RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #1

Knocking sound in full slide out wall

I have a 2020 Vista 31BE. While driving (slide in) there is an annoying sound behind the driver’s seat wall that sounds like a mallet hitting wood. At first I thought it was my window shade rocking. Then, I suspected the buckle that holds up the overhead bed was swinging. I have had someone else drive while I got back there to find the source. I even took the bench seat out since there are seat belts hanging on the floor. They were secure. The wall mounted TV is secure. Has anyone else heard anything similar? Murphy’s Law says that I could drive all day with a technician onboard and it won’ do it.

damonflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Any chance it's your slide awning? I had mine rolling out and snapping back in while driving in a serious side wind. It got so bad it broke the "anti unfurl" bracket.
I have since made a new bracket out of stainless steel. Much stronger than the original aluminum one.
It could also be your window awning if you have one on that side.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 AM   #3

OK I have a vista 29ve with a full slide that had the same problem with that sound and it took my dealer six months to figure it out and they found out what it was by accident. So I will try to explain what they did. it was air getting trapped in the slide out so every time you went over a bump it made the thumping sound. So what the did was cut a couple of notches out of the swiper seal to let the air out. And it solved the problem. The tech accidentally pushed the seal with his hand when they were driving over some speed bumps trying to solve the issue. Now the sound is gone and its a pleasure to drive. I would bet my life on it being the problem. They pretty much took my RV apart before finding it and they also added two more brackets on the slide out topper thinking it was bouncing on the centre support. Good Luck Let me no how it goes.
MinnieSandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out