Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #1

First post and first question. Hope I'm going about posting this properly. I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. My step well cover (Made by Kwikee) quit advancing and retracting due to the cables beneath the step well cover winding off the spools. When in Florida over the winter, I found a person who worked on rewinding the cables for about two or three hours. The step well worked for awhile, and then the cables came off the spools again. With this second incident, I tried to rewind the cables according to the Kwikee step well cover operating instructions. Alas, to no avail; I did not succeed I resolving this problem. The space and accessibility to the cable and spools is ridiculously restricted and tight. Even a person of small physique will find it highly frustrating rewind the cables. Not having the cover in working condition presents a dangerous situation. I am worried about grandkids falling into the step well and also my wife or myself sustaining an injury. I thought I had resolved the problem temporarily by extending the well cover by hand and keeping it in place by wedging a 19" oak stick approximately 1" x 1" between one portion of the well cover and the framing for the step. Worked for awhile until I knocked the piece of wood out of alignment, and the step well cover slid back, causing me to lose my balance and almost land on my duff. Any suggestions concerning a resolution of this problem will be greatly appreciated. The Winnebago dealerships that I've talked with do not seem to have much if any experience in making this type of repair. I do not like the Kwikee design and engineering of this product. I'm just not sure what options are open to me short of finding someone who has been more successful than the first guy I had work on this or myself. Kwikee customer service was somewhat sympathetic but did not aggressively help me get this resolved. I imagine attempting to replace or find a different brand of step well cover for this unit would be inordinately expensive. Thanks for any and all advice.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

First post and first question. Hope I'm going about posting this properly. I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. My step well cover (Made by Kwikee) quit advancing and retracting due to the cables beneath the step well cover winding off the spools. When in Florida over the winter, I found a person who worked on rewinding the cables for about two or three hours. The step well worked for awhile, and then the cables came off the spools again. With this second incident, I tried to rewind the cables according to the Kwikee step well cover operating instructions. Alas, to no avail; I did not succeed I resolving this problem. The space and accessibility to the cable and spools is ridiculously restricted and tight. Even a person of small physique will find it highly frustrating rewind the cables. Not having the cover in working condition presents a dangerous situation. I am worried about grandkids falling into the step well and also my wife or myself sustaining an injury. I thought I had resolved the problem temporarily by extending the well cover by hand and keeping it in place by wedging a 19" oak stick approximately 1" x 1" between one portion of the well cover and the framing for the step. Worked for awhile until I knocked the piece of wood out of alignment, and the step well cover slid back, causing me to lose my balance and almost land on my duff. Any suggestions concerning a resolution of this problem will be greatly appreciated. The Winnebago dealerships that I've talked with do not seem to have much if any experience in making this type of repair. I do not like the Kwikee design and engineering of this product. I'm just not sure what options are open to me short of finding someone who has been more successful than the first guy I had work on this or myself. Kwikee customer service was somewhat sympathetic but did not aggressively help me get this resolved. I imagine attempting to replace or find a different brand of step well cover for this unit would be inordinately expensive. Thanks for any and all advice.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #3

I too have had the cable problem. The dealership repaired mine the first time using new cables as I had wrapped them around and kinked them. Not a good thing to do. I was at fault with this as my wife and I both hit the out button at the same time, this blew the fuse and not knowing that I pulled the cable release so we could exit the coach. I then hit the buttons for the cover, this wound the cables and ruined them. The dealer had to order cables from the factory and all worked well for three years.
The second and last time they just quit on their own. I then had a local RV shop repair them. He made up his own cables and all is well. How long they will last is yet to be seen. He did a good job and the cost was less than the dealership.
I aggree, not the best engineering.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #4

2010 Winnebago Journey Express 39N step well cover repair

Same problem….my supplemental manual has instructions how to rewind and re-tension the cables. Problem was caused by operating the step control after the emergency retraction latch had been pulled. (By someone who didn’t know the rig). If that latch is pulled, then tension on the cables gets released. Subsequently operation of the motor sends the cables in every direction but the right one!

I was able to salvage my cables, but making new ones only involves buying enough length of cable, and using the proper sized crimps at the end (to fit the holes in the spools). The repair was relatively straightforward. It took about 2 hours including the learning curve of how to manage tension while rewinding the spools in the right direction (!!!). I had to re-do the tensioning 3 times after reassembly….but finally got good tension. Operated the step 10 times without fail. I can post the instruction set if anyone needs it.
Frankieswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #5

I’m sure this was a $500 repair by the dealer…or much more as they probably would want to install a whole new cover!
Frankieswi is offline   Reply With Quote