Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I can't find the "ideal" solution that is aesthetically appealing. My bedroom sliding door inside our 35U slides back and forth quite a bit while we travel. I have to put a pillow in between the opening to prevent the sliding.

I'm looking for some solutions you may have come up with to prevent this from happening. The one obvious solution I thought of was using Velcro straps but it doesn't sound too appealing. I've visited several hardware stores but couldn't find that "perfect" latch that will keep it in place. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I can't find the "ideal" solution that is aesthetically appealing. My bedroom sliding door inside our 35U slides back and forth quite a bit while we travel. I have to put a pillow in between the opening to prevent the sliding.

I'm looking for some solutions you may have come up with to prevent this from happening. The one obvious solution I thought of was using Velcro straps but it doesn't sound too appealing. I've visited several hardware stores but couldn't find that "perfect" latch that will keep it in place. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ours came with a vinyl strap to hold the door in open position. Velcro strap should work just as well.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ours has a strap also. When both doors are all the way to the left(behind the bathroom wall) there should be a strap with snaps on it handing on the wall. Then there is a buttom on the outside door that the strap goes onto.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Our sliding door also had a plastic strap which broke in no time. I was at Utah Tent and Awning one day getting a boat cover. They said: "No problem" and make me a new one for about $3.00 that was durable, looks good and doesn't break.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Sangone, I had the exact problem as you; doors restrained but shuffling back & forth behind the strap.
I cut out two pieces of medium density foam, both about 1-1/2" thick by 3" x 3". Then glued them to gether with contact cement (like Pliobond) making a foam cube about 3" x 3" x 3". Then I used the same glue and stuck the foam up on the coach wall, just under the door slide rail. Now the foam holds the doors in 'tension' and they don't bump going down the highway.
(At first I thought "this'll look ugly", but I used some charcoal colored foam and being located up by the top corner of the doors, you really have to look to find it).
Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I measured and cut a nice matching piece of 2X2 wood. I put a rubber bumper on each end. I wedge the wood up across the top of the door opening between the door and the slide-out. Works and looks great. I did the same for the sliding mirror doors except those are wedged on the bottom. No banging or rattles. The straps are worthless.

RZ
RTZ6885 is offline   Reply With Quote