Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LCI leveling pump motor problems

Hello all, need some advice. I am in Bar Harbor and my jacks wont go down, tried all of the fixes listed in the manual, resetting the panel etc. Nothing. Called LCI tech and after using a voltage meter on a few of the systems, tech advised motor was bad. Used with no problem this morning when I left previous campground except when it retracted it seemed to continue to try to retract making a loud noise. Lippert sells the motor for $770 plus. I know I can replace the motor myself but is there a bigger probem? Should the motor cutoff be adjusted? Can it be adjusted? Going to have the motor shipped to my next stop or should I get a professional to inspect system?
Thanks all!
bdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer View Post
Lippert sells the motor for $770 plus
When you need a part they've got you over a barrel but that sounds like highway robbery.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

I'm always wary of over-the-phone diagnostics. since the jacks are up there's no crisis...we've all camped/parked for years with no jacks. I'd hold off ordering the motor and have a qualified tech look at it first.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
When you need a part they've got you over a barrel but that sounds like highway robbery.
Right! Checked on Amazon and some other sites and lowest price was mid 700's
Old 09-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
I'm always wary of over-the-phone diagnostics. since the jacks are up there's no crisis...we've all camped/parked for years with no jacks. I'd hold off ordering the motor and have a qualified tech look at it first.
It was an LCI tech and he did not seem surprised like it was a common problem. Trying to find that out here. Anyone else had a pump motor fail on a leveling system??
Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A 2014 should not need a motor so soon huh,? I'd remove it and bring it to a good electrical shop it can probably be rebuilt. We are heading to Bar Harbor Saturday don't eat all the lobsters!
Coos Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

I just replaced mine, Amazon Prime, $225

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if this will work on yours. We fulltime, so gets a lot of use.

I plan on having the old one looked at by a starter/generator shop in the future.

I troubleshot mine by checking for voltage on the battery cable going to solenoid, output of solenoid when wife pushed the front jack button, and the where cable went to motor. I had voltage at all points but no motor movement.

Best of luck.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There have been a number of discussions on this forum about Lippert pump seal leaks leading to motor failure.

I experienced that a couple of years ago. I had a couple of slideout toppers replaced at a RV service facility. The job was finished just before closing time and since we were not going to be returning to that service facility for some time, I wanted to check that the job was properly completed. In the parking lot, I ran out the slides (hydraulically actuated) and climbed a ladder for inspection. When I tried to retract the slides, the motor failed, leaving the slides extended (I even had the jacks down).

The short version was that I spent a week waiting for the pump motor to arrive and be installed. It was ordered from Lippert and was about $700 (+ shipping). Fortunately, I did have an extended warranty that covered much of the expense.

When I got home, I took the motor to a rebuild place. They wouldn't touch it and suggested that it was well beyond rebuild.

Here's a link to some of the discussions on this forum: https://www.google.com/search?q=lci+...earch=irv2.com

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
I just replaced mine, Amazon Prime, $225

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if this will work on yours. We fulltime, so gets a lot of use.
I replaced the motor on our Damon last year with a similar motor via Amazon for about the same $$$. Made in China, but looks quality and has worked perfectly

Get the numbers off yours, bdozer...a replacement motor is likely to be found.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #10

some of LCI's parts are also sold under the Stromberg Carlson name, same as the old steroeo co, , but they will not tell you that. try some on-lineaftermarket sources
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem where the motor died. I was retracting the jacks and heard the motor straining and it stopped before I could get to turn it off. Long story about trying to get the jacks up, not for this post LOL. The motor died because the hydraulic valve that controls the flow for extend or retract was stuck in the middle and dead heading the pump which caused the motor to burn out. I pulled the motor and took it apart, turned out the plastic brush holder was melted. I took the brush assembly to a starter/alternator repair shop and they had the correct parts in stock. I think it was about $30-40 for the new brush holder and brushes. After much searching on line, I found that PJ Trailer parts in Texas had the hydraulic valve I needed, think that was about $80. Best of luck with your repair!
desertvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #12

Check Western Motors for a replacement motor built in the USA!
$375 plus shipping!
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #13

LPI replacement parts

This response is late, but maybe it will help in the future. I had a problem with something a few years ago and learned that Lippert sells parts for the aftermarket under the Stromberg Carlson name. Same stuff, much lower price.
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #14

LCI jack leveling system motor!
I purchased and replaced the LCI motor with the Western Motors made in theUSA in Rockford, ILL. I bring this up again because it worked perfectly except it should be noted the flange the screws go through is just a tad thinner so plan on one washer for each screw to make up the difference. My 2014 Sunstar is like new again.
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, leveling, problems