Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Light Emiting Diodes

Any Winnebago owners replaced the OEM light bulbs with LEDs and how easy was it and was it worth it in terms of increased brightness and energy efficiency? We're new members and excited about tapping into the expertise in this forum. Thanks in advance.

Denny
dmroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #2

Denny,
You'll receive a multitude of answers on this subject. LEDs are the way of the future. Auto manufacturers are using them more and more on a daily basis. Many of us have changed many, if not all of the interior and exterior light bulbs on and in our rigs. That is with the exception of the head lights. LEDs in headlight application is not too advanced just yet but, just about all the other lights are target.

Now, LEDs come in a variety of lumen's, brightness, and styles and shapes. The reason(s) for changing to them is primarily a matter of choice. The average incandescent light bulb puts out heat. The average LED puts out very little, if any, heat. The average incandescent, halogen and other bulbs use a specified amount of electricity. The same, or almost the same, size for size, type for type, color for color, LED consumes considerably less electricity in the same amount of time.

I for one, have changed almost all of our interior lights and, all of the compartment lights in our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD. There are many sources for LEDs out there and you'll get lots of help from the boys here on where they purchased theirs. I have used one site exclusively in my purchase. It's called:
www.superbrightleds.com

It's a very comprehensive site with every type, size, style and color range of LED bulb there is. And, it's a very informative site too as to application and costs. While not the most inexpensive place to purchase them, they've been great to deal with and always have had what I've ordered, in stock. Most of my orders have been delivered in 2-3 days. So, there's some info on your request. I have a fair amount of money invested in the change over and, it will take me a while to recoup the investment.

But, I, along with many others here, can now basically use as many lights as we like and worry way less about the over use of battery power. And, in a prime example, the ceiling "puck" lights in our kitchen and living room area used to be Halogen, 10 watt, G-4 based bulbs and put out some serious heat. So hot that within only a few seconds, you could not touch them without damage to your skin.

I've installed "wafer" LEDs there and there's "0" heat dissipated from them now and, the same exact amount of light is emitted. I've got 6 of those puck lights and what used to be 60 watts of power being consumed, is now about 1-3. Multiply that times all the rest that I've changed and, along with the change out from 12V house batteries to 6V golf cart style, we're way better off than before.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Great post, as always, Scott.

LED headlights are going to get popular quickly, we think. Many high-end cars are using them. And (and I know there are several here that are irritated at my continual mentioning our transit bus driving experience so excuse me) many new transit buses are now being ordered with LED headlights. We know Portland's new buses coming in have them and the Seattle transit system New Flyer coaches are coming equipped with them in the new buses that are arriving. They are also retrofitting some of the older buses with LED headlights ...click here for an example.

So, in a few years, I'm sure we'll be seeing some motorhome owners retrofitting their rigs with them too.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Great post, as always, Scott.

LED headlights are going to get popular quickly, we think. Many high-end cars are using them. And (and I know there are several here that are irritated at my continual mentioning our transit bus driving experience so excuse me) many new transit buses are now being ordered with LED headlights. We know Portland's new buses coming in have them and the Seattle transit system New Flyer coaches are coming equipped with them in the new buses that are arriving. They are also retrofitting some of the older buses with LED headlights ...click here for an example.

So, in a few years, I'm sure we'll be seeing some motorhome owners retrofitting their rigs with them too.
amanda_h,
I surely thank you for your nice comment. I don't personnaly have any experience with the use or purchase of LED headlights. I'm basing my writing on what I've read in many posts on motorcylce forums. M/C guys are always goofing around with LED stuff and so are off road types. The comments I've read in the past have not been to favorable.

But, as always, it could be only one side of the story. LED lights, or bulbs I should say, have improved greatly over the last few years. However, based on my personal experience, I've found they do not "Broadcast" light as well as incandescent or halogen bulbs. Many of them are SERIOUSLY bright as you look directly at them but, turn around and look how far they light up and area and, it many times falls short of what their counterparts put out.

Now, I'm certainly no expert here and don't mess around with or, deal with the latest LEDs out there, espcially headlight versions so, I most certainly could be way behind the times here. Most, if not all of my experience is with the lighting INSIDE the coach and, some tail lights, side marker lights and a few perimeter lights.

I have two, so called "High power" LED lower driving lights on my Honda Goldwing and while an oncoming vehicle sees some fairly bright, lower lights coming at them, they don't put out much more than say, about 10' of light.

So anyway to the OP, if you start delving into them, you'll see lots of choices as described in the site I linked. And, you'll also see some prices that most folks shy away from. But, as also stated, that site is great to deal with and I've yet to have a bad bulb from them, all are high quality. You simply have to determine if the cost vs. the benefit is worth your while. We do quite a bit of remote camping and, as stated, the LEDs and the 6V battery setup has improved our longevity by quite a bit.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have replaced all of my interior lamps including the fluorescent lamps. I am very happy with it. Did it initially to save power while boondocking, have enjoyed the difference in light quality, especially the fluorescent lamps, much brighter. I didn't keep track of what it cost, it was quite a bit, but definitely worth it.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote