Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey entry step light question

I have a round amber marker light mounted under the coach near the entry step. Not sure if this was factory installed or installed by previous owner.

For others with Journey's, do you also have a similar light? If yes, does it come on only when the step is extended or is it tied to the porch light switch?

Mine has been working intermittently so I am in the process of diagnosing the issue.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't have a Journey but I suspect Winnebago wires them all pretty much the same.
On mine if the step is retracted the light comes on when you open the screen door and the step extends. As I recall it goes off after 30 seconds or so.

I think the idea is for it to give you some light when you are entering or leaving the coach so you can see when the step is all the way out.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You could retitle this thread "Kwikee step light question" as it's a Kwikee light.

I believe it works on mine when the switch is set to on (auto?), and the step is moving. I typically leave the step in the off setting, so the light never comes on.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I had asked a similar question about the step light on my Vectra.

Here is the thread and responses.... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/vect...ion-74786.html
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My step light was originally a small amber light. When the lamp burned out I replaced it with a small 3 LED lamp. This light only comes on when the step switch allows the step to retract. In this position when the door is opened the light comes on and stays on until I close the door. When the door is closed the light goes out immediately. There is no change in operation whether the porch light is on or off.
I have often considered another light under the step that would stay lighted if switched on. This would allow me to see the step better in darkness even if the porch light is on.

hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 2004 Journey's step light only lights up when the step is moving in or out. When parked, I always turn the step switch to the off position to keep the step extended. The light does not work if the step switch is off. There is no connection to the porch light switch.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think we all agree on how it works. It's now funny reading the manual. Not sure if it's the right manual for my step, but everything else is right. What I found:

NOTE: The understep light operation is as follows:
- The light is 'on' when the step is extended.
- The light is 'off' when the step is retracted.
- If the step lockout switch is 'on' and the step is extended by opening the door and the door is left open, the light will turn 'off' after five minutes.
- The understep light is not available on all step models.
- If the step lockout switch is 'off' and the door is open, the light stays on continuosly

The last statement HAS to be wrong. That would mean if your step was off, and the step is out, the light would be on. Day, night, stored, until the battery died.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks folks. I have now verified that mine does work as you have described. I would like to have a light that could be turned on at night to illuminate the step when it is extended, even when the door is closed (step switch 'off'). That will be another project I guess.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

out 99 chieftain has this light..I replaced how the light goes on by pressure pad sensor. So it only goes on if you step down. I figure if you are outside already your eyes have adjusted and should see the step.