Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Anyone having problems with the hanging Winnebago full width rock guard when leveling the coach/dumping air?

First couple of times I leveled the coach I found the guard bound up and being "squashed" by the MH frame because it didn't lay down. Actually started cutting through the inside metal reinforcements at the hanger holes. I've started manually proping it back with a 4x4 block before leveling the coach.

No big deal but it seems like there's a flaw in the design here if the guard has the potential of being damaged when the coach is leveled/lowered.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Anyone having problems with the hanging Winnebago full width rock guard when leveling the coach/dumping air?

First couple of times I leveled the coach I found the guard bound up and being "squashed" by the MH frame because it didn't lay down. Actually started cutting through the inside metal reinforcements at the hanger holes. I've started manually proping it back with a 4x4 block before leveling the coach.

No big deal but it seems like there's a flaw in the design here if the guard has the potential of being damaged when the coach is leveled/lowered.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've noticed numerous new motorhomes at RV displays- several different brands - that have the gravel guard wrinkled/crumpled.

My Meridian has one, and I keep an eye on surrounding areas before dumping air. So far have been lucky, I guess.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had this same problem and was told to hit the Rabbit Buttom as soon as the air started to dump. This stopped the lowering process and allowed me to lower the leveling jacks maintaining the same heigth without damaging the guard. Do the same when you store the jacks, push the rabbit buttom and it will stop the coach from lowering and allows the air compressor to fill the system quicker.

2timer
Old 06-22-2005, 03:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

2timer,

I don't know what you mean by "Rabbit Buttom" or button or whatever?

On occasion on a fairly level pad I've extended the jacks first to touching but not raising, then dumped air and leveled by lowering whichever side/end was high.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago replaced mine twice because the holes were sliced clean through. After the second replacement, I could see this would be an ongoing problem. I fabricated new hangers so they would not slice through the holes. Of course I still have the problem of the rock guard getting "squashed". I just kick the bottom as the mh lowers to prevent this.

Joe Fischer
2004 Itasca Meridian 34H
Old 06-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yes, I can see the damage that indicates under the right circumstances it would slice through the metal reinforcement in the guard. The problem is the angle bracket the U-shaped hanger points down and effectively becomes a knife under the weight of the coach.

The engineer in me is formulating a solution to try out.

I see that the angle bracket is just bolted to the bottom of the frame. It looks like it could be reversed to sit on top and with holes drilled use some SS eyebolts, quick link, etc. to re-hang it at the right height (4 inches at the bottom at normal ride height). Maybe even use the outer holes to reduce side-to-side swing.

If successful I'll post the results and maybe a picture.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We had the same problem soon after we took delivery. The dealer ordered a new unit but it was "lost" in shipment so they put a steel bar along the top of ours and bolted the mud guard to the bar. They had drilled holes in the bar to have the U-shaped hangers fit through.

We left for Florida right after we picked up the coach (a week later than plannced - they had the coach for 3 weeks - but didn't order a new MG until they had it for 2 weeks). A month later the new MG arrived at the dealer. On May 11 we took our MH in for about 8 items as the warranty was about to expire - they asked if we wanted the new MG put on. We said NO. The steel bar has made it much stronger and there is no reason to put on a new one that will tear open soon. (oh, they still have our MH - 45 days down and my guess is the amount of work involved to date has been less than 2 days - the floor tiles have now come in - and they will "see" when they can fit it in to their schedule).

When we dump the air my wife is at the back of the MH with a rake and she holds the MG out so it does not get squashed as the MH lowers.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago knows there is a problem with the mud guard and has been replacing them. The new one on the Horizon's have reinforcing braces around the mounting holes. After they replace my mud guard (it did not have reinforcements) I reinforced it myself in a similar fashion

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote