Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Wink Journey 39K Aif Filter Gauge problem

In my 04 Journey 39K, I knew about the engine access cover under the bed and the one under the 2nd step in front of the closet. What I just discovered is that there is a 3rd access cover in the closet on the curb side. I pulled it up just to see what I had access to and basically it is the coolant reservoir and the rear bolts for the valve cover and alternator. What I did discover is that the air filter gauge hose runs toward the engine and down to the filter. The hose rests on a piece of sheet metal cowling. Mine seemed kind of tight, so I picked it up and turned it over and the edge of the cowling had worn almost thru to the center of the hose from vibration. It wasn't thru yet, so I sleeved it with a larger piece of hose. If it wore thru, I'm sure I would have gotten a false reading on the air filter gauge. This may be indicative on other Journey/Horizon models, worth checking.

I went to a Freighliner one day class in Sacramento in April and it was very informative. One thing I learned is that the plastic coolant reservoir has a tendency to get brittle over time and form some cracks in it. When it is to this point, it needs replacing. The part is very expensive, but it can be done by the owner if he is mechanical. Mine, being an 04 looked very good, but I was checking my oil this aft. and I noticed the seam between the top/bottom half of the tank toward the rear was beginning to seperate in three places. Not an issue yet, but I think I will replace it anyway. If that reservoir dumps, you are stranded until it gets replaced.

I'm just passing this on for future knowlege, we can't have too much!

Barry
04 Journey 39K
02 Dakota 4X
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Barry. That is good info.

I just learned of those access hatches last month when CAT did the valve lash. I had thought the hatch on driver side of closet was engine access but it turned out to be storage.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

How does the closet step engine access panel come off, thanks for help
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The CAT technician said it was held in place with screws hidden in the carpet. Some one else may have more details.

The access cover in the closet is accessed by removing the small trap door on the drivers side. That allows you to get a grip under the carpeted cover over the bottom of the rest of the closet. It can be pulled up to reveal a metal access plate.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

3 comments
  1. If you remove the driver's side closet hatch cover ... rotate it and stand it on end in the back of the "hole" then shirts will hang "full length" on the lower closet rod ...
  2. The passenger's side step cover is held down by two or three Phillips screws underneath the step ... they are hidden in the carpet but you can feel them by running your finger along the bottom ... the step fits in the space very snug but comes out easily after you get it tilted just right
  3. My coolant reservoir cracked in June 2010 ... if you carry a spare coolant you can travel quite a ways (I made it about 150 miles) by adding coolant when the low coolant buzzer goes off ... all truck stops carry coolant ... I bought an "extra" gallon at a Flying J ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

the step panel is a very very tight fit my previous journey had a small storage compartment on the drivers side once the panel is removed you can get your fingers under that edge to start the panel moving up you really have to pull up hard but it comes off all the way to the edge of the step giving you a total of three panels,,,also the closet access panel gives you a view straight down to the grease fitting on the top of the fan hub that needs a shot of grease mine was an 02 Cat you probably have the same fitting on an 04 not all mechanics know about this
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Take a look at this link to my blog. I have a picture of the step removed on my Journey 39K. Hope this helps!

R Sanity RV Adventures: More Preventive Maintenance

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Snipe, Thanks for the help, thats a good looking Journey you have, same color as ours, you don't see that color much, we really like it. I put the primer pump on thru the closet access, what a beach. Thanks again
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Hello All you 39K owners. I am looking at a 05 39K and was wondering what kind of mileage you are getting out of your C7 Cats? I have a 330 HP Cat in my current unit and get 8+ to 10. How does that compare?
Thanks for any input.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob,
Never saw 10, but average just at 8 or slightly under when towing. That is with our target speed of sixty.

We really like our 39k and hope you do as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

RLS
On my 39K I seem to get 7.5 to 9 but mostly around 7.8 or so traveling around 62 mph.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We get 7.5 to 8.5 towing a Chevy 1500 crew going 70 mph, only slightly better not towing, love our Journey too, Good Luck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We get 7.7 - 7.9 with or without towing. We live in California, so when towning, we drive about 60, I mean 55. But when not towing we drive about 70. We tow a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Golfingene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey