Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Went camping this weekend and had a problem with my jacks. In the past they have worked flawlessly. This time, the front right of the RV was the lowest. I generally don't like to have my front wheels in the air so I will lift them slightly higher then level and put wood under the wheels, hit all up, then level again. When I was in the process of raising the jacks just a little more to be able to get wood under the wheel, I heard a clunk and the front right lowered. I got out to check and all seemed fine. I raised all the jacks up and as the front right was just about all the way up, I heard the noise again.
I found a beter (more level) site and enjoyed the weekend. When I got home, I raised the front. Just as the front wheels were barely touching the ground, the front right sagged again. I cycled the front, rear, and side to side, up and down several times. This time, everything worked fine. Each time I tested the front, I never lifted the front wheels off the ground because I was VERY afraid the if I went any higher, The front right would drop and leave just the front left down and that would rack the frame and maybe cause other problems.
I don't think that it is a jack problem, or control problem. I am thinking that it might be a bad/sticky solenoid at the pump for that jack.
The question is, has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody else have a suggestion as to what it was?
Any input would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #2

Went camping this weekend and had a problem with my jacks. In the past they have worked flawlessly. This time, the front right of the RV was the lowest. I generally don't like to have my front wheels in the air so I will lift them slightly higher then level and put wood under the wheels, hit all up, then level again. When I was in the process of raising the jacks just a little more to be able to get wood under the wheel, I heard a clunk and the front right lowered. I got out to check and all seemed fine. I raised all the jacks up and as the front right was just about all the way up, I heard the noise again.
I found a beter (more level) site and enjoyed the weekend. When I got home, I raised the front. Just as the front wheels were barely touching the ground, the front right sagged again. I cycled the front, rear, and side to side, up and down several times. This time, everything worked fine. Each time I tested the front, I never lifted the front wheels off the ground because I was VERY afraid the if I went any higher, The front right would drop and leave just the front left down and that would rack the frame and maybe cause other problems.
I don't think that it is a jack problem, or control problem. I am thinking that it might be a bad/sticky solenoid at the pump for that jack.
The question is, has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody else have a suggestion as to what it was?
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #3

Rick, If you have a HWH leveling system call their tech line. HWH has a very good tech line. Also I would hesitate to jack the coach up until the wheel is off the ground. If the site is un level side to side the front of the coach will slide down hill causing you to spend a lot of money for new jacks. It is much better to drive on your blocks. You should never jack your back wheels off the ground as this is where your parking brakes are,same result bent jacks when the coach moves. Sermon over.
dfdretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #4

dfdretired,
No sermon. I understand where you are coming from. I am not a big fan of pull through sites. They are too wide open. I go camping to enjoy the outdoors. With that comes uneven sites. I never raise the rear high enough to have the wheels off the ground. Once, I had the front on 4 2X's just to keep it level. If I drove up on them, I would have needed 20 2X's (10 per side). The Sightseer has a low front end and with it's IFS, the front wheels are almost always off the ground. I have lifted many times and never had the jack problem I recently experienced. Not sure if it was caused by air in the system, bad solenoid valve for that jack, etc.
Hope someone else had a similar problem so I know what the fix is.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #5

Well...I found the problem !!!
I was under the front end to check the pressure in the spring airbags and noticed that something wasn't quite right. Between the front leveling jacks is a cross member. When I looked at it from the front, it was WAY unlevel (Jacks were not down). Upon further inspection, the jack had come loose. There is a C channel that is welded to the chassis frame rail and the jack is bolted to the C chanel. The C chanel came loose. It appears that the C chanel was only tack welded to the frame and they never came back and ran a bead of weld along the C chanel. I looked at the other jacks and they are all properly welded. I am supprised the tack weld held for that long. I had a friend climb under this morning and weld it the right way.