Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Levelers

Because of the slight slope of my driveway, my right rear wheels (dual) come off the ground by 4 or 5 inches when I use the Auto Level feature. Will this damage any thing to leave it in that position? i.e.: axle? All the other wheels are on the ground.
Thanks for any help.
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Never have a rear wheel off the ground unless all others are securely chocked. The parking brake is on the drive shaft and the rig can roll with it applied.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

+1. Plus the only thing keeping you from rolling is the jacks, which means you are putting some torque on them. Could end up with some expensive jack repairs/replacements...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This may help..... I use the manual mode 99% of the time because I can keep the amount of lift to minimum and control it better than the auto program. You might want to try it and see if it will work for you.
I agree with previous poster, Keep the rears on the ground.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You are home, perhaps you have some boards to drive up on before you use the levelers. Boards under both tires.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
You are home, perhaps you have some boards to drive up on before you use the levelers. Boards under both tires.
By far, the best answer yet. If you have an un-level condition in your driveway or, parking spot for your RV, the wisest thing is to "ramp" up on some lumber so that, you primarily level the coach, using the TIRES AND WHEELS, ALL SIX OF THEM. Then, you utilize the jacks for "fine tuning".

That way, the majority of the weight is still on the tires and wheels, you've not taken away the stability and security of the factory parking brakes. If you have to, place a couple of wooden blocks under the jacks too so, they don't have to travel so far and, will still do their job.

IN the end, you get a very stable coach, nothing is over stressed, your doors etc. are not tweaked and open and close normally, you can work in it with great confidence, and much more. Plus, if you build them correctly, you can take them with you on your trips to use at un-level campsites. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with the drive. I made a block out of 2x12s 2 thick todrive up on. I pull in and back up onto the stand. It keeps my wheels down.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

in extreme conditions, use the manual mode of leveling. the auto level levels sides first, which can lift the rear wheel in extreme conditions. as said earlier, sometimes blocks are best to use when needed.
i carry several 2x12 about 2 foot long. reinforced with 3/8 usb glued with gorilla glue. stacked together, you can get thru some unpleasant situations without damage. they even make a good extra step.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Had a similar situation last week when we visited a Wisconsin state park. Fortunately we carry a set of plywood pads to put under the levelers and a couple sets of these if we need to put something under the wheels.

RV Leveling Blocks, 10 pack - North Canton Plastics RKCW819010 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

The first time we tried to level both the front and rear tires on the drivers side were off the ground. We marked the spot where the blocks should go. Then lowered the motorhome and drove it forward a few feet. We placed the blocks in a stair formation where each of the tires would eventually end up. Don't forget to support both the rear tires.

Then we backed the motorhome up the stacks to the final location, and set a plywood pad under each jack. The final step was to push the auto Level button. A minute later we were nice and level with no wheels off the ground.

The blocks are sturdy enough to hold our 2013 Adventurer without any problems. They're rated to support 30,000 lbs. per set. The only caveat is to remove any large debris from under the pad before driving on it. They will crack if you don't have a fairly smooth surface under them.

We always use pads under the jacks when parking on an unpaved surface. It keeps the jacks from sinking into the ground, and gives them a little more range for leveling.

Tags
levelers