RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetman & RC, thanks for your posts. RC, the lamp in that first link you provided, is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't know they even existed.

Did you do that mod on your Journey?

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #16

Before taking that thing out on the road, please please PLEASE park it in front of a blank wall on level ground and see what kind of a beam pattern those LED plug in elements create. They're typically terrible, they put out a ton of light but the majority of it ends up too close on the road or blinding every driver on the road, causing a real hazard to all those around you. It's so easy to sit in the drivers' seat, proud as pie of how bright your new headlights are, without any clue whatsoever that you're causing everything from discomfort to real danger around you.

Ever notice how so many older cars now have incredibly blinding headlights?

These LED bulbs are why.

Thanks.

cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Great thread, and project.

So does anyone know what lamps/housings might fit my 2002? They are the old round seal-beam headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdukes View Post
The Truck-Lite and JW Speaker units mentioned above are DOT legal, have appropriate beam patterns and cutoff, bright, and safe. Highly recommended.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Fleetman & RC, thanks for your posts. RC, the lamp in that first link you provided, is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't know they even existed.

Did you do that mod on your Journey?

Haven't done it yet. I have done research and believe those two to be the best available. As noted, there are many, many on the market that are Chinese knockoffs that are terrible. Many of those are not DOT approved. I tend to spend way too much time researching something like this. Gonna pull the trigger soon.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Grote 90941-5 7" LED Sealed Beam Headlights

I replaced the headlights in my 2001 Journey with these, they work great, are plug in replacements that only took 15 minutes total to install. They also look great on or off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price has come down $10.00 since I bought mine last year.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #20

led update

For anyone interested, attached is the headlight. aiming procedure for RV's.

After looking at various forums, I see many references to DOT approved.
The Dept. of Transportation does not approve lights. Attached is an article from Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108
"There is a great deal of confusion regarding lighting regulations in the industry. One common mistake is using the term "DOT approved." The United States Department of Transportation is not an approval agency and will not approve products. In the past, USDOT has sternly warned manufacturers that claim that their products are "DOT approved;" the correct language is "DOT compliant."

We adjusted per the attached article and it did take a little time to get them right. The new lights are now about the same as my stock pickup.
Huge difference from before.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How-to-Properly-Aim-RV-Headlights.pdf (464.5 KB, 31 views)
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
greenhorn1-

would you post a link to the LED low beam headlight bulbs in the picture in your initial post for this topic? Thanks.
audriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #22

low beam

audriver,
Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Con.../dp/B071XV8PZQ
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #23

Green horn so it's just the 2 10 millimeter bolts on the top of the light frame that you have shown and the lens comes out, was there enough wire to come out far enough to change bulbs, I can see the one closet to the middle but haven't ben able to locate the blind one yet.Thanks John PS thanks for the link.
cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #24

I have been wanting to do this also . As I have similar LED with fans in one of my cars .
You have rejuvenated my intrest in this project . I found and removed 1 , 10 mm bolt . It was 1 inch long not counting the head . That one was toward the middle of the coach . Still trying to find the other .
Its on an 04 Journey 34H
Would I be looking for a total of 2 or 3 ?

These newer bulbs you use are shorter on the back side from what I have read . And will not interefere with the metal bracket behind the headlight housing ? --- Am I Correct ?
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #25

One Down

Well I finally got the passenger side out ..
On my model an 05 Journey . It seems more complated .
I may be wrong but the way I see it . A third 10 MM and a phillips had to be removed to release the Adjuster . Which I will see if I can lubricate and get operational once again .

I can say the drivers side . At lease on my coach . Will be more of a problem , but doable . Wire looms will have to be moved . And space due to a cross member , will be be limited

So once again the forum will be costing me more $$$$ !

Its all good though as I always knew it could be done . And previous use of the LED is whats needed to properlly SEE

This job may not be for the weak of heart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_256.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	234390   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_257.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	234391  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_258.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	234392   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	234393  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25b.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	234394   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25c.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	234395  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25d.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	234396  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #26

Journey Cat, Looks like you have parts that were not on my coach. Apparently previous owner removed them or they were not part of 04 coaches
Attached is a pic of the bolt towards to outside of the rig. This pic is of driver side. Me sitting under coach looking forward. index finger on 10 mm bolt.

Your pics are a lot better than what I submitted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driver side looking forward.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	234402  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #27

I have wanted to do this for 2 year now It had me frustrated for ever . I wanted to enlarge the opening in the metal bracket to acconidate the larger fan styles that have been on the market . Ill try your suggestion this time around ,

I ordered new lenzes from 1Aauto . There discounted a few $ .
71 & free shipping for both R & L
Old 02-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #28

I think your 05 journey is the same as my 05 meridian,I to have been thinking about this for a couple of years, looks like a real bitch getting to the bolts and screw I can see the bolt from the generator bay and I can feel the screw now I know where to look for the others, please keep us posted on the led with fans, thank you for the pictures now the trick will be reinstalling them. Thank you John

cataska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, journey, light, upgrade