Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurette View Post
In my opinion, M4 is the way to go. I replaced all of mine with M4 LEDs and couldn't be happier.
X2 with M4. Not all LEDs are equal. These folks are not the cheapest on the block but they sell an excellent product and great customer service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced 24 halogen bulbs (G4 base), a hand full of the reading light bulbs (elevator bulbs), a couple of outside light fixture bulbs and the compartment light bulbs in our coach. The PO had already installed LED bulbs in the vanity fixture. All of the bulbs were purchased off of eBay. I learned a couple of things in the process: make sure the bulbs are rated for 12-24V, if not they will quickly start flickering and quit. Apparently the drivers for LED chips on 12v bulbs cannot handle anything greater than 12V like the 13+ V in an RV. If a bulb doesn't work it is plugged in backwards - flip it 180 and it will work (they are diodes). A side note: the surface mount LED chips for almost every bulb you buy will have been manufactured in China (not many US semi-conductor manufacturers want to bother with LED's). The bulbs may be assembled in other countries (maybe even USA), but LED chips likely come from China. Rather than pay the middle man I decided to just go with the Chinese suppliers on eBay ( I know that's un-American but it is what it is). Many of the bulbs are now over 2 years old and look great.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
I replaced 24 halogen bulbs (G4 base), a hand full of the reading light bulbs (elevator bulbs), a couple of outside light fixture bulbs and the compartment light bulbs in our coach. The PO had already installed LED bulbs in the vanity fixture. All of the bulbs were purchased off of eBay. I learned a couple of things in the process: make sure the bulbs are rated for 12-24V, if not they will quickly start flickering and quit. Apparently the drivers for LED chips on 12v bulbs cannot handle anything greater than 12V like the 13+ V in an RV. If a bulb doesn't work it is plugged in backwards - flip it 180 and it will work (they are diodes). A side note: the surface mount LED chips for almost every bulb you buy will have been manufactured in China (not many US semi-conductor manufacturers want to bother with LED's). The bulbs may be assembled in other countries (maybe even USA), but LED chips likely come from China. Rather than pay the middle man I decided to just go with the Chinese suppliers on eBay ( I know that's un-American but it is what it is). Many of the bulbs are now over 2 years old and look great.
Good advice here....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Good advice here....
The product from M4 are not polarity sensitive. They work either way. Also, they fit the halogen fixtures without any mods or problems which a lot of them do not.
Also, if you have any issues, like ordering the wrong one, or have one fail, they stand behind it.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #19

Suggestion... I would encourage you to view a helpful video on YouTube/RV Geeks and M4... Very informative
Biggp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #20

We bought from M-4. Good company.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #21

I bought from Amazon and ran into problems with TV interference. Basically cheap LED bulbs are cheap for a reason. If they are not FCC certified beware they will likely interfere with Broadcast TV. I found the interference is usually when watching a weak (distant) channel, Turn off LEDs and the channel will come right in. I'm in process of replacing the cheap bulbs with certified ones.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
TbearKline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I have noticed some interference with weaker signals. For us it seems to be caused only by the "lounge" lights (closest to the antenna??). So if there is a problem there are other lights or maybe a good time to turn off the idiot box. It hasn't been enough of a bother to consider buying more bulbs, I will try moving them around first.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Typically, RFI interference comes from LEDs with the built in current limiting circuitry. The really cheap ones don't have that circuitry and don't interfere.

I just recently converted my second motorhome to all LED. First one I did about 3-4 years ago, using all cheap Amazon/eBay LEDs; over 25 bulbs averaging about $3 each. When I sold the RV last year, not a single one had failed nor degraded. My current RV got pretty much the same treatment; over 35 bulbs, all from Amazon/eBay, averaged less than $3 each.

Keep in mind, I didn't just purchase the cheapest ones I could find. I searched, I researched, I read reviews...then I bought a couple of each to try...then bought the ones I liked. With the sheer number of bulbs/fixtures in an RV, I have no desire to pay $15 for bulbs that I can get for $3. TEHO.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, led, replace, replacement