sunday. I gotta have a GPS, I get lost easy. I also am having a Roadmaster tow bar and base plate installed on my Acura.

Annapolis, MD
Old 06-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

What kind of GPS are you having installed. We got a Garmin 2620 and are extremely satisfied with it - no installation necessary (other than getting an antenna (which is just like the OnStar antenna) so we can move it well back from the window.

We actually needed the antenna for our Silhouette as it has a metallic windshield and without the antenna reception is too spotty.

I was amazed how taken my wife is with the Garmin. She thinks it is great for our MH and she loves the voice instructions.

I've often felt that a built in unit would be better (theft issues and all that) but then we would need three of them.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi Don,

I am trying to get a Kenwood KNADV4100 installed. It would replace the screen for the backup camera. The BU camera would plug into the GPS screen. The Kenwood has a gyro and connects to the vehicle's speed sensor wire which gives it a dead reckoning capability. It will show exactly where I am when going through tunnels for example. I really need that because I am always getting lost in tunnels.

One problem we have is finding the speed sensor wire. After multiple trips to the local Freightliner dealer and the GPS installer I have decided to get the GPS installed and then take the MH to the Freightliner dealer and have them tie into the speed sensor wire.

Of course, the Freightliner dealer is booked up until the middle of July when we will be in California. The GPS people said it will work without the speed sensor but it may tell me to turn right shortly after passing the intersection. In other words it will not be as accurate. Nothing is easy, is it?

Annapolis, MD
Old 06-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Ah, that is why I didn't go for the Garmin 2660 that has dead reckoning - a pain if one wants it installed in 3 vehicles. Do let us know how it works.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm jealous. Your dealer must have an excellent PDI checklist/process. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago has a PDI checklist for ALL dealers to go through before a customer picks up their new coach.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Tom,

Yes I know the PDI checklist is supplied by Winnebago. However, getting a dealer to show you the actual list (I've talked to 3) seems to be problematic. It makes me wonder what's really on there and whether it's Qualtiy Assurance oriented or "get by" oriented.

For example, when I first took delivery of my coach and went on the 2 day shakedown my oven would light but only heat to 275F even if left on broil for 60 minutes. Long story short they had to take the oven out and replace the gas line because it had kinked when the oven was installed at the factory.

The dealer told me checking the oven to light is on the Winnebago PDI checklist but checking for it to temp is not. Obviously it's not on the factory QA checklist either.

The dealer said added this to their PDI checklist list along with about a half-dozen other issues that "they had never seen before". I find really hard to believe some of the most obvious items like inspecting for paint damage from delivery, winshield rock hits/chips, tires overinflated, batteries with dead cells, no battery in the smoke detector, etc. were not already covered on the PDI checklist. If they are then I have to assume my dealer is a slacker when it comes to PDI. Which is sad because they've been really good about everything else after the sale.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have the dealer PDI checklist if you want it, email me. &lt;[email protected]&gt;
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote