Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Journey windshield curtains, replacement options

DW and I agree the pleated windshield shades in our Journey have seen their better days. Winne wants about $300+ for replacements (3 pieces). We're about ready to order from Lichtsinn but ponder the following:

1. has anyone replaced these OEM pleated shades with the standard lined curtains like those sold at Camping World?

2. the lined curtains would seem to take up more room when gathered/stored. The pleated shades do fold up nicely and take up little room when stored.

3. it would seem there might be some insulating benefit from the lined curtains, therefore a bit warmer up front in cold weather.....is that a valid point?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have had both the pleated kind in a Newmar Mountainaire. They do get dirty quickly and were a pain with our cats. They in fact took up as much space folded back as the pleated drape.

The pleated ones in our Safari needed replacement (blood from the Repo Man from previous Owners) and we ordered a custom size from Camping World. I was actually surprised at the quality, they look very nice and drape back well. I prefer the drape to the pleat on the windshield.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We just replaced our front factory shades to a lined folding curtain purchased from camping world, "Custom Windshield Drapes". About $200.00. We just love them, especially the DW who opens and closes them. They are made to your specs. and when gathered are no more in the way that the OEM. We even got a color to match the decor.

Good luck,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysu47 View Post
We just replaced our front factory shades to a lined folding curtain purchased from camping world, "Custom Windshield Drapes". About $200.00. We just love them, especially the DW who opens and closes them. They are made to your specs. and when gathered are no more in the way that the OEM. We even got a color to match the decor.

Good luck,
Appreciate the feedback. We looked at the CW website last evening and wondered about the quality of the custom drapes. The OEM pleated light weight shades are more than $300 so $200 for heavier replacements is a good deal. We will check that out.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have the same model of Journey and replaced the shades with the off the shelf drapes that CW sells. Had a seamstress modify to fit the coach and they work great. I do not think they take that much more room in storage mode, but they are alot easier to open and close. and yes, you get additional insulation and privacy.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One of the things I like best about the Winnie are the front curtains.
That being said; years ago I replaced front shades at a price much less than CW. I had Sears make custom curtains for me. I gave them the measurements needed and selected the material and lining. They had almost the identical color I wanted as was as close to the original as one could get.
The cost was much less than CW.
It's another option to check out.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If better insulation is what you are after, add this:

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

That looks toasty for colder weather rv'ing

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote