Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

King size bed dilemma

The motorhome I would like has a king size bed. Where would I put all my goodies that normally are on my night stand, such as water, remote, Rx, etc. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Need more info.
My king sized bed has night stands on each side. They not as large as standalone night stands. But, they'll easily accommodate a remote, a book, a drink, and a little snack.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Looking at sightseer 33c or Itasca sunova 33c. The pics look as if the mattress goes to the wall and is referred to as a "sidewall" king.
ftum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you go see one in person before you get all excited about the king bed. In addition to no place to set things Try to walk around the bed to see if the difficulty of getting in and out of it and how hard it is going to be to make the bed and change the sheets. That's one reason we looked at the Vista 36Y.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a Sightseer 33C on order. It should go to transportation tomorrow and arrive at my dealer next week.

You are correct. We have looked at a lot of 33C's prior to placing our order and the king bed option does not have night stands. However, the queen bed does have night stands.

If you are patient and can wait three months or so you can order a motor home from a local dealer with the exact options you want. You can negotiate a price equal to the coaches on their lot excluding the coaches that have been on their lot for a long time. It doesn't cost a dealer any more to place an order for you than it costs them to order a coach to sit on their lot. A dealer will order options that they think will help sell a coach. Foe example smaller people can sleep in a king bed but a queen bed for a large person is uncomfortable. Hence a dealer is more likely to order a king bed for a coach on their lot.

The same is true for the washer and dryer. Most dealers order the washer and dryer option. We like the pantry in place of a washer and dryer.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am using velcro to attatch remote for tv and bed to wall in my 35g. The 35g does have a very small shelf in between bed and wall. On the back wall there is enough room to install a small flip up table and or magazine rack between the slide out and back wall, roughly about 4".
See if you can find one at a dealer and take a close look see.
Rvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

In our 5th wheel wife uses the overhead cabinet for all that stuff except for the drink.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine had the King Bed. The dealers order them that way as they think that is what folks want but.... So I got out the saws and cut it down to queen size then made my own night stands. In the process we found an area at the head of the bed that was closed off and empty. It has since been turned into usable storage. We have to slide the mattress down to get into it so we put stuff there that doesn't need to be accessed often.

Also being more or less hidden it would provide a bit of security for what ever is stored there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5609-1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	108941  
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

king to queen

Hello, how did you cut it? Is the platform solid? Thanks, Sylvia
sylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

king bed

My Voyage 35L with king bed has nightstands they are smaller than the queen version but still adequate.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I attached white wire basket containers from wally world to the wall on both sides of the bed.
they work well even when we are under way.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Wire baskets

We have a 33C and that is what we did in lieu of the missing nightstands. I believe we got our baskets from Walmart but in any case they hang from the open shelf installed on each side of the kingsize bed our 2016 Itasca 33C. I put zip ties on to make sure they don't move or fall.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylrob View Post
Hello, how did you cut it? Is the platform solid? Thanks, Sylvia
A bit late but. You have to be careful as some of the platform is hollow so once you cut it you have to install filler on the edges between the top and bottom plys.

But I used a portable circular saw and plenty of guides to keep things square.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

king to queen

Thanks, I'll need the good luck! Sylrob
sylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We stuck some wood boxes from bed bath and beyond on the wall with 3m tape. They worked well. When we got new we went back to Queen for the extra room. Besides it is warmer at night when cool. Two dogs and wife we heat up fast.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

In our 2012 33C, I used some 1/8" acrylic from an old window. I cut a piece 16x16. I heated and bent it into L shape with one side about 4.5". The piece sides beside the mattress and wall, with the short side on top of the mattress to act as a shelf. Works well for me to put a drink, remote, and reading glasses. When we make the bed, it removes easily and being clear, it's hardly noticeable. We have a memory form mattress so things don't bounce around whe getting in and out of bed.
ht4cae is offline   Reply With Quote